Traveling with the organelle (power)

Hi guys,

I’ll be traveling to Japan next week and I would like to take my Organelle with me, since I’ll be there for a month and not making music for that amount of time is not an option.

Now I’m kind of worried about power, can I just slam an adapter on my power supply and that’s that? Or do I need some kind of converter since wall outlets in Japan output 100v at 50/60hz.

I’d hate to wreck my Organelle or take it with me and have it not work at all, so any advice is appreciated!

Why not get a USB 5v to 9v 1a 2.1mm adapter cable and use a mobile battery charger for power. It lasts ages - you’re probably taking a charger for your phone anyway, and you can keep it as a tool for future mobile music making (plus the cable will work from the wall too with any travel adapters with USB outputs.

I got one of these XTPower-MP-10000
I just tried it with the organelle (been using it for a battery powered amp) seems to work perfect. Has both USB 5v outs (useful for phone charging) and a barrel out (for the organelle) with selectable 9/12V (be VERY CAREFUL you have it set to 9V :wink: )
note: I’m not sure what the wall outlets are in Japan, so you may need an adapter to charge the battery, but once it’s charged, the battery itself comes with a ton of adapters. The main barrel cable though is the correct 2.1mm (and the barrel outputs center positive - so no need for polarity inverting adapter).

Id generally go with @Wannop advice and use a usb battery.
(though you’ll still have to take care of charging it)

that said, it might just be cheaper/easier to buy a PSU while your out there, just need to be 9v/1A +ve centre pin, its a really common config, so you should be able to get very cheaply out there.
(in europe they are something like 10 euros)

1 Like

i am in Japan since 6 weeks, using my Organelle with no problems whatsoever. i use the power supply that came with it, i just put the EU - to - US- Adapter on the plug and thats it. really no problem. Just look at your power supply, it should have a small sticker about with what voltage it i compatible. if it says “110-220 V 50/60 Hz” then everything is fine…

Awesome! Thanks for the replies! @novotnik, great to hear from someone that’s in the same boat as me, sounds like I don’t need to worry that much. Thanks a lot everyone, now I can take my Organelle with me worry free!

Is it safe to power the organelle with the adapter as it is rated at 1A max at 9V ? With old batteries, it might a below 1A which could damage the organelle, no ?
Thanks

Haven been in Japan several times playing gigs, and never had any power issues over there.

It has been a while since last time, but if I remember correctly you can use EU to US adapter in Japan too.

Dunno mate, mine is a 2A/1A 20,000kwh battery pack, i use it with a 1A 5v to 9v adapter and my organelle (2yrs old) is healthy as far as i can tell. You could get an ammeter to check on your battery pack if you’re worried.

finally (2.5 year wait!) myvolts (myvolts.co.uk) have delivered the Ripcord…

and really is pretty nice … rated to 1a & 9v (you can get various other voltages too)
plenty of power for Organelle - high quality cable, an nice cable tie…

looking good so far, I’ll test it for a few weeks and if it remains good, I’ll probably get another one or two for +9v :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How is the ripcord working out for you? I am about to buy an Organelle and this would be awesome if I could use my phone power bank.