Eyesy trigger with Roland TM-2

Hey guys,

I’m trying to use a roland TM-2 module with the eyesy. I’m able to trigger it if I set the eyesy in “Trigger source: midi note” but if I try to use ‘if etc.midi_note_new:’ it doesn’t do anything.
It feels like the midi note is too short for the program to grab it or something like that.

I have checked the midi message with a midi viewer and it seems alright but the note lasts 0 seconds that’s why I think the eyesy doesn’t grab it.

Do you have any experience with that ? How can I resolve the issue?

Thank you

Hi,

Could you explain a little more of what you are hoping to do with the MIDI information from the TM-2?
Because the EYESY is triggering via “Trigger source: midi note” from the TM-2, the MIDI note info appears to be working. You should also see filled in squares representing their respective MIDI notes appear on the MIDI Note Grid on the On Screen Display.

The etc.midi_note_new boolean value is updated every draw loop so it is helpful to set another variable to ‘True’ and use that variable to control the mode behavior. In the C&G Trigger modes, we typically use a variable ‘trigger’ to do this as in the example below :

if etc.audio_trig or etc.midi_note_new :
    trigger = True

if trigger == True :
    --- CHANGE STUFF ON SCREEN ---

trigger = False

Hi, thank you for your reply.

The TM-2 module has two inputs. I use one for the snare drum and one for the kick. What I would like to do is to do different animations for each. So I’m trying to use the midi note that is sent by the module.

if etc.midi_notes[62]:
 --- DO SOMETHING ---
if etc.midi_notes[60]:
 --- DO SOMETHING ELSE ---

But that doesn’t seem to work. So what I’ve also tried is

if etc.audio_trig:
	    print 'goes here'
	if etc.midi_note_new:
	    print 'but not here'

It feels like it’s catching the trigger but it doesn’t update the midi note. I can see on the display the trigger box going on but nothing on the MIDI Note grid.

Thanks for the update. Just to be sure, you are sending MIDI notes from TM-2 and receiving on EYESY on the same MIDI channel?

… have you tried the above code with another MIDI controller sending the same MIDI notes?
Can you try with a flag in the draw loop?..

kick = false
if etc.midi_notes[62] :
    kick = true

if kick == true:
    --- DO SOMETHING ---

This example might be helpful (although not exactly what you are looking for): MIDI Note-On to show image? - #2 by oweno (full code is a couple of posts down)

Yes, both are on the same midi channel. I’ve tried with my Novation Circuit and it works but not with the TM-2. I’ve also tried with the flag as you have shown but without success.

I’ve checked the midi note with a midi viewer and they are exactly the same except for the duration between the midi note on and the midi note off.

I was thinking about trying to delay the midi note off command to test the error but I don’t know how.

Interesting…How long are the durations between Note On/Off for the Novation Circuit and TM-2?

Okay, I’ve just tested, here is the results :
For the TM-2, I’ve got 1 ms and for the Novation Circuit, I’ve got 22ms.

Thanks for the timing results.

It seems that the TM-2’s Note On & Note Off messages are being sent so quickly that the note is set to ‘on’ and then ‘off’ within the length of the same frame of video. This means that to the note array, nothing really happened.

I looked in the TM-2 manual but didn’t find anything about setting the MIDI note length. Maybe you found something though? With a program like Pure Data (which runs on the Organelle or a computer), you could write a little patch that would artificially lengthen the time between the MIDI Note On/Off messages. I’m sure there are other ways to do it too. Maybe running the TM-2 MIDI through the Novation Circuit and then to the EYESY might add enough of a delay?

The Trigger Source: MIDI Note method works because it is only listening for a Note On message. When it gets one, the trigger remains ‘true’ until the beginning of the next frame, at which point it is set to ‘false.’

Thank you very much for your help, that’s what I was suspecting. I plan to do a midi filter with an arduino board to include it in my live setup. It’s actually already going into my Boss Gt1000 core but it’s still not enough.

I will share the results when it’s done.