EYESY openFrameworks (beta) mode development

Here’s a thread for dev conversation on making Modes for the openFrameworks / openGL / Lua version of EYESY.

Perhaps this can be a good place to share tips / tricks / techniques / questions for making ofLua Modes along with sharing scripts themselves (until patchstorage gets an EYESY category - see here to vote for adding the EYESY category there).

Here’s an example I made yesterday which uses Stereo inputs - audio changing circle size, z position, and color, knobs changing rotation.

(had to remove audio on this since it was something off my iPod and not cleared for YT)

7 Likes

Very cool! I’m pretty clueless about Open Frameworks and Lua so I’m just starting by tweaking other patches. Care to post yours?

I started by modifying the ofLua examples.

I’ll try to post some examples soon

EDIT: here’s a couple Modes if someone wants to test them (second one is whats in the video above)

RectGridSOUND.zip (2.2 KB)

2circles.zip (1.8 KB)

1 Like

Awesome I’m looking for new modes… Thanks,

1 Like

I’ve started to get some ofLua examples posted on Patchstorage.

4 Likes

I’m assuming these patches you’ve listed on patchstorage require another step beyond simply uploading and unzipping the files on a stock Eyesy…

do I need to change something to run these Lua files?

I uploaded and unzipped, saved, and rebooted.

there are no new patches on the Eyesy.

They are for the oFLua/openframeworks version of EYESY - so you need to have that beta stuff installed. See here

Then these modes would be dropped in /sdcard/Modes/oFLua. Then you would need to Stop Video from the web editor, and Start oFLua

1 Like

thanks for the quick reply!

is it possible to have both “regular” Eyesy and oFLua versions on the device and simply switch in the OSD menu?

They are 2 different “engines” so you can’t run them at the same time. But they can co-exist and you can easily switch between them from the web editor (without a device reboot).

I don’t believe there is a way to switch between engines from the device controls - only from the web editor (or via SSH).

1 Like

that’d be cool if that was possible while on a gig (without a computer)!

thanks for the tips!

You could run the web editor on your phone or a tablet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooo, I forgot about that in this moment

It’d be super handy if we could create a backup of the SD card from the editor.

…unless we already can and I’m just daft…

I just read that installing oF/Lua will wipe the card.

Are there any Web resources that one might refer to in order to begin learning LUA/OFx/OpenGL in general or specifically as they relate to developing Modes for the EYESY?

There is some info here about this: EYESY disk image for openFrameworks / openGL / Lua (beta) Specifically:

Additionally we posted EYESY Example Modes for openFrameworks / openGL / Lua which should take some of the guesswork out of getting the bigger concepts/syntax from openFrameworks into Lua.

1 Like

I thought this thread might serve as a good place to collect references.

Ask questions here for sure - I’ve been poking at the OF stuff for a couple months on and off.

Unfortunately the ofLua versions of the OF functions are sometimes a little confusing if you’re looking at OF source code and trying to adapt it.

Resources

This is a list of all the oFLua function syntax which can be helpful if you’re not sure about how a particular function is done in oFLua.

OF documentation

Then there’s also the openFrameworks discussion forum, but that might be a much wider/deeper rabbit hole than you need.

OpenGL/WebGL resources:

shadertoy

OpenProcessing

2 Likes

Still don’t know how to make this sort of thing go on EYESY yet, but gonna try…

Another WebGL resource:

Curious to see how this goes! I’ve got some old shader code I want to turn into an eyesy mode, but I’m new to OFx/Lua so still struggling to figure out how to do that

1 Like