Orac : release 1.0

you’ll need an sdcard writer for your computer. then :

• download the 3.0 image from Index of /organelle/diskimages
  • download etcher , from http://etcher.io
  • pop out the microsd card from your Organelle
  • insert sdcard into writer on your computer
  • start etcher, select the image you downloaded, and your sdcard , write image
  • pop sdcard into organelle (carefully, dont drop it inside the case :wink: )

its quick and easy to do, once you’ve done it once.

thats it, the whole OS is replaced, so like new…

if that doesn’t work, I wonder if something is wrong with the usb port (I assume you tried both?!)

all really odd, whilst I’ve seen on here lots with issues with bad usb sticks, when they replaced the stick with a decent quality one, the issue has been resolved.

good luck i hope you get it resolved.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, Roberto here. I wrote to your youtube channel yesterday and as you asked me I’m moving the question here.
So the issue that i found on my organelle is like the Orac won’t load some module like for example the clock module or wavescanner or analogstyle, or the R-1x10… and I saw the video Orac - Mark Harris from Antonio Machado on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1fYYE622Iw) and looks like if on his version he can load more module, I have just 7 module (m7) and that’s it.
Hopefully this could be useful to other users having the same problem.
Thanks again for your help and your job Mark.

1 Like

hi @Robvis thanks for coming here , much easier if we keep things in one place.

ok, i think we need to take a step back, and first determine if the UI is confusing you, or if its a technical issue.

let start with some basics.

• are you running OS 3.0 or OS 3.1?
  • what usb stick are you using? id highly recommend you do not use the white one supplied by C&G… its slow and unreliable. (and Orac dynamically loads patches)
  • when you say it doesn’t load, what do you mean, what happens?
  • can you walk thru the steps you use to change the module, step by step.
  • is your problem with every module, or just specific modules.

next lets clear up terminology, so we are talking the same lingo :slight_smile:

there are 10 module slots, you can switch between them using encoder + aux to bring up a list, then click the slot you want to use
in each of these slots, you can load a ‘module’, to do this click the encoder to bring up the main menu, then click the first item (which will be the module name) , this brings up a list of module types, scroll thru the list, and click the encoder when you get to the one you want.

to be clear, the encoder is used in threeways.
modules parameter page (if >1) - turn encoder
menu use - click and then release, and turn encoder to select items
shortcut (e.g. module selection) - click and hold, and then press a key (e.g. aux)

so you do not need to hold the encoder down when using the menu.

exiting menus, the menu will timeout after a couple of seconds and return you to the parameter screen.

hope this helps
Mark

1 Like

Hello @thetechnobear, just want to say I think this is amazing, and a great step towards making the organelle so much more powerful.

The amazing thing is I assumed that this sort of module / multi patch solution was going to be an organelle 2.0 release by C&G because of the amount of work needed to do this!

I have one technical question. How careful do you have to be with CPU intensive modules? Does chaining 5 regular modules together start getting shakey?

I’ll be sure to add a couple of my patches that I haven’t been releasing due to bad UI into this now! This coupled with automatonism will make creating complex and interesting sounds more simple.

Thanks so much!
Andrew

1 Like

this is a common question… and the answer is simple.
it depends :slight_smile:

honestly, ive filled up all slots, without issues with sequencers, synths, fx
but i respect that some modules are expensive on cpu, so if im doing lots, then i use the cheaper version
e.g. if im doing a bass line, which is monophone, I might use basicmono, as its 4 times cheaper than basicpoly…
similar lmnts, can be quite expensive, so if im doing lots of other things, I might not use it.

in the module list, i tried to give an indication, if someone wants to update this to be more accurate that would be awesome.

I’ll leave you (and others) with two thoughts

• limitations can be creative, you’ll be surprised how good some basic synths can be thru a good reverb - learning how to use orac most effectively will take a time, its quite deep :wink:
  • the modules, orac is designed to make modules easy to build.
    the modules a lot are C&G ‘conversions’, and whilst they are wonderful, they were not build with Orac and multiple modules in mind. I could see that in the future, other modules will be made where the developer will know and respect that their module is part of the patch, and so does not overwhelm it - so perhaps some lighter modules, that sound great when tied to certain fx etc.
    (unless of course they want it to be use as a rack of 1 module, which is ok too, but then they will have to ‘explain’ this to their users :wink: )

@thetechnobear Maybe add that routing modules or the clock module can be placed in any of the 10 slots :wink:

@Robvis in my video I’ve started adding modules from the end so m9: (key 9 on the Organelle)

1 Like

Ok, sorted out. I just erased the patch from the organelle drive (the black one with 16 giga) and installed again. The only difference with my first installation was the restarting of the organelle. Let me explain myself better. First time after the installation the patch said: installation completed restart mother (I thought you meant the whole organelle’s system) second installation (now) I just restart the patch without turning off the organelle. Now everything work perfect and this patch is just amazing. What was happening before was like if the patch was at 70% so this mean that the module at my disposition was 8 from 0 to 7 and as soon the oracle was loaded the screen was just black with only the level of the input and the output. Now for example when I load orac start with your preset. Anyway I starting my shift now. Late tonight I’ll try again but looks perfect now. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Odd, shouldn’t matter if you restated as long as you used shutdown on menu, if not then possible that it got corrupted.
Anyway glad it’s working now.
Happy music making :slight_smile:

Hi, first of all thank you for that cool patch… i’v got one question about sequencing arps and syncing them with link – my first attempt was to build a chain with seq2 in first slot then arper in the second and basicpoly in the third. when I record a sequence lets say over 2 or 4 bars the arpeggio/seq always shifts and changes over time. is it possible to “autodetect” the bars played that it cuts where the bar starts/stops so that the arp sequence remains the same as played without shifting melody over time?

currently no… though in the future i do actually want to improve U_Clock so that not only does it send out ticks for sync, but also sends out bar/beat timings - this way we could then update the sequencers to quantise to these boundaries.

(what’s really cool, is that we can also inherit these from Ableton Link, so that external devices will be perfectly quantised too!)

1 Like

What happens if none of the slots have a clock or routing. So these defer to defaults or the last used?

No clock, no play/start/run… U- modules, sequencers, Arp

Edit: no routing… no audio and probably no MIDI.

1 Like

Having fun with Orac but I definitely need to get a grip on its limits, which I guess will be mostly trial and error even with the ratings system and user feedback.

Had the default + Over loop + LMNTS + Pitch shifter = game over. After reading the thread I was sort of expecting problems throwing LMNTS in there but wanted to get a handle on what I can/can’t do.

Organelle is currently kind of frozen. What’s the emergency shutdown shortcut? Its letting me kind of fumble around pages with major lag but not in a way that will let me access the shutdown.

Edit - found the ‘hold encoder down for 4 secs for shutdown’… No joy, just got a permanent buzz now and can’t even turn volume down… Will just pull the plug. Wonder if there can be some kind of failsafe built in? Like a safety net where a module just won’t load if it’s gonna cause issues? But guess the cpu load of a module is dependent on how you use it? Maybe someone smarter than me can think of something that’d do similar?

Does ‘Everything’ get saved in an Orac patch? Modules + Current sequence/s + all modules’ params + any new/current samples etc? Just wanna be sure I know when I can save and return to something later vs when I should record to daw or it’ll be gone :wink:
Thanks.

1 Like

I have this in my mind…

1 Like

Samples and sequences are not saved , that’s the responsibility of the module.

Lmnts might just be acting up… as has been reported earlier.

The cpu estimates was just a quick guess, if others have more accurate estimates that would be useful , you can go to info to see current cpu load.

1 Like

Loving Orac!! Really rad to play around with the Rings patch. Have a lot to figure still, but THANK YOU. This is an amazing tool for Organelle.

1 Like

Thanks very very much Mark,

Now I have to buy an Organelle ( odd to say since I have so many real one’s… we all are multicellularfor free.)

Quick question… could one use OTC as a patch in Orac? Guessing no since OTC makes a Organelle not an Organelle any more? Best - tefriot.

1 Like

Any future plans for full current state Save similar to the VCVRack save system? Not the end of the world but would be very handy if it’s possible…

OTC unfortunately not, OTC uses 100% cpu on its own - no room left for poor organelle to make music at same time - you need 2 organelles :slight_smile:

@Generationloss anything is possible :slight_smile: