Organelle still sending MIDI data w/ system MIDI settings disabled

Hi,
Sorry if this is a daft question, but…

I am playing a MIDI file out of Pro Tools, through a MIDI interface, into the Organelle, and then to an external synth… Even with the MIDI settings in the Organelle’s System menu set to “Disabled,” the Organelle is still sending data to the external synth.

I thought that if I disabled the Organelle’s MIDI out, it would stop all MIDI data from being transmitted, no?

Another, related question… Do the MIDI settings inside the Orac patch supersede the MIDI settings in the System menu?

Thanks for any insight into my obviously misunderstanding something…

Cheers,
Andrew

Did you Save the settings in the MIDI menu? Save is at the bottom of the menu.

Yes — many times!

is this just Orac, or other patches as well?
(this will let us know if there is an issue with mother.pd)

also if you relaunch the patch are midi save, does the issue persist?

yes, Orac has a different approach to midi, for a couple of reasons
the basic, receiving/transmitting the raw knobs (cc21-cc24) makes no sense for a multi page patch

Orac has midi learn to allow you to control parameters in a much more controlled way.
Orac supports midi in/ out on different midi channel for different chains.

I think there is a small issue in orac, if you ‘save midi settings’ whilst its running, as this re-enables it.
(but thats appears to be the opposite of what your describing)

all that said, Im running a ‘dev’ version of Orac, which Ive changed the midi implementation on, so it might be theres a bug in the released version, that Ive already fixed , so might be why I’ve not seen it.

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for your reply, and for all your videos, etc. They have been very helpful!

As for this particular problem, it seems to be every patch, not Orac specifically. I am just starting to explore Orac and it seems pretty amazing. I was trying to explore the “midi in/ out on different midi channel for different chains” feature when I encountered this issue. I switched to some other patches to try and see if it was specific to Orac, but the problem persisted.

I don’t believe I’ve altered my Mother.pd patch, but I will investigate this front a bit more and see if perhaps it’s been corrupted somehow. Thanks again for your help.

Best Wishes,
Andrew

I have a similar problem.
Whenever I send midi out to an external instrument lets say in Chain 2,
the modules in chain 1 will also send midi to that same instrument… however the midi out for that particular chain is set on zero… so pressing the buttons in all the chains will send a midi message… Can someone tell me what to do?

I have another question as well:
Is it possible to have actually several inputs ? If I achieve to change the interface - which I didn’t do yet, Can I then have different inputs in different modules? So I would rather want to bypass an external mixer because that actually also results in just 1 input,
Thanks
all the best

RM

okay important detail: I m loading the meadowphysics module with the monome 64.
If I use polybeats as sequencer the problem doesn t show up… :neutral_face:

after changing and completing (for multiple midi devices) the file ‘patch-loaded.sh’ it seems to be solved…

Still any thoughts on that input issue?

so yeah, the issue you probably had was generally the organelle sends out midi based on the system settings, so with Orac I usually turn that off … (Orac 2.0 is going to be a bit different )

audio input…
so in orac 2.0 , Ive got ‘split stereo’ handling, this means that you will be able to do things like, send the right input down one chain, and left down another (and centre them respective to the modules input)

one “limitation” is that all modules can have a stereo input (which is common, e.g. most daws assume a track is stereo :wink: )

however…
in orac 2.0 - Ive made the router modules much easier to create, such that even non-programmers will be able to create their own routing.

what this means is if you have a have more then 2 inputs, you can create a router than routes down different chains. e.g. say you have 4 (or more) inputs, you’ll be able to create a router, that has 4 chains, each taking their own input.
(obviously, within the limits of the processing power of the Organelle)

Hi @thetechnobear ,

Thnx for your answer. Thats clear.
Although this version is already ace, I m excited to check the update some day.
All the best
RM