DX7 for Organelle

I’ve just updated to OS4.0 and wanted to try out the DX7 emulation from super collider.
However it’s being sneaky and won’t work. After putting the zip file in patches and instaling it two files appear (dx7.afx and dx7.sfc) and I’ve put them in their own file (DX7.sc) however it says no presets available.

I’ve tried technobears simple poly on super collider but found that also does not work / produce a sound.

Is super collider working on OS4 or is there something I need to do to get it to work?

Alternativey I tried Shreeswiftys OX7 but sadly this also does not make a sound, yet all of the presets are present which is super sad as it looks mighty incredible.

Anyone got any thoughts?

hmm, i’ll have to give it a go… I’ll admit I just launched SC to see it was there, I didn’t test it,
perhaps its missing some configuration?
on my simply poly, is the display coming up on the oled? pots working?

also are you using an organelle-m or organelle-1?

can you also point me to the original dx7 emulator you tried.

Hey hey,
I’m using the Organelle-M
On the simply poly the only things visible on my OLED is the Input / Output and battery. The pots don’t do anything sadly. Tried full turns and using the aux just in case.

As for the DX7 emulator it was on patchstorage

I wish I could be more useful with understanding code to try help in some way.

ok, Ive tested here…

organelle-1 is working fine… (you knew i was going to stay that didnt you ;))

the organelle-m install has a few issues
its got supercollider installed in a different place to the organelle-1, and its missing jack.
these can be fixed, by entering the following on the command line (of organelle)

sudo ~/scripts/remount-rw.sh;sudo ln -s /usr/bin/sclang /usr/local/bin/;sudo ~/scripts/remount-ro.sh 
sudo ~/scripts/remount-rw.sh; sudo apt-get install jackd; sudo ~/scripts/remount-ro.sh

this gets supercollider working, and fired up from menu correctly…

but then Im seeing the following error:

music@organellem:/tmp/patch $ compiling class library...
QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display 

I need to see if i can find a way around this, I thought -D would prevent this - but it doesn’t,
and Ive a nasty feeling when I compiled Supercollider for organelle-1 I used some extra compiler flags to prevent it requiring an X display… so i need to go review that too :frowning:

1 Like

Hahah, it had to be. It’s all good though, I’m super excited that you found out what was causing the issue so quickly :slight_smile:

No need to rush it, you do way more than enough for everyone here. So whenever you get the chance to review it and send feedback is more than enough for me. Thanks again for the speed coding.

k, yeah… the issue is we need Supercollider compiled without QT support, otherwise it requires a display

there is a workaround by install xvfb (a virtual ‘screen’), and then running this in the background
e.g.

sudo apt-get install xvfb
export DISPLAY=:0
Xvfb :0 -ac -screen 0 1280x1024x16 &

the last 2 lines need to be run before any SC patch

but really this is not the preferred route, really we should build supercollider with QT off.

A Faust coded version I’ve ported onto Organelle.

2 Likes

Updated a bit.

1 Like

thanks for this patch, it’is awesome!! just to mention, i’`m experiencing a little disadvantage (if not a bug) with the new update that has a release instead of reverb, which is that some presets while the release on (like koto for example), the notes take a time to turn completely down and until that, if you keep playing the keys, there’s no sound coming out of it.
thanks again, it sounds incredible!

Aux button flips between attack / release and chorus / reverb for knobs 3 and 4. A long release can create polyphony issue as only 6 notes. Try with release all the way down and it will be same as 1st version?

1 Like

Does this have any dependencies or the like? It does not work an my Organelle M, OS 4.0. The patch loads but encoders do not change most values.

Try downloading again. Half the files in the zip folder had the right names but zero bytes somehow. That’s a new one on me…

1 Like

Now everything works perfectly. Thank you very much for sharing this fun patch!

1 Like

Yeah, then I go and update it again which is bound to have broken something!

Now has 8 note polyphony, effects I like more, and should be more stable as using multi processor cores (so only works on Organelle M). Learned a new trick :slight_smile: Fingers crossed it works ok for others.

hi! the last multicore version uploaded on patchstorage is not working. also it doesn’t show the presets neither the “transpose” parameter, and the aux button doesn’t work. i’ve tried to install it twice, each time with the zip file downloaded again from patchstorage.

What Organelle do you have (needs a quad core)? Could well be an error that I can’t replicate though.

I’m on an Organelle M with the las os update 4.2. Till the previous version every update worked without any problem. I will make a video and upload it here, it may be helpful i think

i’ve installed the previous version and it works perfect. i will check with vnc to see if the console of pd shows any error.

Well, something strange just happened. When I open the patch while on VNC mode, it opens and works just fine, but if I try it again with VNC off, it doesn’t work as it is showed on the video before.
I don’t have a clue of what the problem might be, but also I noticed that after opening the patch, I had problems to turn the VNC off, it gets stuck on the process of turning off and I had to turn the organelle switch off. It happened twice, and then I made the test of VNC but this time opening another patch instead of FaustDx7, and I could turn VNC off normally… hope all this can help.
Also, is anyone else experiencing the same problem? maybe if another user of Organelle M with 4.2 test it, it could help to find out what’s happening.

With my Organelle 1 and under os 4.1, it’s the same. The previous version was working fine though.