Setting up WiFi on the Organelle

I’m really confused by the ‘oppressive’ slant being made against this forum, it’s by far the most supportive i’ve ever used. People rarely get fobbed off unless they come in asking how to get midi out of their headphone jack, even then they are referred to the manual - which just makes sense. Actually - i rarely see ‘rtfm’ on here, people usually explain the process case by case. Thetechnobear especially writes essays upon essays answering queries.

6 Likes

Definitely second @Wannop !
Im also confused that like… the implication is that connecting to a wifi network is too esoteric or alienating to “musicians first” types of people; that there is not formal manual (??), and all that.

But like… Even if true, the only reason you are connecting to wifi is to like… create pure data patches correct? Because let me tell yall that if your so stressed about this kind of very technical day-long-fiddling, esoteric/inconsistent support resources, not getting immediate satisfaction, etc… Just wait till you start trying to do pure data! It is great, and easier than its peers, but still unashamedly finickey and raw, and probably pretty at least counter intuitive to “musicians first”!

Its all really rewarding though, but definitely like, you know, much harder than troubleshooting network problems…

1 Like

Two people disagreeing and one slightly in the middle with the opinion about a wifi issue and how it was being handled is hardly saying this whole forum and the people who run it are oppressive…This was solely about the wifi issue being discussed and one person (me) making a comment that falling on the idea of it being a “user error”, dismissing the efforts of people here who are trying, instead of it realizing nothing was provided in the manual about what adapters (other than the one on their site) to look for including the compatibility details. Nothing at the time was in the manual. @TheMoonshiner (sorry I know you don’t want to be brought up) has the manual printed with the date it was printed if you need receipts to see that it wasn’t in the manual. They added the details after. This issue doesn’t apply to the whole forum and team. We don’t need the peanut gallery to make it about something it wasn’t. The comment below yours is a clear example of that. Assumptions about how, why, and skill levels aren’t helping the case. This issue was also done with and the people involved have moved on so we don’t need to continue this.

Your tone and language from the beginnning has been non constructive and confrontational. You and @uhohthrowaway did make negative reference to the forum, (even in your above post :confused:) so don’t be surprised by comments from the so-called ‘peanut gallery’.
It’s not a given that a company give information about third party products in a manual about their own products. Although, if you needed it - you could have done the research here or by email before you spent your money on a non-C&G wifi adapter. You, like most people who come here with issues - got a lot of help. The difference was, you didn’t deserve it and didn’t thank anyone for it. Try another approach in the future.

1 Like

@Wannop Can this stop already… it’s off topic now. Go message each other if you both want to debate on past drama.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a breaking of those rules which was objected to. Doesn’t happen often.

Hi,

The USB WiFi adapter is not a drive (nothing is stored on it). Please follow the instructions in the section called Sync with Instruments on an Exisiting WiFi Network in Chapter 5 of the Organelle’s manual.

Thanks @chrisk
1. In the SYSTEM menu, navigate to Settings > WiFi Setup . This will create a text file on the USB drive called wifi.txt. .
2. Eject the USB drive from your Organelle.
3. Insert the drive into a computer and find wifi.txt in the drive’s root directory.

(I have followed these steps, but hit a wall (again) with my initial problem (regarding step 3) The drive’s root directory is nowhere to be seen on my computer - wifi adapter is flashing but there is no directory to open in order to access the txt. file. Maybe this is a Windows/Mac issue. I will attempt to do it on a Mac when I find one.

Are you connecting the USB Drive (if it is black it should say SanDisk on it) or the USB WiFi adapter to your Windows computer? These are two separate things.

The USB WiFi adapter

AAAAHHHH! I feel like such a fool :confused:

totally mixed the wifi adapter with the usb drive. sorry for time wasting, and thx for responding!!

No problem! Glad it got sorted out!

I have connected to Wifi before, connected to my home network, used AP mode, etc.
For some reason I can’t get any of these to work now. Even plugging in the USB to change the wifi.txt isn’t working for me bc nothing shows up on my computer.

Webpage just says, 'This site can’t be reached" everytime I load the .local page.
Any suggestions?
Again, I’ve had all of these work before, but i’ve been waiting for an hour trying to connect and figure this out. NO IDEA what to do.

What USB? a USB flash drive? or the USB WiFi adapter?

With the USB WiFi adapter connected to your Organelle, try starting AP Mode. Then you should be able to see a network named ‘Organelle’ appear on your computer. What OS are you running btw do you know?

Sorry should have clarified.
My USB WiFi adapter that came w/ the organelle doesn’t show anything.
On the other hand my flash drive does have WiFi.txt file but nothing actually happened when I changed it and loaded it into the organelle.

My mac is on SIerra 10.12.6 which is behind, but it hasn’t given me problems before.
AP Mode also didn’t seem to work, though Organelle popped up in my networks.
For some reason the Patch Manager just doesn’t show up.

So Organelle network did show up, that is good. Were you able to join it from your computer? Sometimes using “organelle.local” in the browser can be trouble, so you can also just try the IP. Check the Settings → Info menu. I think in AP mode the IP is always 192.168.12.1, so in your browser http://192.168.12.1 should load the Organelle webpage.

Amazing, thank you. I totally spaced on the IP being displayed on the Organelle…smh