TableDrummer

Hi everyone!

Here’s a better Audio-to-MIDI drum trigger for 3 drum sources.
It’s the successor of my previous patch DrumFinger.

At every start the patch checks if a template file exists in the templates subfolder – if this is the case, it starts directly in performance mode. Otherwise the patch starts directly in learning mode. To activate this, “Aux” must be pressed.

Then each of the 3 audio sources/drum sounds must be played 10 times. Attention: After 10 beats, the Learn Mode automatically jumps to the next source. This mode is very sensitive and gives the best results when the sounds are clearly different, e.g. fingernail, “meaty” part of the finger, thimble, etc. In the video at source #3, for example, there’s a small problem with the recognition, as the counter gets stuck at 9/10*.
Once you’re done press C# to save the template and switches to the performance mode.

• If in doubt, you can always restart the learn mode with Aux and use C# to overwrite the template.

However, the patch is not exclusively limited to fingers and you are free to use any source that comes to mind.

Experiment with the volume and threshold settings, as each microphone will react slightly differently. I personally use an Electro Faustus Drum Thing for this, but any other microphone will work as well – just watch out for the mic bleed.

You have the option to send each individual drum sound to its own separate MIDI channel (1-16). Of course, you can also set a separate MIDI output note for each individual sound.

A known issue: please make sure you don’t use any spaces at all in your patch pathname on the Organelle, otherwise the patch will run into an error.

Controls:

Aux: Switch between Learn and Perform Mode
C#: Save Template (works in Learn Mode only)

Knob1: Input Gain (0-100)
Knob2: Low Threshold (12-100)

Hold F# + Knob3: MIDI Output Channel Drum1
Hold G# + Knob3: MIDI Output Channel Drum2
Hold A# + Knob3: MIDI Output Channel Drum3

Hold F# + Knob4: MIDI Note Out Drum1
Hold G# + Knob4: MIDI Note Out Drum2
Hold A# + Knob4: MIDI Note Out Drum3

The video demo was made under the most professional standards: the smartphone, which acted as a camera, was attached to a microphone arm using rubber bands. The microphone arm is of course attached to the same table on which the Organelle and the Drum Thing are located. I don’t think I need to mention more than that. Professional is my middle name:

2 Likes