Curious About this Exciting World

I just got the Organelle and am a complete beginner when it comes to this whole world that consists of music creation and programming. I’m a computer science major with about 15 years of experience as a guitarist (in terms of composition; not so much familiar with the whole gear side of guitar playing ). That said, I’m really hoping that i can become more expressive with my playing now that I have this device. So my question is somewhat meandering because I’d like to cover a broad range of topics in my post, and I apologize up front if I seem too uninformed.

1. Am i correct in my understanding that I could write pd patches to emulate guitar effects pedals? And if that is the case, are there any limitations?
  2. I’m really inspired by the synth tones that come out of the Brainfeeder LA collective. What else in terms of gear besides the Organelle would I need to start creating sounds like them, either sampled or crafted from oscillators?
  3. Can someone point me to some beginner references for topics including: DSP, coding soft synths, general computer-music production, hip-hop sampling techniques?
  4. I also have purchased an Akai mpk mini 2 and was wondering if it is within the realm of possibility to have Organelle and mpk mini 2 play with each other.
    and lastly
  5. I stated that I’m inspired by the tones that come out of the Brainfeeder collective, but in terms of song composition and live guitar playing, I really like the work of Kaki King, Blonde Redhead, Hop Along, and John Frusciante. Is it practical to use Organelle in live setups, or is it mainly a tool for sound creation?

Thanks in advance. Any advice or direction, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. I’m really looking forward to taking what I learn in school and applying it to the Organelle, so that I may provide excellent patches for the community

[quote=“garage_al_ghul, post:1, topic:1091”]

1. Am i correct in my understanding that I could write pd patches to emulate guitar effects pedals? And if that is the case, are there any limitations?
    [/quote]You are correct. Limitation is your patience while translating ideas to pd. And size/complexity of your patch…

2. I’m really inspired by the synth tones that come out of the Brainfeeder LA collective. What else in terms of gear besides the Organelle would I need to start creating sounds like them, either sampled or crafted from oscillators?
[/quote]Any specific tracks? I’m huge Brainfeeder fan also. To my knowledge most BF crew are using software (ableton) for synth stuff.

4. I also have purchased an Akai mpk mini 2 and was wondering if it is within the realm of possibility to have Organelle and mpk mini 2 play with each other
[/quote]Yes it’s possible but hard to say for sure without knowing how you plan to use them.

5. I stated that I’m inspired by the tones that come out of the Brainfeeder collective, but in terms of song composition and live guitar playing, I really like the work of Kaki King, Blonde Redhead, Hop Along, and John Frusciante. Is it practical to use Organelle in live setups, or is it mainly a tool for sound creation?[/quote] It’s like any other guitar pedal…are you using fx pedals in your current setup?