Recreate the a BOSS SP-202 on the Organelle?

Practical or no?

My Organelle shipped today and I’m excited as ever. And even though I’m a total ignoramus when it comes to language, Ixm looking forward to learning PD.

So, basically the functions of the SP-202 are

• Sample in 4 different rates, mono or stereo (31.25KHz, 15.63KHz, 7.81KHz, 3.91KHz) @ 16 bits

• Trigger in gate or one shot mode

• reverse sample

• mark start and end points

• FX - Filter, Filter w/ resonance, ring mod, pitch shift, time stretch and delay

Thoughts?

Everything in the list should be relatively straight forward to do with Pure Data Vanilla’s objects, except for pitch shift and time stretch… But maybe those two features could be borrowed from the granular patch that Critter & Guitari released.

Also, they released a sampler for the organelle (Sampler Style), so I’d start from there, more so if I was beginning in Pure Data. A couple of modifications here and there and I’m sure you’d be pretty close. (I didn’t try it yet though, I’m also waiting for my organelle to show up!)

That being said, if you aren’t familiar with dataflow coding, I’d read a couple of tutorials to get started and understand the paradigm before getting into this. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the interface and some basic objects.

1 Like

Check out the rjdj library of patches: GitHub - rjdj/rjlib: Abstractions and externals for writing RjDj Scenes

Filter:

• e_lop2 - 2-pole resonant lowpass filter
  • e_lop4 - 4-pole resonant lowpass filter

Delay:

• e_dubdel - beat synchronized pingpong or dub delay
  • e_fbdelay - feedback delay line
  • e_fbdelay2 - feedback delay line (stereo)

Pitch shift: Pitch shifter

Time stretch: http://www.katjaas.nl/pitchshift/soundtouch~.html

2 Likes

Yea, this thing is definitely going to end up with me getting a divorce.

3 Likes

This is something I’m very happy to hear is a possibility

I forgot ring modulation, but it’s trivial with the |*~ | object: http://pd-tutorial.com/english/ch03s06.html

the divorce or the SP 202 capabilities

1 Like

can you upload the patch when you’ve finished it? Apprecieate :pizza:

1 Like

So a year later and intermittent absorption of PD (still have a ways to go)

I plan to start working on this now.

One other question…I’m racking my brain trying to visualize it. And I don’t think this could actually be done.

This would have to clearly be a menu diving patch, which means losing the Aux button. On top of that, how would chopping and assigning (copying) samples to each button be achieved? As well as the “marking” the start and end points on each button.

i have done some of this work already for you at least as it relates to Katja Vetter’s “soundtouch” stuff. i think the best way to learn pd and to make that patch which sounds super interesting btw! and like the comments you’ve already read…so many of the fun things you want to do are peppered in patches that sort of already exist so i urge you to step through A good tutorial for a sampler and the rest will come as you develop your own style.

i will share that pd and especially pd vanilla can be a little daunting if you have not programmed a Data flow language before but once you get comfy it’s like having a magical art toolkit.
Welcome to the list and good luck with your endeavors!

Patrick

3 Likes