Two modes with screen zoom and rotation

Hi

I always loved the Mode T - Ball of Mirrors, so I anlyzed it and created two new modes, based on its functionality.

https://patchstorage.com/fa_zoom_rings/
and
https://patchstorage.com/fa_zoom_pie_plates/

The trick is quite simple: the actual screen is copied as an image in a variable. In the next iteration of the mode, this image is blitted again to the screen, but before blitt’ing it is resized. I added now also a rotation.

The mode “fa_zoom_rings” disables the auto-clear function automatically.
Knob1 is a zoom factor, which has 1 : 1 at the 12 o’clock postion
Knob2 is the rotation of the window copy
Knob3 is the size of the printed circles / rings
The colour-setting is disabled (as in Ball of Mirrors)

The mode fa_zoom_pie_plates is based on the well known T - Pie Plates. I added four copies of the screen in the center
Knob1 is the pie size
Knob2 is the size of the screen copies
Knob3 is the rotation of the screen copies
Knob4 is the colour.

Have fun:

PS: the modes are developed on a Windows based installation, with smaller screen size. I could not yet test them on my real ETC, because the ETC is in my live setup in the storage.
I tried to make them independet of a fixed screen size. I hope it works.

1 Like

Just a variation:

I found that it is very nice, if the zoom factor for the x and y axis are available on separate knobs. So you can zoom in for width and zoom out for height. Her as example for the mode “fa_zoom_rings”:

[...]
dwidth = int(etc.knob1 * (width * 2))+ 1
dheight = int(etc.knob2 * (height *2)) + 1
[...]
pygame.draw.circle(screen,(r,g,b),[x,y],int(etc.knob4*200)+10,int(etc.knob4*50)+2)
[...]
rotation = int(etc.knob3 * 90)

Florian

1 Like

These look very cool, I can’t wait to try them. Thank you!

@fanwander the modes are great! Thanks for sharing!

Crazy stuff with those two.
Thanks you !!!

I’ve used these in performance the past two weekends. They are [fire emoji]. I really like them as a transition when music changes dramatically.

Thanks! If you have any footage (vimeo/youtube) let us know.

Here’s video & audio of last night’s show:

The musician is Dysonant:

1 Like

Wow! It is not my style of music or sound, but the projection suits really great to the sound.

It seems that there are some other elements (videos or pics), which are in the projection. Is this done as double projection or do you handle the ETCs output in a video mixer?

Yes, Dysonant’s music is not everyone’s cup of tea. :smiley: Thanks for the kind words.

The video is strictly out of the ETC. There was some ambient light in the venue that is visible in the video, and someone wandered in front of the camera at some point. The pictures of the man in the raft and the Apollo space capsule are done with the S – Sound Jaws-Image-Trails mode, with sets of similar images. The Apollo series is a color change between the images, the raft has a color and position change. I’ve had good luck with simple animations by placing consecutive frames of an animated gif in the image folder of that mode.

I’d love to play more with mixing video and other sources with the ETC. Roland just came out with a 2-channel HDMI mixer that’s on my wish list. But I want to get a good HDMI & sound capture device first.

1 Like

The is the video mixer I have my eye on:

1 Like