Tiny Stereo Microphone?

I love how portable my Organelle is. Especially with a USB power brick. One thing I would really like is a small stereo mic I can just plug directly into the input (no cable). Has anyone seen anything like this? I have a T shaped one for my old MiniDisc recorder but it appears to be powered and wont work.

1 Like

Would the Shure MV88+ work for you? I just bought one and it sounds great. You would need to run a USB cable to the Organelle for power or have an external battery for it, though.

I don’t think you’ll be able to use any strong enough non powered microphones with the organelle as it doesn’t really have onboard analog gain control. I wished that I could use one of the kalaidaloop microphones but alas it didn’t work.

I did find this combination solution. Smallest I could imagine that would also work well…

https://www.microphones.com/microphone.cfm?urlid=358
With
https://www.microphones.com/microphone.cfm?urlid=2493

You could easily use Velcro to attach the pre to the side or back of the organelle and have all the gain you need for a stereo condenser that is tiny tiny. But that is close to a $300 solution.

Easier and cheaper would be zoom h1 with a 1/8” to 1/4” tracks cable into organelle. That solution would be $100 new and $75 used. This gives you all the gain you need drive the inputs of the organelle at the right level.

I definitely wish there was a more elegant solution to this. But these are my ideas.

Cheers!

Hey Organelle community,

I have been struggling to find similar solutions for my MPC Live since 2 years and I’ve finally found the solution and I’m happy to share. The MPC Live has the similar setup as the organelle, no preamp. There’s a gain control though but the signal is very weak.
Of course through a decent multitrack mixer, you can handle gain and Phantom Power but it’s not a portable setup.
I’ve wanted to use my microphones and trying to avoid buying new gears. I have an SM58 Dynamic Mic and an AKG S1000 Condenser battery 9V powered MIC.

First, I’ve found a portable, battery-powered PreAmp: Roland UA-22 Duo-Capture EX. It works well but I’ve found out that the 3 AA batteries are draining pretty fast. And I’ve still had to push the gain to the maximum to have something I need. So…I’ve searched for quite a long time for a independent gain booster and I’ve found the Triton FetHead. Super gain boost without any noise. A really nice solid built piece of hardware, made in Australia.

Then I wanted to have something more portable than the Roland UA-22 and especially more battery efficient in order to built my portable setup. I’ve found, after several hardware tests, the new Mackie M48 48V Phantom Power Supply with a simple 9V long-lasting battery. Again, super strong built. It has XLR input/output I’ve needed in order to connect professional quality Mic.

The solution price is $55 for the M48 + $80 for the Triton Fathead + 2 XLR cables (one MF and one F-Jack + any XLR Mic ($100 for an new SM58).

It’s not cheap but it’s robust and versatile.

I’ve been also wondering if it will work with this Mic: Tascam TM 60 Consendator mic

Is there anyone tried this one with the Organelle?

Hope my setup will helps some others.

Best,

Nicolas

1 Like

I went with the Zoom H1 used for ~$75 used and I love it. It’s super simple but the quality is pretty nice for my standards. It’s not the micro size I was hoping for but it’s super small and light. It even has a poopy built in speaker which can be fun for jamming on the run!

Does the Triton FetHead alone work or would I need to buy the M48 phantom power supply too?