201 programming resources?

Hey Everyone! Just got my 201 in the mail and am already loving it.

I’ve never coded in Pure Data or Faust, is one more intuitive/easier than the other?

Is it possible to port some of the simpler Organelle patches to the 201, for example ones that just use a couple knobs and not any sort of menu diving obviously?

Does it make more sense to try to learn how to code a patch on my Organelle first using the Youtube guide to writing patches? Basically, what is the difference between coding on the 201 vs Organelle?

Sorry for a zillion questions. Thanks in advance.

First time poster, hello world!

I’m in the same boat, with a fresh 201 but a limited knowledge of Pd. I haven’t used an Organelle, so can’t comment on the interchangeability of the patches…

I am familiar with Max, however, so I can “read” the patches as it were, and I had a good attempt yesterday at trying to change the speed of the vibrato on “Red Mode”. I was able to make it go really fast, but it sounded a little too crazy too quickly. I would like it to also go real slow with a low depth like on the old PP. Any advice on how to do so?

Also, one of my favorite things about the original PP was the Tune knob, so I could slide arpeggios up and down to make wacky sounds. Would it be possible to program one of the knobs on the 201 to act as a global pitch knob if I held down the shift key and turned say the surprise knob for example?

The 201 sounds so good, especially the string synth, and is a perfect complement to the original. They play so well together!

Hi @four_corners & @johnny - thank you for backing the 201!

Since you’re new to Pure Data, it might be best to download PD to your computer and learn there first. There are many tutorials to choose from, including those built into PD. Once you get the hang of it, you can dive into how the 201 works and start customizing existing modes or building new ones.

The biggest difference is that the Organelle is designed to be programmed on - it has an HDMI port for a GUI display and USB ports for alphanumeric keyboard and mouse. The 201 doesn’t have that functionality so you will need to program a Mode or Pattern on your computer and then copy it over to the 201 using the 201’s ‘Disk Mode.’

@johnny’s question about setting the tuning brings up a similarity between the Organelle and the 201. They both have a mother.pd file that handles global parameters (key presses, knob states, LEDs, etc). As with the Organelle, this file can be edited, but any changes will not persist if there’s a software update.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I’m one of those people that is very good at learning just enough to “tweak” code, but not dedicated enough to truly wrap my head around a specific programming language, so its nice that I can use the basic 201 patches as a starting point.

Even just things like tweaking the basic arpeggiator to go Up/Down instead of a single direction. Would also be cool to figure out how to sync the Vibrato to the clock rate for a patch, like the Vibrato = 1/2 the clock rate, stuff like that.

Not sure if this is something already in the cards, but it would be awesome for a future software update to allow the top left Shift button to be used as a second layer of options for the pots, meaning you’d essentially have 4 more parameters available. Just a thought!

Just a heads up to my book on How to program the Organelle in Pure Data, I leave you the link here:

For any questions hit me up!

thanks for the reply @chrisk, i’ll dive into the mother file, after checking out @MaurizioDB’s book :wink:

I love this little machine! And I’m already finding a whole mess of sweet spots. Right now the sampler through different pattern modes and “surprise” randomizer is just so cool, so much fun.

I explain the mother patch in detail in the book, it’s essential to the programming process, especially if you want to make patches from scratch. In the book the communication with the hardware controls on the Organelle and the patches is also explained in detail, so plenty of infos! The Organelle is fantastic!