Serialosc/monome with Organelle?

Thanks for the interest in the patch, unfortunately this thing is still very much a pre beta version that requires way too much TLC to get it running properly. I will have to revisit the patch to optimise its size and parameter configuration, which will happen since I up my pure data game by each new patch. However these patches are all relying on the presence of specific hardware controllers like the APC mini which makes them not very usable to most of the organelle users.

Iā€™m having a problem connecting my monome (64 grid 40h model) to my organelle. Itā€™s so close to working that Iā€™m hoping it should be a simple fix but I just cannot figure it out. I think the source of the problem is that the ā€˜serialoscā€™ object creates okay but when I open it, it is missing some objects such as ā€˜pipelistā€™, prependā€™ and ā€˜unpackOSCā€™, which all seem to be OSC objects I thought would be installed with the serialOSC installer package. Does anyone have any idea why these are missing and how I can get it working?

Couple of other things that might be useful to know:

• The PD extended folder is on my organelle USB
  • Iā€™ve been testing the ā€˜serialoscā€™ object directly on the organelle via tigerVNC
  • The serialosc object and monome work 100% as expected on my MacBook using PD extended which suggests itā€™s not a hardware issue
  • The ā€˜gridā€™ object outputs correct button press data when the monome is connected to the organelle but does not work with LED messages (Iā€™m guessing this is because grid was made to work with 128 and not 64 grids). Additionally when running the serialOSC install the LEDā€™s light up as expected upon completion. This suggests the physical monome to organelle connection is fine

This all makes me think that the issue must be the missing objects in the serialosc object? I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas to get it working? Or even a working version of serialosc and/or the missing objects compiled for organelle?

Really appreciate the help! Keen to get this working as Iā€™ve been building a sequencer for monome/organelle/CVpal which Iā€™m hoping should be really interesting to use.

Also, heads up that Iā€™ve cross posted this on the Lines forum so apologies if you see it twice!

I have a similar grid, and I couldnā€™t use the grid object for lighting up the buttons either.

I also couldnā€™t use /monome/grid/led/level/row, I think it assumes varibright grids. I think I read somewhere on Lines that itā€™s supposed to work anyway (like ā€œ0-7 is off, 7-15 is onā€ or something), but I had no luck.

What I ended up doing for my variant of jblr (which is the only monome patch Iā€™ve used on organelle), was to not use the aleph apps at all, just regular serialOSC, and /monome/grid/led/set for turning the LEDs on and off. Not as tidy, but it works.

I donā€™t have access to my organelle rn, so I canā€™t help you about your missing objects. they should be in pd-extended.

Good to know you had some success eventually! Did you post that patch anywhere I could take a look at? No worries if not.

After a session of troubleshooting last night I have made some progress. By separately downloading the OSC and list-abs objects, then putting these in the patch folder and changing ā€˜prependā€™ to ā€˜prepentā€™ Iā€™ve got some of the missing objects working. The only thing missing now is ā€˜import OSC mrpeachā€™. I can see form the patch comment that this is something to do with importing the monome libraries? I canā€™t find an ā€˜import OSCā€™ object anywhere in PD extended or online though.

@sno. Would you be able to share this compiled patch? :upside_down_face:

sorry but I donā€™t have a compiled patch, I just made a quick test with pd on OS X cause I donā€™t own an Organelle anymore.

I know itā€™s a very silly question, but I just want to get it right: so a usb hub sends and receives midi messages as well? in this case you connect usb from grid to hub and from hub to organelle? thanks :slight_smile:

Yeah - hubs work fine

No worries, thanks!

i converted this

check it out ā€“ i am hopeful it will work [because v1 was too slow]
for the 7 loops but now :wink:

I actually have been working on an mlr-like thing as well! I dont have a monome, but Ive made a fake/almost fully-cloned ā€˜serialoscā€™ object in pd_lua for the apc, which should be easily adaptable to any grid based controller (assuming we are working with individual midi notes for each grid button).

I use the mlr framework this person has http://www.josephbranciforte.com/pd.html.

You can see stuff here, I have a bunch to do and its all a mess, but this is functional if you clone the repo and put it on the organelle (and have an apc).

my ā€œserialoscā€ code is (right now) the apcnome.pd_lua, if you all want to see what I am doing, I am going to separate out eventually all the apc specific stuff and make this more abstractā€¦

2 Likes

Hi!
Does serial osc work on the new organelle m 3.2?
I can do the serial osc install but my grid is not recognised at the end of the installer, when it says plug / unplug your grid.
Im am powering it trough a powered usb hub as suggested, also tried plugging directly without a change.
Thanks!

Well, i cant get this one to work unfortunately. I get stuck on the last step of the install, i have tried with sudo /home/music/fw_dir/scripts/remount-rw.sh before trying to install serialosc from the organelle installer, but no luck :frowning:

When i tried loading any of the gris studies files the pure data console reports serialosc coulndt create

I had to install the files by hand and they work now.

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.

I tried modifying the install.h files and other combinations but have not got it to work unfortunately.

Any chance you could point me out to what files and to what folders i need to install the files?

Im completely lost here, thanks a lot!
much appreciated !

open the termainal
type
sudo mount -o remount, rw / [enter]
Then copy all the files to where the instal.sh says they should go

Thanks @shreeswifty !
Cheers!

ok!
So i got it working :slight_smile:
Many thanks!

sorry im a little confused. is there a conversion of this that you made for the organelle? If so, id love to check it out.

Iā€™ve got no luck with my monome grids on the new Organelle M.
I installed serialosc with this intaller : https://patchstorage.com/monome-grid-apps-serialosc-installer/
The ā€œgrid appsā€ provided donā€™t work (no error message).
When I try to load the app I was working on (first on my Mac, then ported to the Organelle) (containing the [serialosc.pd] subpatch), Iā€™ve got a bunch of errors, cf. the screenshot.
The grid apps (kria, meadowphysics, etc.) are working on my Organelle 1 and I believe I used the same installer.

Sorry donā€™t have grid or anything so canā€™t really helpā€¦ but Iā€™d just look at each error in turn.

The recv error looks likes a network error , perhaps cannot connect to another process.

The no method error is sending a message to serialosc that it doesnā€™t understand
This is because your sending it % , this to me looks like a substitution error somewhere

What I would do is try sending a hard coded message to serialosc and checking you donā€™t get this messageā€¦
If no issues then it looks like an issue with connecting to other process.

In which case you need to check to see how serialosc is being started - there are subtle differences between Raspbian and arch Linux.

What Iā€™d do initially for testing purposes is run serialosc manually

1 Like