Organizing scenes on Eyesy

Hey!

I’m wondering is there a way to organize / re-number saved scenes in AP? I’m making text modes that match every word to entire songs worth of lyrics. The number of modes I’m working with is getting really up there. I’m saving those modes to scenes so that PC I’m data running into the Eyesy consistently selects the correct mode. Just would be nice to be able to manage and organize all this without having to use the on screen display and a google spreadsheet haha.

Also on a similar note is there a limit to how many scenes can be saved? Or is it just base on the size of the SD card? I’m currently running off of a 64 Gb as card. Would be nice to know if there’s some sort of cap not related to the card space…

Thanks!

Yes, you can edit the Scenes.csv file on the browser-based Editor. Each line is a Scene. After you save your changes you will have to Stop Video and then Start Video for changes to be accessible with the Scene Selector buttons. You can also download the .csv file, edit on your computer, and then upload back to the EYESY.

I’m sure you are aware, but all of those modes will have to be loaded into RAM at boot up. This shouldn’t be a problem if the modes are just displaying text, but just wanted to mention another way that just used one mode…

If you have fewer than 128 lyrics you could put them in an array and then use the etc.midi_notes list to control which lyric is displayed. From the manual:

• etc.midi_notes - A list representing the 128 various MIDI note pitches. Each value in this list indicates whether that note is current on or not. For example, you could create a threshold function that executes when “middle C” (MIDI note 60) is being held down with something like…
if etc.midi_notes[60] : yourfunctionhere()

… so you might have an array of your lyrics like so: lyrics[happy, birthday, to, you] and when your computer sends a predetermined MIDI note to the EYESY the mode displays a lyric per MIDI note:

if etc.midi_notes[1] : print lyric[1]
if etc.midi_notes[2] : print lyric[2]
if etc.midi_notes[7] : print lyric[3] & print lyric[4]
…or whatever makes sense…
(the above example is just pseudocode so won’t work as written)

You rule Chris! You’ve been super helpful the past couple days… I had poked around to try to find a scenes folder earlier today and couldn’t. Im realizing now that was probably because i didn’t have any scenes saved yet, duh. I see it in the main folder now. I was trying to avoid having to re-program 8 songs worth of midi PC data in Protools that was controlling changing MODES since i didn’t have any SCENES saved. I realized that thats extremely dangerous though considering if the save button got bumped once on stage it would fuck up my entire set worth of programing so i’m just saving all the modes i was using as scenes and programming all that PC data to match the correct #’. Knowing about the Scenes.cvs file saves me hours of scrolling time, so thanks thanks thanks!

2 other things:

#1 I have no idea what youre talking about in regards to loading something into the ram, seems like i just boot it up and it works… Sorry for my ignorance but i’m a total novice could you explain this more to me?

#2 So for the text display what i’ve actually done copied the Slinky Clock mode modified it to use the font type my band is using for the record campaign were about to start and then i’m changing that unicode data to change the 88888’s to one word per mode. Then duplicating the mode and repeating the process for the next word etc. It looks awesome and i’m really happy with this effect, but obviously its been time consuming. Is there a way to apply this etc.midi_notes thing to use inside of Mode such as the Slinky Clock or others?? if so that would save me some serious time.

Thanks again!
Sam

I can answer #1.

When you first start the Eyesy every mode that you have on it gets read from the SD card and loaded into the ram. You can see the list of modes flicker through when you first boot up.

This means that every mode is running and can be displayed instantly. It is not being read from the SD card when you press the mode button.

Effectively every mode on Eyesy is always running in the background, even if only one is being shown. This is the key point.

The amount of ram is limited. So…

If you made loads of modes you could reach the limit of the Eyesy’s ability to hold those in ram. So then it would be really slow or might not start.

I don’t know what the limit is practically, but I imagine if you’re making 200+ modes then you might run into issues. Depending on the size of those modes.

Got it. That makes sense. So basically since everything is running in the background if could overload the RAM as some point. That’s good to know! Thanks!

1 Like