Orac 2.0

yeah, its a ‘feature’ - the issue primarily being overloop didnt ‘manage’ the wav files, it just kept creating more ‘ad infinitum’, which obviously doesn’t fit well with a kit model.

I guess I also thought more of overloop as a recording samples in a ‘session’ rather than over multiple sessions.

changing- its possible depending on how confident you are with PD… the complexity in the patch is caused by how it interacts with the keyboard of the organelle.
probably if you prefer the old behaviour its almost as easy to ‘reconvert’ overloop from orac 1.0 to orac 2.0 - as its not much… BUT it then suffers the issues described above, it would not be particularly useful for using with other orac modules :frowning:

(I think on other modules, ive limited the sample # to 1…64 iirc… this is to allow easily selection given the resolution of the pots on the organelle)

Sounds perfectly sensible, mate. I just wanted to make sure, whether I was missing something, or it was normal behaviour. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Lukasz

And thanks a million, Mark… hats off to @WyrdAl :wink:
Works as you say and can be handy to have around… I wonder if there is more tricks to it…
I won’t loose much time, “energy” would be wiser spend adapting patches to Orac and learning it inside out :wink:

1 Like

Took my first stab at converting a patch to a module. I didn’t succeed this time but I think I can get it. Might take a couple more failures.

1 Like

Hey guys, I apologize In advance for any annoyance. My Orac is crashing any time I run a High cpu module. Be it if I run two instances of brds (in parallel) or if I run the freezer effect on anything or any Easteregg modules. My basic setup that wont cash is
A1 polybeats
A2 Sampler 24
B1 Seq 2
B2 Brds.
With these 4 patches loaded the organelle is reporting 84% CPU use in the info screen.
I updated to the latest version of Orac and my organelle and PD is updated accordingly.
Im using the stock tiny black C&G flashdrive if that means anything, currently there is 1GB of storage used on the flash drive. I tried deleting Orac and reistalling it (while it was still in beta) and I have updated to the non beta version. Any info or suggestions would be really appreciated. Hope you guys are doing well!

1 Like

shout if you need any help… there is an orac developers thread on the forum which might be useful/ a good place to ask questions etc.

ok, for me its about 75-78%, but thats definitely in the same ‘ballpark’

Brds is a heavy CPU synth, even when I released it as a standalone module I only enabled 4 voices , because 4 voices + a reverb was hitting the limits, so no surprise you can’t get 2 in orac :wink:
This is why I provided a mono version of it (and others synths) so that when you dont need polyphony you can save the cpu.
(*) in PD, each voice of a poly synth consumes a good deal of its cpu load regardless if it its playing or not.

at the end of the day, the Organelle is a single core arm processor, so it has its limits,
Orac cannot increase this, rather it just allows you to choose where you want to use it…

does Orac carry an overhead vs a single patch?,
sure a very small amount, but its actually pretty efficient since compared to most patches :
a) it dynamically loads modules… so only what your using consumes cpu/memory
b) all the parameter overhead, drawing, updating is all done in C++ , not PD
so most of the cpu load you see, is due to the module processing rather than orac.

so its a bit like a PC/DAW… on a low powered computer, if you go grab a few hungry VSTs, and use multiple instances - you will bring it to its knees :wink:

(note, the info screen % is not quite accurate, its about 5-8% off, as it includes the load to run python and the OS, not just Pd - but doesn’t really matter, since you wont be able to run at 100% without audio glitches )

ok, thats i guess is the ‘bad news’, but let’s look at this more positively, what can we do…

• turn off wifi, this does increase CPU load a bit, and causes potential audio glitches.
  • use mono versions of synths where you can, they save considerable cpu
  • different fx and synths required more/less cpu - learn which ones combine well e.g. basically requires much less that analogpoly, reverb less than r_reverb (rings) … edrum is very cheap!
  • samplers generally use less cpu, but with large samples can start consuming memory (which is also limited)
  • sequencers don’t tend to use too much cpu
  • the fx are quite varied, some are really ‘cheap’, others can use quite a bit of memory, and/or cpu
  • easter egg modes - many (not all!) patches for the organelle were designed to use the available cpu/memory, so of course, with some you are not going to be able to run much else alongside them :wink:

I guess, since I put these things together, I have a ‘feeling’ of what uses a lot of cpu, and what not, but I think others have gained this out of experience - I actually find it quite fun to see what I can get out of it :slight_smile:

Actually, perhaps we should run a challenge to see who can get the most out of Orac from a musical perspective - personally, Ive been quite surprised what you can do with a bit of creative thinking (particularly, using the ‘cheaper’ module or samplers )

4 Likes

Quick Orac question:
I’ve not delved into the Orac world yet favouring simplicity but am I correct in assuming I could run 4 ’ Sampler Style Delay’ in parallel?

If so that would be pretty awesome.

1 Like

Ah! Thank you so much @thetechnobear. I really appreciate it. I’ll be more careful which what patches I run! I have a high decay on every synth I use, that may have something to do with it too. I just love brds so much easily my favorite for chill chords ! I’m gonna maybe try some of the recommended chains by other users to see how I should build mine. You always help me so much so as always thank you for ORAC and the help ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

can’t remember the functionality of this patch, but for sure you can run multiple samplers on different chains.
(the current parallel router offers 3 chains, but you could change to 4, or depending on what your doing e.g. using sequencers, you could possibly use 4 in 3 chains)

1 Like

Hey @thetechnobear,

Did the Destination function in the final Orac 2.0 release change? It seems to be acting differently than it did in the betas. If I’m on demo2 for example, changing the destination doesn’t seem to work like before. unless destination is at 0, where normal behaviour is observed.

For example, on demo2, if destination is set to 4, then shouldn’t the organelle keyboard be playing the brdsmono synth?

no change , as far as I remember…
and its working here, as you say , demo2, set to 4 , and it plays brdsmono on B1

not sure why its not working for you :confused:

Thanks for testing that out Mark,

I figured out (sorta) why it wasn’t working. I recently got a new SD card for use with the Organelle, and it seems like that is the source (somehow…)

For when I switched back to using the C&G SD card + the usb storage the destination function worked fine

I will have to investigate further, maybe I have to wipe the new card and set it up again.

1 Like

Hello! Slatra author here. It was indeed not updated for Orac 2.0, but it is now. https://patchstorage.com/slatra-2/

7 Likes

a humble suggesion, perhaps orac 2.0 modules could drop the s- , f- type prefixes as a quick indicator to users that they have been ‘converted’. ?
(the prefix is no longer needed since modules are now put in sub-directories/categories)

2 Likes

Agree. Patch Storage doesn’t (I think?) allow a patch’s URL to be changed, although I did rename the patch itself and associated files to drop the prefix. To drop the prefix in the URL, I’ve created a new patch on Patch Storage for the Orac 2.0 version (changed link above too).

1 Like

Hey @Wannop I think it was you who modified/added LFOdelay to orac 1.0…? It’s a total favourite, if you end up fixing it so it also works on 2.0 let us know ;–)

I did. I’ll try! I’m sure it’ll be fairly simple. I also made a full stereo version which was very fun. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that when I point a modulation source to a target (say – oscillator tuning) it takes complete control over that parameter, i.e. the Organelle knob doesn’t change anything, only the modulation changes anything. Am I missing something?

Yeah that’s the way it is… it takes over the parameter.
as mentioned above, I plan to rework this is a future release to make the whole modulation feature more flexible and more intuitive

2 Likes

Hi!

I’m having trouble saving a preset in Orac 2.0. I use the encoder to press ‘Save’, and when I re-open the patch later it’s gone and I’m back to square one. Am I missing something? :face_with_monocle: