ETC memory 100%+

I find myself constantly topping out the device memory at 100% or more. (I think the most I’ve seen is 104%). It’s hard to edit down the modes, I like a lot of options when performing.

My questions:

1. Is it a problem to have the device memory near, at, or over 100%?

2. Can one put a larger SD card in the ETC? Noting the manual says:
    “This slot comes preloaded with a card that serves as the internal microcomputer’s root disk. We do not recommend ejecting or otherwise manipulating this card as nothing good will come of it.”
    Obviously, that’s pretty clear. However, updates to the SD were recommended for other problems, in this forum.

Thanks for any help and info anyone can offer.

Where do you get this “device memory” output? Or do you mean the “memory used” line in the OSD?

I mean the memory used line when I toggle on the info button on the ETC. (Sorry, I’m not sure what the OSD is.)

It won’t cause any lasting harm to run the device over 100% memory, you might see performance start to lag, dropped frames, sluggish response, that kind of thing.

100% actually includes about 10% headroom, so 100% is around 90% actual… then it was a little bug not to cap the displayed value at 100% which is why you see it going over 100%

but this memory is RAM memory which is hardwired. so changing SD card size won’t have any effect.

are you using many image files? I assume that is what eats up the memory. You could try reducing size of files, only use big bitmaps if they are necessary. and also if modes use the same image files, you could update the modes to read them from a central location, so modes are loading the same file over and over.

I think we had this topic a year ago and someone from C&G (you?) explained that each mode loades its images again - even if they were loaded by another mode already.

Thanks oweno - this is helpful info. I’m glad to know I’m not damaging the device by running it near 100%