Organelle "Problem Connecting" to WIFI

What should I do when the Organelle says there is a problem connecting to wifi? I already changed the wifi file to include my username and password on my computer.

Hello!
Does the AP mode works? (This would confirm that your Wi-Fi dongle is fine)
Are you able to access organelle.local? (see instructions in the manual)
Just to confirm, you are using an original Organelle right? (Not an Organelle M) (just confirmed that from another post :slight_smile: )

Yes, I am using the original Organelle, I canā€™t access organelle.local and nothing happens when I select start AP Mode.

Ah, are you using the original Wi-Fi dongle or another one?

The original.

I would investigate the Wi-Fi adapter then, try it on another computer to make sure that it works. Itā€™s surprising that the Organelle doesnā€™t says anything when youā€™re trying to connect to AP mode. (though mine is an M, so it might be slightly differentā€¦)
Are you using the lastest OS? (4.0)

When you say adapter, do you mean the dongle or router? Also, the files stored on the wifi adapter open, itā€™s just that the internet connection is having issues.

Also, I donā€™t know how to check which software am I using and I should let you know that changing the wifi file on my computer did help me a little bit because after doing that I found a network called music on the Organelle whereas before nothing showed up.

When you say adapter, do you mean the dongle or router?

I meant the Wi-Fi dongle, which I believe the proper name is adapter.
I doesnā€™t have any storage (it just gives you Wi-Fi connectivity), so Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œthe files stored on the wifi adapter openā€?

Also, I donā€™t know how to check which software am I using

You can check that in the main settings menu > info (scroll all the way down to see your software revision)

I found a network called music on the Organelle whereas before nothing showed up

Good sign indeed! That would be the Organelleā€™s own network, when in AP mode. Could you try again to select Start AP, and check on your computer if you can see the Organelleā€™s own network, called music?

The device I was thinking was the dongle has storage for the built-in patches when I plug it into my computer, it is white on all sides, except for one black side on the bottom and it contains the wifi file. I bought my Organelle used so it may not have everything. Do I need to purchase a wifi dongle? Lastly, when I select start AP it changes for less than a second to stop AP before reverting back to start AP.

Ok! That might be your issue here. I believe that that small white USB stick is only a flash drive (to hold you patches, the midi config file etc.), so you need a USB Wi-Fi adapter for the Organelle to be able to connect to Wi-Fi.
There is one on Critter&Guitariā€™s shop that is known to work.

is this a different process for the Organelle M? Iā€™m also having issues connecting, but I see the ā€œOrganelleā€ Wi-Fi network, but then it tells me that it requires a password (I donā€™t know what the password is or how to change/access that).

The process is the same. The default password for the network is music (all lowercase, super easy). When youā€™re connected, start up the web server and connect to the network on a nearby computer. Put in the organelle IP address in a web browser which can be found in Info on the organelle and from there you can transfer patches or add your home WiFi settings. I also recommend you change the default AP network password from the web server

1 Like

Thank you so much for this - I also found it in the manual and saw that the default password for the network is ā€œcoolmusicā€ for the Organelle M

Hello,

Running into an issue connecting to WiFi with my (used) Organelle M. I can connect to the device via AP Mode, and can transfer/manage patches just fine. But when I try to connect the Organelle to my homeā€™s guest WiFi network (2.4 gHz), it just says ā€œProblem Connecting.ā€ I checked the WiFi password, I spelled it right.

Any idea what might be the issue? The error message isnā€™t providing enough help, and the manual doesnā€™t talk about connection problems.

With a used instrument, we recommend flashing a fresh OS so your Organelle is back to the original settings. Instructions for this are in Chapter 7 of the manual.

Can you confirm there isnā€™t a ā€˜spaceā€™ character at the beginning or end of your password and network name?

Iā€™m pretty sure there wasnā€™t a space before or after.

But yeah that makes sense. Iā€™ll work on backing up the patches on there, and then Iā€™ll do an OS flash. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes.

Newbie here so please be gentle!
I believe I connected my Organelle M via wifi when I first bought it (new).
I am running OS 4.1 and have the wifi dongle purchased with the unit.
Hereā€™s what I do and what happens:

1. power on the device
  2. start AP mode in wifi
  3. start the web server
  4. connect my MacBook to the Organelle wifi
  5. in the browser on the MacBook go to http://organelle.local
    all good do far
  6. try to connect to the -music network on the Organelle and get ā€œConnectingā€¦ā€
    After about 30 seconds or so I get ā€œProblem connecting.ā€

I have tried by creating a new wifi network called organelleM but the same thing happens.
I see a reference earlier in this topic which is to do with a password (the default for which in ā€œmusicā€ should be ā€œcoolmusicā€ for the Organelle M and thatā€™s what I have setup.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ok I solved it myself. The ā€œmusicā€ network must have been one I created when I got the organelle a while back and even though I canā€™t connect to it, I discovered that the patch management can just as easily be undertaken with the web interface (so Iā€™m not sure of the additional benefit of having a ā€˜networkā€™ yet). The manual is a little unclear on that.
I got orac installed and now Iā€™m all set for some experimentation.

1 Like

I switched routers from Orbi to Asus recently and have a new wifi network. Same Organelle, but new Mesh router with a new network name. Trying to configure but so far I canā€™t connect to the new network. I just get ā€œproblem connectingā€

I can start the OrganelleM AP and connect to the organellem.local, and can setup the networks, but then I canā€™t connect to either the main or guest network. I triple checked the pws and names and theyā€™re correct.

I moved the Organelle much closer to each of the 2 mesh stations. I even tried my OLD organelle - AP works and I can add the new network, but it wonā€™t connect either.

Perhaps the Asus is blocking the organelle, but I canā€™t figure out why.

I had a similar problem with a Norns but ended up trying a wifi dongle instead of the boardā€™s wifi, and it now connects. But that dongle doesnā€™t seem to work with the organelle.

FWIW, I have a Blokas PiSound running Rasperry Pi 4 with no dongle, just using the wifi on the board and it connects fine. And all of these devices are in the same general area (other than when I tried moving the organelleM closer to the asus).

Any ideas?