Experimental Percussionist utilizing the Organelle

Greetings! I’ve been an Organelle user for a little over a year now and it has become a critical component of my solo project Forebeat! Mostly, I use it for playing samples (itakeup, overloop) and effects on my acoustic instruments (constant gardener). Every show I play is improvised and I’ve recently added a Ditto X2 to allow myself more flexibility (i.e. longer sets).
Anyways, last month I released my debut EP, DUALITY, on bandcamp, Spotify, and Apple Music. I thought this community would be interested in checking this out and please let me know what you think! Thanks!

5 Likes

I dig this.

1 Like

This is quality stuff, me gusta! Paal-Nilssen Love meets Madlib.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I’ve never heard of Paal Nilssen-Love before but I’m a fan now after a catching few Youtube vids. I can hear the similarities for sure!

The organelle surely seems to attract musicians from the most different musical backgrounds and genres. I don’t think that a ‘synthesizer’ forum is the first place that would come in mind to discover the release of a free jazz drummer. :smile: The little blue box don’t stop to surprise me.

1 Like

Very nice. How do you set up the organelle and the Ditto X2 Looper with mics with the acoustic drums without getting nasty feedbacks when playing live?

1 Like

Thanks! I have a clock coil box and a zither and they each have a pickup mounted inside them. I run everything as follows: Instruments -> mixer -> organelle -> Ditto X2 -> PA/Amp.

Luckily, my drums get picked up really well from the other two pickups I never have to worry about micing them. I haven’t had any issues with feedback other than having to make small adjustments depending on the room I’m in.

Here’s some photos from a recent show to help give you a better idea.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the nice pics. But I don’t know what’s a “clock coil box and a zither”? Where do you put your pics and what kinds of mics are they (condenser? hypercardioid?)? Do you do loops from the organelle (via overloop?) or from the acoustic drum kit (via mics) or both with the ditto X2? Oh, why not a Ditto Mic Looper with XLR and Phantom power instead of the Ditto X2? Why not loop everything in the Organelle only? Sorry for all the questions but I’ve been trying to make this work for quite a while now and I’m struggling a bit with tech and mics specs and placement in a live setup. ; /

1 Like

IMG_4513

Sorry for the late reply! I’ve been swamped this past week and wanted to take the time to give a well thought out explanation.

I circled the instruments in question (in an unfortunately low res photo) so hopefully that helps. The left circled in green is the “clock coil box” which is just a cigar box with a clock coil (I later added a door stop) mounted on top and the right circled in blue is the “zither”, a dulcimer-like string instrument (correct me if I’m wrong!). They both have piezo style pickups installed and are extremely sensitive and thus catch a lot of my drum set when placed above my bass drum. This is how I have been able to use the organelle effects patches on my entire set up with minimal feedback.

As far as looping goes, I’ve tried multiple methods and found that running everything through the Ditto X2 allows me the most freedom during live performances. Especially to eliminate dead air when I need to switch patches during or in between pieces. There’s probably a more efficient way to do this but I’m pretty new to this and have been learning as I go.

I hope this cleared some things up for you and I’m happy to answer any other questions you or anyone has about what I do!

2 Likes