Orac 2.0

a thought on this… like everything in Orac, this is stored in a preset.
so if you change this, you will want to save the preset, and potentially update other presets.

Anyone else lose their orac 1 presets after renaming their 1.0 folder?
My guess is to rename it back to plain “orac” will resolve this - has anyone renamed the new orac (2.0) folder instead? It seems like this would be ok but I don’t like to assume anything…

That should not be the case!
Orac 1.0 used whatever was in its current directory only, doesn’t care about the name - I usually had it in a sub-directory under patches eg /Patches/tb/Orac (*)

Orac 2.0 is different as it stores it’s presets in a ‘common’ place away from the patch directory so that upgrades won’t overwrite them.

(*) I guess you could try putting the old Orac in an ‘old’ sub directory , but as I said this should not be necessary.

Hi!

I might be stupid, however I’m getting tired of getting this thing to work. :slight_smile: I got my guitar plugged in to the input of the Organelle and I want to create a series of effects in Orac 2.0. I can see on the input level meter that the Organelle is getting signal in, but I can’t for the life of me get the incoming audio to pass through to the output. I’ve tried basic stuff like just putting a reverb in one of the chains. What am I missing here?

This has such a great potential and I’m so eager to get it going properly! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

you need to turn the In Gain up on the Chain
S1 (=router) -> page = Chain 1 Gain -> in L/R gain = 100%

the reason I default to 0% is because if you don’t have anything connected to the Organelles audio input, you get noise thru, which is audible … so its better for it to be ‘off’, unless your are explicitly using audio input… (and then you also want to say which chains gets the audio)

also this approach allows you (connected with chain pan option) to process a stereo signal, as 2 mono signal, each going down a different chain

2 Likes

new version of Orac 2.0 is out - and its now officially ‘released’ (so its not a beta anymore - yeh!)

thanks for all the feedback, its a much better release for it.

there are quite a few changes in this update, including bug fixes.
a special thanks to Javier Nonis who sent me a fix for Mi4Pd which now means all “shapes” are now working in Brds - which is very cool :slight_smile:

I hope to put out the easter egg details tommorow in a video, as Ive just finished off the template.
(note: you’ll need this release to use it)

10 Likes

fantastic news! thanks mark :smiley:

Excellent news about Brds

If I have some work done in Orac 2.0 already, how do I go about updating it to the final release version? Or should I delete the folder from my ORganelle pendrive, and start all over? I don’t mind that, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t any way to avoid it :slight_smile:

Awfully nice meeting you at the Supebooth last week (at the XAOC Devices booth)!

Cheers,
Lukasz

1 Like

was great meeting you at Superbooth too :slight_smile:

to update, simply install as normal.
it will only overwrite the factory presets/samples, not new ones you have created. - I assume this is your concern?

(nothing should be writing in the main /patches/orac directory)

if you wish to be extra sure… you could backup the /media and /data directories before upgrading, and copy them back if you have any issues.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark! I must say this Orac 2.0 stuff is really great – much more reliable, and faster. Also, I can’t seem to shake off the feeling the whole Organelle sped up with this update (but that might be due to the required PD update, right?).

Cheers,
Lukasz

1 Like

Ok, easter egg is released … watch the following video for how, and what :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How do I go about turning the notes thru off in chains? I’ve got Genny in the first slot of the Chain B. Then S-Latra in the second slot od Chain B, and then Overloop in the third slot of Chain B. Even if I turn Note thru off of the S-Latra slot, Genny (from the first slot) still triggers the Overloop. Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

fresh install of the latest orac - it does not contain a -media/orac/usermodules folder, nor does the UI recognise the presence of a usermodules folder, subfolders or modules if I create it.

@thetechnobear any ideas?

sd card storage, pd 0.49, transferred over web server and installed via .zop launch

no idea, works perfectly here…
this is all done by the deploy script, so the only reasons I can think it doesn’t happen is…
a) using orac 1, not 2…
b) not installing via install zop (i.e. just unzipping)
c) non 3.x OS

do you have presets? does sampler 24 etc play samples?

are you looking in the right place?
if you installed on the SD card , of course the media folder will be in
/sdcard/media
its always on the same volume as orac is installed…

note thru is off by default.
S-Latra is not a ‘factory’ module (and honestly not one i know) ,
has it been converted to 2.0? if not then thats probably the issue, or if it has been converted its, not been done quite correctly :wink:

im sure if you try with any of the factory synths you’ll see its working fine :wink:

I knew I should’ve checked it before posting – and sure enough it works with other modules… The patch is this one: https://patchstorage.com/s-slatra/ I don’t know why I assumed it was Orac 2.0 compatibile, as it’s been published 2 months ago :slight_smile: Sorry for the fuss.

On another onte, what do I do to make Orac 2.0 write new Overloop samples to the Kit folder within the Samples folder within the Media folder within the Orac folder (which are loaded with Overloop), and not in a similar structure, but situated in the main Organelle directory on the USB drive? Orac 1.0 saved them into the Sounds folder within U-overloop, and they were available for later use. In Orac 2.0 it loads the same default set everytime. Thanks!

[Edit: Weird thing – it started loading files from the Media folder in the main Organelle directory, perhaps I missed it the first time. But when recording it goes up to number 24, and starts from 1 again, i.e. it overwrites files from the beginning, so there are only 24 files in the folder).]

Cheers,
Lukasz

1 Like

RE: usermodules installation problems

Thanks Mark, figured it. I was looking for:

-rootdrive- Patches/orac/media/orac/usermodules

when it should be

-rootdrive- media/orac/usermodules

I watched the easter egg intro video for guidance and must have misread how the directories were forking out. I figured they must have been stored within the orac patch folder. All sorted now :slight_smile: Just had a little jam with arper, the Juno 106 patch in easter egg mode and a nice bit of r_reverb. Amazing!

Is easter egg mode any more taxing on the organelle than running a proper orac module converted from the same patch?

I remain a little confused by the duplicate sampler kits in both the embedded orac/media/samples folder and the /media/samples folder at root. Is this something left behind by the previous beta?

2 Likes

no, the idea is quite simple…
the patch (orac) is supply some default samples, which are copied to the media folder if you have not already got some installed… but if you already have some installed, or have updated them, then it will not overwrite them.

I could potentially delete them after the install, but generally we have enough storage space for it to not be something to worry about…

tldr, the ones in the patch directory are not used, they are just used to as samples for the initial install :wink:

1 Like

ok, not sure if this is related to the above post :wink:
so orac only ever uses the media folder from the root , so /usbdrive/media or /sdcard/media … the one in the patches/orac/media is only used to ‘seed’ initial samples - so that when you first use orac, you have some initial samples to play.

overloop - so the original overloop never overwrote samples recorded, so might end up at 100.wav.
but that doesn’t really work well if you want to then play back samples within sampler24 (or whatever).
so I thought it was better for it to keep 1-24 samples, and loop around on these…, so that you know when you can record a sampler in overloop, and then you know what sample # this is, so you can play back in sampler 24 (or whatever)

the basic premise here is quite simple, that we want to have all sample recorders and playback , working from common ‘kits’ and samples.

so its a small limitation (max 24 samples) on overloop, but hopefully integrates better with the rest of the samplers.

(we could increase this, to say 64 samples, but the I chose 24 as it matched the keyboard layout… so you could see it as looping around the keyboard - but that was just what ‘felt’ right when I was coding it :wink: )

I see – so it’s not a bug, it’s a feature! :smiley: Is there a way I could change that number myself? I liked being able to use Overloop files later as samples in other gear, hence my question.

Sorry about the samples directory mix-up – I must’ve forgotten how many samples I’d actually recorded…

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Lukasz