OTC v1.5 - ETC on Organelle

ok, so its just not finding the modes…
(its entirely correct for OLED to remain blank, until it loads the first mode, which it cant do , since it cant find them)

are you running Organelle 3.0 or 3.1, this is a requirement, it will not work on Organelle 2.x
thats the only thing i can think of, since it otherwise looks ok

I certainly appreciate you helping get this sorted, i guess my machine is just not going to run it. I have updated to version 3.0 and i just tried to run OTC again but no dice. Thanks for all your time. Kindest regards and thanks again for all of you great work for the Organelle!

Not to be ambiguous, ive been updated to 3.0 for several months, i didnt just update recently.

Thank you! As a pd novice, and someone with no coding experience I was able to get OTC loaded up and working on my first try.

– Hanging with ETC on the monitor
–running OTC
modes : /usbdrive on Organelle screen

start otc mother
init fb0
about to draw. size x = 1280, size y = 720, bpp = 32, y virtual = 1440
red offset = 16, blue offset = 0, green offset = 8 
alpha offset = 24, alpha length = 8 
line len whatever that is 5120
cleared bufs
start splash
start python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "otc.py", line 11, in <module>
    import sound
  File "/usbdrive/Patches/OTC_Mother/sound.py", line 1, in <module>
    import alsaaudio, audioop
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/alsaaudio.so: file too short

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/alsaaudio.so: file too short

this means your install was corrupt, so the either doing download, or more likely when it was copied from your usb drive to the internal sd card

did you run OTC_Install, and did it not report any errors?

make sure if you do doing the install its from a high quality USB stick (e.g. SanDisk) ,
(not the white one supplied with the Organelle, which is known to have issues)

so reinstall OTC_Install with this in mind, and if you get the same error, Id like to see the OTC_Install.log too.

Thanks so much for checking it out. I’m on the newer Sandisk USB. It now runs and appears to attempt to load the modes, but the Organelle screen then goes black and the display goes back to home. The Organelle can still be operated so it’s not a full crash.

hmm, yeah, something is still not right

Loading 0 - Sound & MIDI Evaluation
error in setup, or setup not found

and probably more worrying (and possibly the cause of the above)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "otc.py", line 156, in <module>
    etc.memory_used = psutil.virtual_memory()[2]
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'virtual_memory'

but Ive checked your install log and it says its successfully installed this module
(and everything else)

Processing ./psutil-5.4.1.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: psutil
  Found existing installation: psutil 5.4.1
    Uninstalling psutil-5.4.1:
      Successfully uninstalled psutil-5.4.1
  Running setup.py install for psutil: started
    Running setup.py install for psutil: finished with status 'done'
Successfully installed psutil-5.4.1

so its looks a bit like last time, where for some reason… part of it is getting corrupted as it installs.
(last time it was alsaaudio.so, this time something else)

I wonder if the issue is, that the USB drives are just not very reliable for bigger installations…

its very strange, lots of no trouble, and then others have seem to stumble with completely different issues, as if something ‘random’ is failing. -also notably, those that get it installed, have no issue with it.

hmmm…

what I would probably try is to freshly format the USB stick (in FAT32 format)…
either this stick or another, obviously back it up first, if your using the same one for other patches.

as I suspect, its only the OTC_Install, and once that has ‘worked’, you dont need it any more…
so if you the usb stick is freshly formatted perhaps that will help.

the other possibility i can think of is the sdcard is giving errors (not easy to check without the console), less likely as they are more resilient, and there is not much write activity.
if you have an sdcard reader/writer , you could reinstall the Organelle,
(theres instructions on the forum, its very simple… if you use something like etcher.io)

its a pain, but unfortunately it looks like either the usb disk is corrupting when reading it, or the sd card is corrupting on write.

unfortunately, i cant know which from the logs… im starting to wonder if its more likely the sdcard, the reason is… the files are copies across as zips, and so I think if they were damages whilst reading, i think this would break the integrity of the zip file… similarly i also have a checksum check in the zop file so i know they are not corrupted …
(I put this on, as large patches and the OS updates were also frequently getting corrupted)

(… im sure we are only seeing here with OTC install, because its a lot of files, and some relatively large)

So I should first attempt reformatting the USB and reinstalling everything?
And if that yields the same errors I should assume it’s an SD card issue?

yeah, id probably try the USB stick first, just because its quicker/easier…

also, its seems to fail in different places, so perhaps you’ll also just be lucky, and one particular install might work.

what I would do on the sdcard side, is take the opportunity to grab a new 8gb sd card, then install the new 8gb sdcard image, that allows you to store patches on it - if you have (or later grab) a wifi stick, will move you forward to goal too.

(I dont think C&G have released a 3.1 4gb image, though, tbh, Ive not doubled checked )

sorry, i know it all seems a hassle, but as far as i can see this is hardware related, rather than something I can do anything about from a software side.

we could manually start doing things, (which is handle id handle it on my own organelles)
like reinstalling on only parts that seem ‘damaged’ , or running fsck on the usb and sd card to see if there are errors.
BUT this really needs users to be very confident and familiar with the command line.
so, I’m not too keen on this, as if I have to provide step by step instructions, it becomes hugely time-consuming for me, and potentially frustrating for users. (and frankly, its not worked too well in the past)

update to OTC v1.5 smooth as butter :slightly_smiling_face:
:palms_up_together:
:pray:
:raised_hands:
@thetechnobear!

guys, the big question for me is: i want to pick a etc, but the organelle sounds much more capable of doing other stuff. what would be the main difference between etc and otc?

ETC:

• dedicated hardware interface
    i.e. buttons/knobs are labelled.
  • official support by Critter and Guitari
    whereas, OTC is an open source effort, so I support as best as I can.

apart from that, OTC has all the same features (plus a couple of extras), and can run all the same ‘etc modes’, and the hardware is essentially the same.

really it comes down to what you want…
if you only need visuals, then get an ETC.
if you need a synth/fx, then get an Organelle… and you can try OTC too.

important note: on the Organelle you can only run OTC or a synth patch, you cannot run OTC and a synth patch at the same time, it simply does not have the cpu/memory to do this. Ive been asked this a few times now :slight_smile:

cool :slight_smile:
so it runs smoothly as the etc or it has some downsteps on the performance? because if it runs as in the ETC and i can still create patches for it, i don’t think I would consider the ETC because we have so many possibilities with the Organelle!

Also, dedicated MIDI port on the ETC

oops forgot that one…

also, something else i forgot ETC has a dedicated audio input gain knob
(this is handy for trigger levels)

i tend to forget these things, as i have a USB -> midi din cable for the organelle, and also I tend to send the audio to OTC via a mixer (so i adjust the send level on the mixer)
( id expect most do something similar with ETC, as you cannot pass the audio thru it)

same performance and functionality …

I think it comes down to , do you primarily need a synth/fx…
I think a few have used OTC and then gone on to get an ETC, since they want to use the Organelle as a synth/fx at the same time as having visuals - so then and ETC makes perfect sense, since its a dedicated to the task.

so in some ways OTC is a good introduction into ETC to see if its something you really want/need.

anyway, id always grab an Organelle, its a great all-rounder… but perhaps im biased as I mostly use it for sound :slight_smile:

Does the HDMI behaviour not differ between the two in terms of resolution and stuff like that? I know for a fact that my OTC doesn’t work with my projector and from memory I thought others had issues whereby the ETC worked but the Organelle did not? Would have to do a search as this is based on my poor memory.

Resolution is identical.

Please remember, it’s the same microSOM in Organelle and ETC.
(what differs is the buttons, knobs and midi din which are connected to the micro controller. )

Hdmi compatibility,
a couple of users have had issues with OTC with some hardware, but the same is true of ETC - but we don’t have any reference to say those with issues in OTC work on ETC or vice versa.

So honestly hard one to call about better/worst compatibility - with 1.5 , I’d say it’s at least comparable.
( and if I get to release the Linux upgrade project then it will definitely be better on the organelle due to much newer drivers)

So I guess this comes back to official support,
If OTC does not work, you have no recourse - with ETC, you have C&G.

As above, I think potential owners should chose the device that matches their primary need,
so consider OTC is a bonus for Organelle.

Note: I don’t think it makes any difference to C&G if you buy an Organelle or an ETC, they get your money either way :wink:
( which is fair given their dev effort on etc, and one reason I won’t make a rPI install for OTC)

@thetechnobear replacing the internal SD card fixed it, I’ve got it up and running now. Thanks for that.

Any particular reason/solution for the Trigger modes not having an achievable “trigger” for me as far as noise input level goes? Neither direct line-in nor my preamp on full blast can trigger things. No volume seems to suffice.

I assume you mean on trigger modes , so T-…

does the trigger key work?
iirc , the info page shows the trigger level… (also the 0-sound test mode, or whatever its called) :slight_smile: )

i saw this before…

so perhaps this is your issue?

as i mentioned above, when I send in mono signals from my mixer, I always centre pan them…

the issue being the trigger level uses an average of L/R ,so if you only put a signal in Left, then its only ‘half’ volume…

as i said, not really sure there is a solution to this, as for a stereo signal you would want this behaviour, I think…
we could trigger on left or right reaching trigger level, but that would then that would feel quite low for stereo signals.

I guess the real solution, is for me to allow an adjustable trigger level, that way it could be reduced for mono (left only) input.

(ETC: does not have this issue, as it only has mono audio input)