Simple microphone setup for Organelle?

cool

probably what id do, to make it a little more ‘general purpose’, is have a file called,
pd-opts.config (or whatever you want to call it)
then if /system/pd-opts.txt does not exist, then you are enabling (by copying pd-opts.config) , if it does exist, you delete it to disable it.
so its presence or not, becomes the ‘toggle’

similarly, copying the file, means you could put other options in it, rather than hardcoding specific options.

also id recommend you look at the other scripts, try to env var USER_DIR rather than usbdrive, as this makes it compatible if you move to use the internal sdcard

you’ll see I have the following in all system scripts

USER_DIR=${USER_DIR:="/usbdrive"}

this means if user_dir is set its used, if not it defaults to usbdrive
(but the mother host app will set it before calling your script :wink: )

Thank you. I’ll revise the script when time permits and post an updated version here. Hopefully, it proves to be useful to somebody else in the community.

1 Like

I finally managed to set aside time to look into the script again. If I have understood you correctly, you are suggesting something along these lines, right?

#!/bin/bash

USER_DIR=${USER_DIR:="/usbdrive"}

oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/clear i 1

if [ -e $USER_DIR/System/pd-opts.txt ]; then
  if mv $USER_DIR/System/pd-opts.{txt,config} 2>/dev/null; then
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/1 s "``pd-opts.txt`` disabled."
  else
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/1 s "``pd-opts.txt`` does"
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/2 s "not exist."
  fi
else
  if mv $USER_DIR/System/pd-opts.{config,txt} 2>/dev/null; then
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/1 s "``pd-opts.txt`` enabled."
  else
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/1 s "``pd-opts.config`` does"
    oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/aux/line/2 s "not exist."
  fi
fi

oscsend localhost 4001 /oled/setscreen i 1

Hi have a Zoom H4n and an SM58. Can you say more about how you set yours up to record into the Organelle? Do I have to use the command line as described below, or is there a simpler solution?

for the H4N connectivity, there are two choices:

easy = audio : take the output from the zoom H4N and feed its output into the organelle input

harder = use H4N as audio interface for Organelle
see, my earlier post including the link I included.
(the above post, is only about how to switch between configurations, you need to also have the correct pd-opts file to work)
note: using a usb audio interface will have poorer performance, than using the internal sound card of the Organelle - so you will have to increase the PD buffer size - which obviously increases latency.

1 Like

Is all of this talk about Zoom H4 and mixers why plugging an SM58 straight into the back with a balanced XLR-1/4" interconnect has a very quiet input signal?

The SM58 is a low impedance mic, best results is getting a mic pre amp in between :wink:

yes best results… but there are also those kinda clunky lowz xlr to hiz 1/4inch male adapter pieces… i found that if one of these is a must, plugging the xlr end of the adapter directly into the mic and then using a female to male 1/4inch to make the rest of the journey saves stressed inputs and outputs…s (on mics, pedals, mixers, interfaces, etc.)

Would a high impedance mic change that situation? I was hoping to keep my Organelle setup as minimal as possible. I already need a power supply and speakers for it.

so it’s funny pickleback, yr name::: drinkin a little earlier tonight and talking w another FOH soundperson at the venue where we were working. Picklebacks came up and i asked if he ever had a pickled pepper back… so now I’m tellin U and all: with a sweet whisky like jameson that hot salt tangy sour pickled pepper pickle back is flavorfuly dangerous. no kidding… now to this business of demystifying impedences, i hope…

SO… to answer this latest question, yeah a high impedance mic would change somewhat, cus it would be more like an avg electric guitar pickup… which in this context basically just means you will need a Lot more gain to make it audible. probably more than the plain ole line level stereo input yr organelle is fit with can provide. So, again just like @keymanpal mentioned you would very likely need some kind of preamp. High impedance mics are presumably less common and often older…if you wanna know basics of why/more see the post script below with the ∆

Anyway, what do you wanna do with the mic? If it is for vocalizing and processing effects, or bringing in other acoustic resonances: the simplest cheapest thing i can imagine is pretty much any battery operated voice recorder type gadget ever. Something like the Zoom H series models, as have been mentioned. you just need it to have a mic and a headphone out and the ability to monitor the live input thru the output… it is a condenser mic w it’s own convenient d/a converter at the headphone output… just like plugging yr phone/ipod/tape player/radio/etc into the back of the organelle, this headphone jack will give you plenty of level.

∆ i’ll trying to skim thru a lot of info and just give the gist here: basically from approx the latter half of the 20th century onward lo-z (aka lo impedance) mics became more and more common concurrently with the use of XLR° cables. Cables which could send stronger signals further with less interference than their unbalanced tip/shield 1/4 counterpart.*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
°XLR cables are rad b/c they perform a paradoxical trick for a clean signal to noise ratio: they send one signal as technically two signals and each of these are in opposite phase, and braided with the 3rd signal: the ground … very effectively eliminating a lot of interference noise. that kinda noise inaudible to the naked ear, the kind all around all the time (radio frequencies–am, fm, uhf, & electrical transmission ambience: the arbitrary 60hz cycling of alternating current, emanating wherever working electronic outlets are available in the US, and some other places… and then some states use 50hz, same diff, ostensibly… let the conspiracy theorists tease out the differences, a la 440 vs 432).
Forgive me if this is too damn much… or TL;DR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*as an aside lemme say that a 1/4 cable can also be balanced… these are called TRS (tip ring shield) cables… sometimes these are holding a left and right signal and sometimes they are carrying a balanced signal, just like the xlr cables, depends on context, installation, needs, available materials, lots of factors.

Yeah, I wanted a mic for doing voice manipulation with some of the sampler/granular and vocoder patches. I would have loved to be able to plug in a gooseneck mic, similar to what the MicroKorg has.