Damper / Sustain Pedal confussion

For some reason I can’t find a relevant info here. I’m struggling to setup Organelle with an external digital piano connected via MIDI. Keys trigger correct notes but the sustain/damper pedal (which is connected to the digital piano) does not work as expected, it does nothing. I checked both polarity settings of the pedal itself but it does not make a difference.

Is it possible to use Organelle M this way? The sustain/damper pedal of my digital piano works correctly when connected to any other MIDI instrument or DAW.

1 Like

Can anyone help with this?

To confirm, you want the digital piano’s pedal to sustain notes on the Organelle? or for the pedal to do something else on the Organelle?

Yes, I want the pedal to sustain notes when Organelle is controlled by external keyboard (digital piano) and the pedal connected to that piano. Just the regular damper/sustain pedal function (without any fancy half-pedal options necessarily, just the basic on/off sustain). Thanks.

So is there really no solution to this problem?

Most of the organelle synth patches don’t have a sustain feature built in, and if there is one I’m not sure its connected to the standard midi cc message which is MIDI CC 64. Which is probably what your electric piano is sending out. Sustain is tricky because it requires alot of polyphony which is alot of cpu. Which patches are you using mostly?

Thanks Jeremywy. Generally speaking, I was hoping this would not be a big deal and wanted to use it with all the patches which are synths and sometimes sample based ones. I tried it with multiple C&G patches as well as those from Patchstorage and have not found one that uses it in a typical way. Is hardware really the limiting factor here?

so the good news is the organelle’s mother patch turns on the footswitch with midi cc 64. so in the patches any use of the footswitch ( r fs ) will respond to that midi message. but the foot switch usually does something like trigger a recording or change a waveform.

so to get ‘typical’ behavior (close to what a classic piano does) you need to do some editing of the patches.

a good way to do this is connecting the r fs output to the latch control of the patches. most synth patches have a latch in the sequencer 3 functionality. I can post pictures of how to do this if you are interested.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a unit to test it in, but yes, please post some pictures. Thanks.

So as an example this is how to do the patches that use the seq3 functionality e.g. when you hold the aux button you see a menu.

First find the object named seq3. it usually looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 10.38.22

Then open it by clicking on it or right click and open, and now look for an object inside seq3 named ‘pd states’. open this object. it looks like this, attached to the aux inlet:
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 10.38.33

Then when your in pd states look for the object: ‘s seq3-$1-togLatch’. this is what controls the latch feature. Here make a new object and type: ‘r fs’ and place it by the togLatch object mentioned. now connect the ‘r fs’ outlet to the inlet of the ‘f 0’ object above the togLatch. This allows the footswitch function of the organelle(including the midi message from you keyboard) to toggle on/off the latch. also this allows the shortcut 5 button on the organelle to still control as well.
This step should look something like this:
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 10.38.46

then the final step which can be optional, is deactivating what the footswitch does normally in the patch. one helpful way to do this is to use the find tool in PD and search for ‘r fs’ and simply delete the connection to whatever parameter its controlling.

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you JEREMYWY. This is very detailed! You spent a lot of time helping me - I really appreciate it! It’s ironic I don’t have Organelle anymore :cry: