DrumAzing Looper Patch Idea

Hey! Organelle newbie here. I’ve had mine for a few days, and I’m really getting into it! I’d love to find some time to dive into PD, but my mind’s running crazy with applications that don’t yet exist, at least not that I’ve been able to find. So at the very least, this is me documenting them, haha. Here’s one that could be amazing for live drum looping, if anyone wants to take a crack at it, and prove your Pure Data prowess, feel free! As you’ll see, this would not be a very simple patch to create, but if it’s feasible, this could arguably be one of the most amazing and comprehensive drum loopers out there, both for creating/arranging, and performing live. It would be awesome to make a standard mic/line input-based version too, or even a version that could loop both drums and mic/line input. Some of these ideas come from my experience with Maschine MKII and also the iMaschine app. The global speed controls section was inspired by my Line 6 M9 guitar pedal’s looper and expanded upon. It has dedicated half speed and reverse buttons, which can make some amazing sounds. If we can somehow make this, I will happily use my graphic designer skills and create a printable overlay with all the sections & key functions labeled.

DrumAzing
A quantize-able drum looper, with 5 loop layers, global loop-speed control keys, and option for Stereo Mode or Split Mode (click left/drums right) with or without click.

Key/Knob/LED/Aux/FS Functions:
- LED = Always blinks at selected tempo to allow recording to grid without click track.
Stopped/Paused = Blink white
Recording = Blink Red, White when returning to start of sequence.
Playing = Blink Green, White when returning to start of sequence.
- Knob 1 = Set/Adjust BPM, or move to zero before recording to turn off quantizing.
- Knob 2 = Set quantize resolution (Whole note, half note, quarter note, 8ths, 16ths, 32nds)
- Knob 3 = Select Drum Sample Group (I can provide 808, 909, Linn Drum & maybe one other group of classic samples for starters) User can add their own sample groups too.
- Knob 4 = Stereo Mode Click ON / Stereo Mode Click OFF / Split Mode (click L/drums R) Click ON, Split Mode (click L/drums R) Click OFF
- Aux/FS = Record/Play/Stop/Overdub. Hold to Record/Overdub selected layer (first recorded layer starts upon receiving input) then Tap to finish recording and automatically play loop (automatically sets sequence length according to selected quantize resolution). Tap to Play/Stop.
- First Octave (Drum Samples) = 12 drum (or other) samples editable by the user, naming scheme 1.wav through 12.wav corresponding to C1 through B2.
- Keys C2 - E2 (Layer Section) = 5 recordable layers that play in parallel. Tap key to select layer (layer 1 is selected by default), then hit Aux to record/overdub that layer, hit Aux again to end recording/begin playback. Once recorded, tapping keys mutes/un-mutes the layer. Holding down a layer key deletes the layer’s recording, whether it’s a previously completed recording or in-process. This essentially would add an “undo” feature for each layer.
- Keys F2 - A# (Global Loop Speed Controls) = F2-Reset to Initial Recorded Speed, F2#-Reverse on/off, G2-Half-Speed on/off, G2-Reversed Half-Speed on/off, A3-2x Speed on/off, A#-Reverse 2x Speed on/off.
-Key B3 = Tap Tempo?

Bottom Left of Screen Would Display loop status i.e. Play/Record/Stop & Speed using traditional symbols:
Playing = :arrow_forward:
Stopped = :stop_button:
Recording = :record_button:
Playing and Recording/Overdubbing = :arrow_forward::record_button:
Half Speed = :arrow_forward:1/2
2x Speed = :fast_forward:
Reverse = :arrow_backward:
Reverse Half Speed = :arrow_backward: 1/2
Reverse 2x Speed = :rewind:

Hopefully that would leave enough room on the bottom right side of the screen to display 5 circles identifying each loop layer. Solid Circle = Un-Muted, Solid Circle with Black “X” inside = Muted, Hollow Circle = Empty layer. Ideally with a ring or square around the currently selected layer, so you know which one you’re potentially recording/overdubbing onto.

Ideally compositions would all be save-able using “Save New” and all knob settings would load at their saved positions until moved.

I like the idea of having all these functions available within the Organelle’s own 2 octaves. It enables you to record, overdub, manipulate speed, play on top of, and mute/unmute all without having to switch between pages or use a midi controller. It seems like having 12 keys dedicated to drum samples would be more than enough for most uses. The 5 layers would also enable you to build up and add/remove multiple different dynamics within one song all on the fly, even setting up different beats for verses/chorus/bridge/instrumentals. The ability to “Save New” each completed composition would then allow you to have a full setlist of drum compositions for a live show!
So yeah… definitely complicated. What do you think, is it possible?

1 Like

sounds cool! how did you fare?

Thanks! It’s far beyond my PD programming abilities, but I’m hopeful that either someone will feel like taking it on as a challenge, or I’ll eventually build up my chops enough to take a crack at it. Not quite there yet personally though :frowning: