Overdubbing

This should probably be obvious, but I read the entire manual and still don’t understand. Does overdubbing just mean it records the mic signal and picks up whatever is coming out of the speaker, or does it somehow mix the existing loop signal with whatever comes in through the mic?

Stock behavior has no internal mixing of the existing loop and mic signal. In other words, the mic picks up the speaker just like how you described. This does mean you can’t do overdubs unless you’re using both the mic and speaker, but it wouldn’t be too hard to mix the signals together in mother.pd

Thank you. I am imagining a scenario and wondering how hard it would be to do with PD. So you record one loop and then the next. While recording the second loop, it internally mixes it with the first, and that becomes your new main loop that is playing, but it still saves the first loop as a wav (I think it may already do this), and the second loop, unmixed, as a wav. And so on and so forth, so at the end you’d have one loop of everything mixed and one individual file for each thing you recorded. It would save a mixed loop (and keep playing it) and an unmixed loop (on the side) with every record pass.

I guess I’m imagining listening on headphones while doing this, so it’s a good time to ask if the output is hot enough to hear anything if you plug headphones into it.

Thank you!

The workflow you’re describing sounds closer to a multitrack looper like the 5 moons, specifically the part about saving each pass as its own unmixed wav. I could see it getting complicated pretty quickly but it’s not necessarily impossible. A simpler solution might be to add a catch~ to the pd record subpatch of mother.pd and make a playback mode where one of the knobs controls the level of the original loop to be recorded (similar to how the organelle patch KLoop-Over works).

I was able to get a decent listening level on my headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) when I turned the volume all the way up. It is a mono line out though so you’ll have to either fiddle with the jack or be okay with only hearing things in your left ear. IMO it’s simplest to use a small mixer if you have access to one. If it has aux sends then you don’t even need to do anything on the pd side of things for overdubs

Yes, if the 5 Moons came battery powered with a built-in mic I’d be all over it. Looking for something I can set up on the piano and not have a bunch of wires running around. Thanks for the tip about Kloop-Over. I have an Organelle so that may be the best solution in the end. I’ve mostly used it as a sampler so I need to spend some time with the loop patches. Thank you!