Getting tons of noise from mic

Hello.

My organelle arrived and I’ve tried sm58 and sm57. Recordings are really quiet and when i boost the signal in daw it just sounds terrible. Lot’s of noise.

From video’s I’ve seen people seem to be getting nice clear signal with dynamic mics. I’ve tried different cables, and I have unbalanced mono XLR to 1/4 jack.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Did you try any other input sources? what are the input level meters reading?

The input is technically a line in, so certain mics might require a preamp to get decent signal…

I tried the same mics straight in to DAW without organelle and the level much better. But with use of organelle (in sampler / vocoder etc) it’s just too quiet. I even have the ECM-MS907. It’s also too quiet. :frowning:

Yes, the organelle meters seem really low. 1 or 2 bars.

Kind of frustrating to have to buy a pre amp to test this.

After attempting to use an unbalanced xlr to line in converter into my organelle, I picked up an impedance transformer and it does the trick. It still doesn’t input a ton of volume but the patches are definitely usable with my mic now.

Thanks for this suggestion. I might have to try it.

I used my audio interface with phantom power mic and plenty of volume. I sent the headphone output of interface into the organelle. I got much more gain this way.

Not ideal if you are trying to play along to a track within DAW and you want to record the signal from Organelle, but it’s my work around for now.