CLOSED - Try Out a New Sequencer w/ MIDI Sync, Transport Control, Knob Recording!

Happy New Year! Any news about the arpegio synth shifting problem?

Hi @jani and Everyone!

We just released some big changes in these beta patches!

Please see the additional information on my first post to this topic (now updated).
Download the updates: https://patchstorage.com/beta-release-seq3-patch-suite/

Let us know how it goes!

5 Likes

Hey Chris, c&g, thanks a lot for the updates, now the arp synth works really well!
you have to be pretty exact when doing some sort of sixteenth or eights single notes sequences with rests and stuff. but it works!!! the arpeggio synth is very inspiring for me as a generator of cool syncopated bass lines or melodies on the fly… the new aux button function is so cool and the updates of your other 2019 are really sounding very musically!
There is one thing at the moment i’m thinking of… would it be possible to have an option in the note quantization menu for leaving the notes unquantized? so that the sequence is triggering the arpeggio 1:1 as like it was while recording… when it comes to playback sometimes single notes are shifted in the sequence because of that grid quantization maybe? so when the sequence plays, it would then trigger the notes of the arp just as they were played like while recording and the there is no confusion on playback maybe, or am i thinking wrong? the grid quantize option would be also nice for the other 2019 seq patchces… would it be possible to implement that menu like in the arp, maybe with more different options for meters? many questions… but it’s so cool as it is right now!!

very cool! seems to be working much better now.
I also really like the extended options on aux button

thanks so much for this it’s gonna be great fun!

this makes syncing to other gear so much easier and expands possibilities amongst a bigger setup :slight_smile:

however, I think it’s more difficult to use this sequencer to create simple useable loops standalone - without other gear. I usually use my organelle with my laptop or with an octatrack - but there are a lot of users out there who I think would usually use their organelle standalone.
The visual aid of the blinking aux led is good, but without hearing the ticks of the internal metronome or being able to alter it from 120 - it is difficult to guarantee a sequence will play as the user intended

e.g. if the user gets an idea for a sequence to play along to a guitar part someone is playing during a jam and their friend is playing somewhere around 129bpm. The organelle sets the start and end record points according to a mismatching 120bpm tempo and accidentally gets the loop length slightly, irreparably off.

think this still needs a fix of some kind.

• could one of the aux+black key functions set an internal tap-tempo, with eat hit restarting the internal metronome as well as refining the calculation of bpm - this metronome could be overridden if a midi or link clock is detected.
  • aux+black key = audible metronome?
  • or maybe just an on/off of quantisation, off by default for the benefit of standalone users and new users?
1 Like

These updates are stellar!

One thing I notice is Analog Style resonance is different from original patch.
Love the laser sounds though, so may be cool to leave this one avail as Analog EG and make a version where resonance sounds like it does on original?

Also what great choices for the built in samples - looooove it :smiley:

I imagine this is prob not possible with how this patch/sequencer works, but it’d be super cool down the road to have a similar sequencer that can also quantize the note inputs when recording (or better yet to have the option to quantize or not, both during and after recording!)

Also (guessing you guys are on this but just to say) would be cool to have latch function available at the same time as record.

edit: actually, the 2019 arpeggio synth is having some issues with sync when receiving transport (seems like maybe the metronome isn’t resetting?) - the earlier version works perfectly though.

Hi @Wannop, @jani, and @TheDeadFarmer - thanks for trying out the patches and for your comments!

Here’s a demo video of the beta patches in action:

Download here: https://patchstorage.com/beta-release-seq3-patch-suite/ and let us know what you think!

6 Likes

Hello again! is there a simple way to turn the grid quantize (8/16) in the arpeggio synth off so that just the start of the loop is synced? what do i have to edit and where? thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Finally got a chance to try these out, I like the new aux functionality a lot! I thought it would be harder to find the right key, but it very intuitive with the top row layout.

I agree with Wannop that it would be nice to have an option to either leave the loop unquantized, or set the tempo when there is no incoming midi clock. Having an aux key for tap tempo seems like a good way to me.

Hi everyone, thanks again for all of your input.

Here’s another step forward in the development of this sequencer. We’re excited for you to try it out! We only added it to one beta patch because it changed a bunch…

Download Poly-Odub-SeqPre (stands for Polyphonic Synth + Overdubbing Sequencer w/ Presets)

Change:
If you send the patch MIDI clock from external device, the sequencer will quantize the playback length to nearest quarter note of that incoming tempo. If you are not sending clock, the sequence is played back as you recorded it.

Addition #1:
You can save/recall 14 independent sequences! They are stored on the keyboard’s white keys. When you first load the patch, the sequencer will be playing from and recording to the low C key - AKA Slot #1.

To change the designated preset key/slot:

1. Hold Aux and select a white key. A number (1-14) will then be displayed on screen to indicate this change and you can release Aux and key. If you hold Aux again, you will see that the function keys reflect that change. For example, if you set the record/playback destination to #7 (low B key) the sequencer controls along the left column will have ‘7’ as the prefix. If you change the sequence destination/slot, the prefix will change.
  2. Press Aux + Function Key 2 (low D# key) to Record a new sequence to your selected slot. The sequences are autosaved as soon as you end recording by pressing Aux.

Addition #2:
The sequencer now supports overdubbing! (@wannop!) It works like this:

1. Select your record destination from one of the 14 white keys (explained in Addition #1 above)
  2. Optional: Use Aux + Function Key 2 (low D# key) to Record a new sequence. Recording starts as soon as you play a note, send a note from external MIDI device, or turn a knob. Press Aux to end recording.
  3. When you’re ready to record an overdub on top of an existing recording, press Aux and low G# key (Function Key 4) to overdub. The sequence starts playing from the beginning and any new activity is recorded. Press Aux to end overdub. You may shorten the original by pressing Aux before the sequence loops. You may make the overdubbing longer than the original if you let it loop before pressing Aux.
    You may overdub notes, knob adjustments, or both.
    Overdubs are saved when you end recording. You may overdub as many times as you like. If there is MIDI clock from external source present, the length of playback of overdubbed recording will be quantized to nearest quarter note. If no clock, playback length will be as you recorded it.

Here’s a video demonstrating the overdub process:

Note: this video was made before the storage of 14 sequences was implemented so the Aux Function menu will look different than on the patch you download.
8 Likes

:open_mouth: woah
This is so amazing! Opens up a huge realm of possibility, fun and musicality! How did you do the overdubbing?
I love the white keys as pattern players, you can improvise a loop live - lets say its for a chorus - embellishing it as you go - break to a new improv for a verse section, and return back to the original. Such a potentially powerful addition in terms of tension and release!

Could see this working really well in orac! Actually in any patch with a sequencer…

Absolutely. I’m imagining running another sequencer into it and using it to record and accumulate various styles of sequence feeding into one instrument - could make for really interesting voice stealing . The Knob Motion sequencing would need to be cc assignable to any specific parameter though, also the aux menu would be unavailable as orac is I think, unless it sent a global message outside of the orac system at patch level I guess. I’ve been playing with this sequencer for ages now. Can’t wait until it’s in more patches. The scope of how interesting a sequence can be is so much greater now!

Personally I feel it’s at least near the end of beta stage as is, but would be good to hear if anyone has any issues. How does the sequencer affect unquantised sequences once a midi or link clock is detected?

Hi,
this is truly a huge improvement. Maybe i’m pushing too hard, but would it be possible to have an undo function (aka erase the last overdubbing) ? And could it be possible to have a “visual” metronome : I think the led is probably not the best for this, but maybe the tempo indicator could flash as a tap tempo ?

I guess maybe long hold aux + func 3 could double as removing the previous overdub? That would be fairly intuitive, but as it stands the overdubs function also starts playback…
The LED blinking is good I think! If you’re using an external controller I think it’d be easier to see without having to crane over to look at the screen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any hope for the ability to chain sequenced patterns now that they can be saved?

There is a visual metronome - the LED flashes to the quarter note if you have MIDI clock or Link coming in. If no Clock/Link, the sequence doesn’t know anything about tempo: it only knows how long you recorded for, so a metronome wouldn’t be helpful.

If you record a sequence without a Clock/Link present and then connect a Clock/Link and play the sequence, the sequence length will be quantized to nearest quarter note.
If you record a sequence with a Clock/Link present and then disconnect the Clock/Link and play the sequence, the sequence length will be as you recorded it.
Another way to say this is: the quantization happens during playback, not record.

@Wannop is right - how to make the knob automation go where you want it to in Orac? It might be better if the modules themselves had their own knob automation sequencers built in.

I think we’ll leave it up to the user to play the sequences as they see fit for now. Or controlling sequences externally.

Gave this a spin last night. Pretty impressive! A looper style sequencer with knob automation and overdubbing, eh?!

The one (maybe?) bug I noticed is that when holding AUX and pressing the fourth black key to toggle overdub, the overdub parameter doesn’t switch to ‘ON’ (visual feedback anyway, functionally it seems to work). Instead the second line (record) toggles on/off.

2 Likes

cheers! that’s a fantastic progress with overdubbing etc… would that be possible with the arpeggio synth too? what’s the last state of the arp synth would it be hard to change the quantization to only quantize the first note (start)? it maybe would solve the problem with shifting notes (still present but much better than before where it was shifting the whole sequence)…