New C&G Organelle Patches

I’m happy to see more C&G patches! This is wonderful stuff as always.

1 Like

Great souding over the big desk / P.A.!!Nice work :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, @chrisk Any chance of a brief video explaining the LFOmlog Aux menu commands. I’ve followed what you’ve written above, but I just cannot get my head around it. How do i record a sequence? To me, it’s really not that clear…sorry. Looking forward to delving deeper into this patch - it looks great!
Cheers, Paul
Update - I think I’ve figured it. Still confused about bpm though…(?)

Hi @ampism, In the post above, I updated the description of LFOmlog’s Aux menu. I hope that helps.

The LFOmlog patch does not use a tempo (in BPM) for synthesis. The BPM display is purely for sequencing. The sequencer can quantize the length of a sequence to the nearest quarter note if you send the Organelle MIDI clock or join a Link session. Playback speed will be synced to external tempo.

Thanks for replying @chrisk - Yes, makes more sense now. Best, paul

New Patch: Three Tracks
Layer three synth/sampler Tracks together. A Track is both the sound engine (eight synths/samplers) and 14 possible stored sequences. Possibilities!

Download: https://patchstorage.com/three-tracks/

What is this patch?

This patch has three ‘Tracks.’ A Track is both the sound engine (eight synths/samplers) and 14 possible stored sequences. Tracks may be played individually or all at once.

For each Track A, B, C, select a synth/sampler to play (Knob1). Dial up a track’s synth/sampler settings(Knob2-4). Record to one of the Track’s sequence ‘slots’ using the Aux Menu (more on this below). Repeat for the other two tracks. Create variation by:

• Recording new sequences for a given Track
  • Selecting other sequences while the other two Tracks continue to play the same sequences.
  • Changing the synth/sampler on a currently playing sequence.

Control the volume of each Track via the Mix page. There is a fun LFO mix control which automatically fades Tracks in/out at the LFO rate.

The BPM page has a tempo control and metronome control. Dial up a specific BPM so the sequencer can quantize sequence length to the nearest quarter note. Alternatively, if you send the Organelle MIDI clock or join a Link session, sequence playback speed will be synced to that external tempo.

How Do I Use this Patch?

The Aux Button controls a new ‘Aux Menu’. When you press Aux for 0.2 seconds, a new menu is displayed on OLED Screen for as long as you hold Aux. The available Aux Menu Commands depends on which ‘page’ you are currently viewing (AKA ‘On’). The Right Column never changes.

To select a Menu command/Page, use the Top Row of Organelle keys. There are 10 possible commands selected by the 10 keys. The low C# key selects Top Left command. The High A# key selects the Bottom Right command. The Command Grid is to be read from top left to bottom, then top right to bottom.

If Track A/B/C Page is ‘On’ the following Aux commands are available:

• Seq:Play/Stop - Plays or Stops selected sequence
  • Rec:Off/Armd - Controls Sequence Recording:
  • When selected, Sequence is first Record Armed (Enabled). LED will be Pink. Sequencer is waiting for knob adjustment, key press or incoming MIDI note.
  • When knob adjusted, key pressed or MIDI Note received, Recording starts. LED is Red.
  • To end recording, press Aux (new seq begins looping immediately). LED will be Green and flash White on quarter note.
  • Dub:Off/On – Overdub on top of existing sequence. Counts in 3 Sec before starting recording. To end recording, press Aux and sequence begins looping immediately.
  • Undo – Reverts Sequence to previous state. If this command says ‘Undid’ you cannot ‘undo’ further.

The Bottom Row of keys selects one of 14 Sequence ‘slots’ to record to. Changing sequence slot will change the number that precedes the command in the left column.

If Mix/BPM Page is ‘On’ the following Aux commands are available:

• PlayAll - Plays all three tracks’ selected sequence.
  • StopAll– Stops all of the three tracks.

The PlayAll and StopAll commands are not the same as turning on/off all sequencers in Tracks A+B+C individually. The last OLED screen line may say ‘Stopped All’ even though one or more sequencers is playing.

The Bottom Row of keys will not control anything.

Tech-y Specs :

There is a Transpose control for each Track. It is located at the end of the list of synths/samplers (Knob1 all the way right). The keyboard is muted when this control is selected. Take care not to have ‘hung’ MIDI notes if you enter Transpose control with sequence playing, etc.

For those users who become comfortable with the Aux menu: If you press both Aux and Menu command/Sequence Slot key before the menu is displayed, your choice/command will be accepted.

Footswitch: N/A

MIDI: ‘Live’ keypresses (MIDI notes) are sent out on the MIDI Out Channel configured in System/Settings/MIDI Setup menu. Sequences send MIDI notes out on different channels. Track A sequenced notes are sent on Ch. 1. Track B sequences are sent on Ch. 2. Track C sequences are sent on Ch. 3. You can modify these channels by editing the [pd Sequencers] file in main.pd. There are comments showing which objects to modify.

Some fun ideas :

• The tracks can play any sequence - they don’t all have to play the same sequence slot: You might find that Sequences A2, B7, C13 is the combination you are looking for. Or maybe it is Sequences A5, B1, C12!
  • You can use the same synth/sampler across all three tracks.
  • You can play the keyboard on the Mix page. It will play the three voices (one from each Track)! If you have sequences playing you can play on top of them. Things can get weird quick, but if you make each track a variant of the same synth/sampler, you can dial up some nice combinations. The only problem with this feature is that you will want to sequence your sounds here and there is no fourth Track to sequence this! One solution is to sequence with MIDI from an external MIDI device or DAW.
  • You can record sequences with only knob adjustments (no notes) for loops of automation.
8 Likes

New Patch! Transient Segmenti
A recorded track is automatically sliced into up to 24 segments (one per key) depending on where transients are detected. Create up to 14 possible stored sequences from segments.
Download: https://patchstorage.com/transient-segmenti/

WHAT IS THIS PATCH?

This patch has two main functions: 1. Record audio and automatically slice it up into as many as 24 segments based on where the patch detects transient sounds in the recording, and 2. Use keyboard or the sequencer to play segments in new ways/orders.

HOW DO I USE THIS PATCH?

Use the Encoder to navigate between the Sample View/Rec and Jam Options pages. Sample View/Rec shows a waveform and lists how many segments (sections between detected transients) there are. The Jam Options page shows speed, pitch, segment length, and input monitor controls.

Additional patch controls are available from the ‘Aux Menu.’ The Aux Button controls the ‘Aux Menu’. When you press Aux for 0.2 seconds, a new menu is displayed on OLED Screen for as long as you hold Aux. The available Aux Menu Commands depends on which ‘page’ you are currently viewing. The Left Column never changes.

To select a Menu command/Page, use the Top Row of Organelle keys. There are 10 possible commands selected by the 10 keys. The low C# key selects Top Left command. The High A# key selects the Bottom Right command. The Command Grid is to be read from top left to bottom, then top right to bottom.

The following Aux commands are available on the Left Column:

Seq:Play/Stop - Plays or Stops selected sequence
Rec:Off/Armd - Controls Sequence Recording:

• When selected, Sequence is first Record Armed (Enabled). LED will be Pink. Sequencer is waiting for knob adjustment, key press or incoming MIDI note.
  • When knob adjusted, key pressed or MIDI Note received, Recording starts. LED is Red.
  • To end recording, press Aux (new seq begins looping immediately). LED will be Green and flash White on quarter note.

Dub:Off/On – Overdub on top of existing sequence. Counts in 3 Sec before starting recording. To end recording, press Aux and sequence begins looping immediately.
Undo – Reverts Sequence to previous state. If this command says ‘Undid’ you cannot ‘undo’ further.
Latch: Off/On - Toggles between playing segments after releasing keys or not.

The Bottom Row of keys selects one of 14 Sequence ‘slots’ to record to. Changing sequence slot will change the number that precedes the command in the left column.

If you are on the Sample View/Rec page the following additional Aux command is available:

RcIn:Arm - ’Arms’ recording of new sample (aka Record Enable). Once armed, recording starts when incoming audio level crosses amplitude threshold. Pressing Aux after arm will cancel recording. If you like a recording, be sure to use the ‘Save’ command in system command so you can revert back to it in case of accidental record. Recordings can be 12000 milliseconds long or a maximum 24 segments. If recording has less than 24 segments, the segments will be repeated across the keyboard.

TECH SPECS:

For those users who become comfortable with the Aux menu: If you press both Aux and Menu command/Sequence Slot key before the menu is displayed, your choice/command will be accepted.

Footswitch: N/A

MIDI:

• ‘Live’ keypresses and notes from Sequence playback are sent out on the MIDI Out Channel configured in System/Settings/MIDI Setup menu.
  • Sequenced knob adjustments are sent out as CC messages on the System MIDI Out Channel. Knob1 = CC21, Knob2 = CC22, Knob3 = CC23, Knob4 = CC24.
  • If sending MIDI clock to Organelle or part of a Link session: Sequence length will be quantized to nearest quarter note. Otherwise BPM is ‘Off.’

FUN IDEA:

• Existing sequences can be applied to new recordings!
6 Likes

fantastic!

Any chance of a Transient-CAmenti? Is that a combination that would work?

2 Likes

Found that lfomlog doesnt’t respind to midi, while other patches do. Can anyone else check this please? Using an m-audio keystation 32 and it’s supplied usb wire.

Thanks for pointing this out. We’ll take a look!

1 Like

New Patch! Distributor Record

Record samples, slice them up on the fly, and weave them across time with other sample slices all while arpeggiating and looping them!

This is an improvement of the original Distributor patch. The big updates are the recording function and better arpeggios.

Instructions & Download:
https://www.critterandguitari.com/organelle-patches/distributor-rec

Patch demo:

6 Likes

One thing I did recently to make the Tremolo more interesting was use MOD Learn in Orac 2 to modulate the Tremolo rate with a separate LFO. This makes the speed change like a Leslie cab!

When I open the Distributor Rec patch, it says “sounds”, but then I click on that and it says “no patches found”. What am I doing wrong?

Presumably I need to record some audio in to the Organelle , but how? @chrisk

It sounds like patch was not installed correctly. You should not see the sounds folder when you select patch with the encoder. Can you try again?

Ok thanks @chrisk, will try and let you know.
Paul

Seems to be working now! Cheers @chrisk

New Organelle Patch! XY

A grid-based sequencer with two playheads - one for each axis. Add ‘triggers’ to the grid to build patterns. Control playhead behavior to play grid pattern in different ways.

Instructions & Download: https://www.critterandguitari.com/organelle-patches/xy

Patch Demo:

4 Likes

Fantastic patch!
But I have a problem: in the main screen the word BPM doesn’t appear and pressing the aux button doesn’t start the sequence.

1 Like

@fr.genna - Sorry about that! I just uploaded a new version of the patch to Patchstorage. Can you download and try again? Thanks

1 Like