Multichannel sequencer / modular environment

Awesome, just bought it yesterday. I’ll try it out today :slight_smile:

1 Like

cool!

Thanks for your support,

keep me tuned about how it goes or if you have any question, I’m planning to do a better video demo but I guess the pdf should get you started at least

Greetings!

Servando

I had a hell of a time (as in i couldnt do it) trying to the Metronome to work. Everything else is pretty Effn cool though

in the metro page, move the fourth knob to the right until it stops . If that doesn’t work, I will update and add a key combo to enable / disable the click. Btw, I’m curious to know if any of you has an Organelle-M, how much cpu does it take?. Greetings! Ser

Serquencer will get in the next free update (1 or 2 days) insert FX per channel and 7 channels more (14 channels in total)

1 Like

Controlling openframeworks via midi:

1 Like

This is really nice. Do you the ETC for organelle?

Hi! After reading the manual, watching the quickstart guide video and jamming a bit with the patch here are my thoughts:

Overall I think it’s a great patch with a lot of potencial. But I also believe it needs some improvements and corrections. First of all parameters jump when changing pages and moving the knobs so it would be nice to have the “takeover requirement” that C&G multipage patches have so the jumps don’t happen. It would also be cool to be able to save a preset inside the patch or with the Save option in Storage settings. The LED’s could taken advantage of for more functions/indications for example blinking with the bpm from metronome or other functions/indications. Then if I got it right there are 5 sampler channels and 2 synths, right? How will the new updates work/ be released?

On screen it would nice if the texts started with capital letters and had no underscores so that everything is tidier and understood better (I think for example Offset is misspelled as “oofset”, Swing as “SChwing” and Loop as “L00p” or I don’t know if you wanted that way). The parameters of Tempo (bpm), swing and the synths parameters have a lot of decimals so it would be better to convert them to whole numbers (which I think would just be adding the “integer” object) and it would cool for Tempo bpm to go up to 200. What does index stand for in the synths? Also why does swing go from 50 to 83, wouldn’t it be better to go from 0-10 or 0-100%? The offset parameter only goes from 0-8 shouldn’t it up to 16? For the transpose parameter I think it would be better to just have it in octaves (from -2 to +2) ratter than semitones. Then complexity parameter only goes up to 99 instead of 100 and I found it doesn’t always work well. Sometimes when you a have a 16 steps sequence you either have a few notes (below 50%) or all the notes on and there’s not much in between. On the sequencer page it would cool be be able to undo and maybe redo the input of notes and I found sometimes notes take a little time to appear on the sequence and the values that appear on the screen from knobs 2 and 3 differ from the knob values (for example 16 steps and on the screen appears 15). Then when you return to the seq page from instrument page or mixer the sequence line at the bottom disappears. What does Loop actually do I didn’t understand and how does the sampling work I didn’t try it but I’m not sure how it works so a video tutorial that goes more in depth on how the patch works would be great. On mixer page it would be nice to have control over the roomsize of the reverb and the delay time and feedback for example and on the master page having an option to latch the effects and also seeing their names on screen would help a lot (plus some extra effects like phaser, sweep filter, Lo-fi filter, etc would be really cool). On the samplers I also found that when you load a new/change sample it makes noise that would be nice to avoid. Finally when you stop all (Aux+C#) on the metro page and you start it again it doesn’t start clean and does like a super quick seq that doesn’t sound good at all. And also couldn’t get any sound from the metronome. Oh and I forgot, I think there’s no need to call “Shift” button to the Aux button on the patch manual because all organelle patches and even the C&G manual and everything calls it Aux so people are familiar with it.

I found this patch really fun, usefull and great overall but as I said I think it needs some corrections and improvements to achieve all his potential. Sorry if my ideas are super messy, I know it’s a lot of info but I hope it helps the development of the patch. Also how are controlling the visuals on that last video you uploaded? It looks awesome! I’m looking forward on the updates you come up with.

Regards :slight_smile:

Ps: I have an Organelle M and using the seven channels the CPU usage is around 29-32% but I don’t know much about the 4 cores and if they are all being used.

Hi! . Now that’s some serious feedback! ^^ , Thanks. :slight_smile:
1- Parameter jumps…
Can you tell me in which cases is annoying to you?. I didn’t plan to do the takeover but I could implement it in the cases where it could be an improvement for everybody.
I (always) like better the patches that don’t have the takeover system and you hear the change immediately when you tweak the parameter.
2-Saving: It’s coming (not soon )but probably just with the patch / saving option.
3- blink bpm: consider it done in the next update
4- There are 14 channels now and the system is modular so, if you want for instance to place a synth in channel-1, In puredata, you delete the sampler object that has the number -1 and you type for instance [s3fm 1] in a new object. That will create (and connect) a fm synth that gets notes from sequencer 1 and outputs the audio to channel 1 . If you “forgot” to delete the sampler object, you would simply hear both things at the same time…
5- CApitals, etc. yeah, I can make the labels more “normal”, I tend to the opposite… Underscores sometimes “have” to be there as the display works with “strings” and sometimes, spaces aren’t allowed so that’s the standard option when spaces arent allowed…
6- tempo / swing [int], yes, 200bpm?, yes. (next rel) Swing starts at 50% because it’s a “standard”. like in ableton or akai or elektron machines. Negative Swing exists but I don’t want to get into that territory…
7-transpose: It was initially as you say… maybe I just got bored of that but I can revert to that…
8- complexity. Do you know about other machine / software that has a similar feature? . Maybe then I can borrow ideas from it.
9-knob 2/ 3 values. I just noticed that… Thanks for pointing out.
Also, now the visual updates of recorded notes happen quicker.
10- Undo/ redo: Is there a patch that has that feature?. I thought about doing Copy/paste though that could work between channels. And “punch delete”. like if a note is wrong, , pressing a keycombo at that time / or… When step, sequence editor will come, yo could go to a specific position and introduce note / silence / whatever.
11- line that disappears from mixer to Seq:. Fixed
12-loop. Oh… that got broken… otherwise, it allows for doing small loops with the samples up to the point that a sample sounds like a synth… :slight_smile:
#For recording into the samplers do Shift+ rec and whenever you make a sound in the organelle input, the newly recorded sample it will replace the older one. I should figure out a way of choosing the lenght of the new recorded sample… By Now, the trick if you want to record a longer sample. Load a longer sample before and that’s the lenght that will remain for your recording.
Effects control. yes, but there are 4 aux sends effect slots so I have to come up with a way to organize that nicely in the current interface.
latch master effects?, hmm… That’s a personal preference. Although I thought about sequencing that… through my Patreon, I thought about helping people customizing the patch according to their personal taste. giving private puredata lessons, etc. This would take 5 min to do, for instance. (the latching). (or the takeover…)
#Clicks when loading samples… This is a well known issue of Pd…
the solution is to load very slooowly the sounds, which I’m not very happy about…
#Stop / Start Metro… Yes, that’s link catching up with the beginning of the “bar” I guess I have a solution for that…

The visuals were done in Ofelia: Of/puredata and I was receiving midi notes from 3 or 4 channels. Quite improvised. but I will improve the whole thing “slowly”

Greetings and thanks for the feedback.

I will post here a video with the new updated features and I will email the contributors with the new version.

1 Like

Ofelia (Openframeworks inside pd).

1 Like

Awesome thanks! Looking forward for the next update with everything. Regarding the takeover I think all of them. For example if you adjust the reverb in one channel, then go back to the seq page and you want to change the number of steps it jumps. As for complexity maybe “Snapper” or “Euclidean rhythms” (check them on Patchstorage) I’m not sure. For undo and redo on seq if there will be a step editor I think thats better. So loop is for speeding a sample to make it pitched then? I’ll try recording a sample to see how sampling and loop works. And I agree sample lenght would be great. What do you mean by loading the samples very slowly?

Can’t wait for the update and everything thanks for the awesome patch.

getting there with the copy paste within and between track sequences:

4 Likes

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience of this patch with the organelle m? It looks great.

1 Like

Hi!, It works fine in the Organelle M with the added benefit of midi out working straight from the box, without the need for adapters.

1 Like

hi!

I’m having a bit of trouble with it. I can get synth and sample sounds okay, but can’t seem to start the sequencer. I tried a random sequence, got some *s, changed ‘start:0’ to ‘start:1’, but nothing happening. I tried turning knob 4 on the metronome page too. I don’t get a metronome click sound either on that page.

Also, I tried record, played, stopped record. but, still no sequence starts.

I’m not connecting any midi thing externally.

what am I missing?

I downloaded the latest version, today, version 0.341, by the way.

Is there any release notes available between the 0.3 and the 0.341?

Hi andy!. That’s strange… Have you checked this video?
Which organelle / Os do you have?. I’m going to download and test out I’m working on upgrading the sequencer but it’s not ready yet…

2 Likes

@nicolasbulb. in the “patches” page, there is a new features video http://servando.teks.no/?patches/

Organelle 1, OS 3.1.

Maybe the problem is the older OS system I’m using. Do you think that’s the problem? But, I can’t upgrade to the OS version 4. Too complicated. Darn it.