Buzz Sound When Arming Track for Recording

Hi everyone,

I recently got the 5 Moons, and after a few days of use, I have to say it’s already revolutionizing the way I work with my new hardware setup. This little box is incredible.

However, I’ve noticed a small but annoying issue:

When I press the “record” button on a track to start recording, there’s occasionally a loud “buzz” sound that appears for a very short moment (right when the recording is armed and the LED turns red). The noise is similar to the sound you hear when plugging in an audio jack into a live audio source.
I’ve noticed that this mostly happens when a track already contains audio, and I want to record a new take “on top” of it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it my unit ?

I use the stereo firmware.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi, this is not typical. If you reload the original, monophonic firmware, do you still hear the buzz?

I have experienced this a handful of times, also with stereo update. It hasn’t been predictable or frequent at all, seems like it happens just once during a session but not every time I use it.

Thank you both for your responses. :slight_smile:

I reloaded the original monophonic firmware this morning. Very very occasionnally, I did get some small “clicks” when starting a recording, but they are negligible. However, I did hear a “buzz” once! It seems to be more rare that the stereo firmware.

As for the stereo firmware, if I had to estimate, the “buzz” issue happens about 10% of the time when I press the Rec button.

I made a short (private) video to show you what it sounds like. It was last night, you’ll hear the “buzz” twice : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PYGEtojEKws

It’s difficult to reproduce since it’s very random, as sgotb said.

give it a go with neutrik type cable, ideally MOGAMI brand (they are expensive), but it will isolate as much to minimum, I dont own a 5 moons device (I will soon, in a few days), but in the past I had a similar problem with a dj mixer, and a neutrik type cable sorted the problem, hope it helps

Thanks for the suggestion Isaac. :slight_smile: I’ll try as soon as I can.
In any case, I’ve tried another 5 Moons unit, and the same issue occurs.
So, the problem is most likely with my connections.
It’s not a major problem though.

Cheers!

Neutrik Audio cables will sort it out, it just comes at a cost…the cables