~organelle.boot;
SynthDef(“sine”, { Out.ar(0, SinOsc.ar(440, 0, 0.2)) }).send(~organelle);
~organelle.sendMsg(“s_new”, “sine”, n = ~organelle.nextNodeID, 0, 1);
~organelle.sendMsg("/n_free", n);
Server.default = ~organelle;
a = Synth(\sine );
a.free;
[/quote]

do i run this stuff in my supercollider on the mac or does it go in the ssh window too?

cause i get
-> organelle.local
WARNING: Server organelle.local not running, could not send SynthDef.
-> a SynthDef

maybe i need to restart SC locally, sorry for all the questions i just need to get it working once then i’ll be fine

ok, you don’t need all that stuff :slight_smile:

the easiest way to do this is:
a) start the Empty.sc on the Organelle
… this will give you a booted server, that is all initialised with mother.scd, so you have knobs/display access.

b) on mac start SC, and connect to remote server, and make it your default server (optional, but easier for beginners ;))

s = Server.remote("aServer", NetAddr("organelle", 57110),nil, 1);
Server.default=s;

now you can start patching…

SynthDef(\testSynth,
    {
        arg freq=440,gate=1,cutoff=440;
        var sig,env,amp=0.3;
        sig = Saw.ar(freq);
        env = EnvGen.ar(Env.adsr(),gate,doneAction:2);
        sig = sig * env * amp;
        sig = LPF.ar(sig,cutoff.clip(10,24000));
        Out.ar(0,sig!2);
    }
).add;

a = Synth(\testSynth);
a.free;

of course SC has a very capable client/server architecture, so lots more options are possible, e.g. you dont have to make it the default server, you can register and play things explicitly, useful if you are using multiple servers from one client.

anyway these things are probably best discussed in an SC forum… as frankly im a SC newbie (albeit a technically inclined one ;))

EDIT:
if your creating patches for the Organelle using a remote client, you will have to contend with all the ‘normal’ SC lang vs server differences i.e. which features are SC are client and which are server.
this is too big to go into here, but bare in mind things like osc and midi are client not server,
this is why i use OSC proxy to do organelle patch development on a mac.

So could I go to the SC category on patchstorage and load any of those and play them on the Organelle after downloading this? While I’m at it. I was wondering the same thing about pdextended on patchstorage as well.

a bit like PD, whilst SC on the Organelle will run any SC patch (assuming ugens are available/installed), really your going to want to adapt it to use the display and pots.
if you look you will also see an example SC patch i published which shows how to do this.

ive not recently spent much time on SC, as busy on so many projects, so not taken this as far as id like… but as far as i know all works ok.

(hey perhaps one day, i could do an Orac for SC :wink: )

now you haz my interest

a little bump on this… as Ive been digging SC for the last few days …
and wondering where to go with this on the Organelle :slight_smile:

some background…
recently , I was messing with getting Monome Norns running on the rPI, which uses Lua + Supercollider.
Ive no intention of moving this to Organelle, as its just to cpu intensive for a ‘vanilla organelle’ which has a single core - also its possible some of the required software wont install (due to the old version of arch linux used)

but it did re-ignite my interest in SC.

last few days Ive been playing with Bela Salt (a Linux based Eurorack module) , Ive been doing two things with this…

a) running Crone (the SC part of Norns) on Salt, then using a rPI running Norns to interface to it.

b) running Scsynth on Salt and a SCIDE on a laptop, and doing some ‘live coding’ (great fun with a modular).
(of course, I could have used a rPI+hdmi display too, but a laptop is more convenient )

really these are kind of related, its the idea of using the client-server nature of SC to split the processing load over ‘machines’

so started to wonder how I might use Organelle is such a setup…

Im thinking, I could use it as a backend, similar to how im using Salt, this already works…
but seems some kind of ‘front-end’ makes more sense, or a backend perhaps with some UI control… given the Organelle has a UI.

I thought perhaps making it Norns ‘engine’ compatible (had the same thought with Salt), but Ive kind of thrown that into touch, as Norns engine have to be compiled, and that loses the dynamic/live coding side that is a real attraction to me of SC.

Im not that interested in using SC for running synths/fx, we can already do this in PD, Im interested in how it can do something thats not so viable in PD - hence live-coding.
Im also not that interested, in building up lots of layers like tidalcycles etc, as I quite like using the ‘raw’ SC, which the proxy space/ndef stuff , even if it is a bit more verbose.

although there has seems to have been little interest in SC on Organelle,
I thought Id give this thread a little bump to see:
partly because my experience is growing with SC, so Im likely to come back to do a bit more on this,
and partly to see, if anyone has interest in this area, and where their interests are.

anyway, just a bump, see if others imagination has been sparked…
and if they have got deeper into SC of late (with or without Organelle) and where they are going with it