Multichannel sequencer / modular environment

Do you already have an example of the upcomping Looper?

nothing new in that regard, I have an actual big list of things to work on but I think I shouldn’t add more features while I don’t properly document what is already there…

Sequencer fixed for OS 3.1

Amazing! thank you so much!

Hey Servando, thank you for this super fun patch. Rocking out with v0.342 and I have a few questions.

I can’t figure out how how to change the synth engines from the FM one. I’m using shift plus D# on the instrument page in channels 5, 6, 7. What am I missing?

Is there a way to assign a channel to be MIDI out?
Edit: nevermind I realized the channel number is also the MIDI channel number.

And this is more of a request: I’d love a quick run through of how to utilize the expanded 64 step sequencer.

Thanks again so much, this patch is so sick!

Hej!. I’m going to make a video about how to swap the synth / sampler engine in any channel. It takes seconds but it’s not super trivial… It requires to open the puredata patch though. If I remember, I will show also how to select 32 or 64 steps.
greetings.

3 Likes

Brilliant! That’s working now (Organelle 1, OS 3.1), and it’s AMAZING STUFF!

Thank you for taking the time to fix it up for the older OS system. It’s really great of you.

The patch is wonderful, and even though I have only tried it for five minutes, it’s actually easier to use than I imagined.

1 Like

More ppl should be fuckin with this patch. Never has this level of functionality and flexibility felt so immediate on the Organelle, which I mean as a compliment to the patch. Sounds really good for being so light on the CPU too. Can’t wait to try the new synths, but honestly the FM ones just rule. It’s a never ending polyrhythmic wonderland with tons of tweakable live effects. There’s also really fast live sampling and MIDI control. Runs really clean especially for a beta. Servando, you are a wizard. Keep going on this masterpiece!

2 Likes

Yeah! Absolutely agree!

Whilst the samples that come pre-loaded on it are great, I have been dropping my own samples that I have on my computer into the sample folders. It’s really easy to do!

And, being able to add effects to the samples, the possibilities are endless.

1 Like

If you mess with the loop/attack/decay knobs on the sampler instrument page you can get some granular type modulations on your playing samples. Then slap some reverb and delay on there and baby you got a stew goin.

1 Like

I started to make a video and then I discovered that there is a “bug” in the new sequencers… Right now the only way to end up with a larger than 16 step sequence is to enable recording and then press shift+ D, this will cycle through 32 / 64 / 128. Once that long sequence is running, touching the lenght knob will throw you back to less than 16 steps… and I also will have to ditch the metronome green light because then it’s more difficult to know if you are recording or not… For swapping a sampler for a synth: first make a copy of the s3rquencer folder so you don’t have to worry about messing up anything. then open the “main” patch with puredata. this can be done or Organelle itself or in your laptop. Any pd version will work. you are not gonna have sound but that’s ok. then, for instance, if you want to replace sampler 4 for a synth , you go into edit mode Ctrl+E or Cmd+ E and you select the sampler 4 (the one between the sequencer 4 and the channel 4) then you delete it pressing delete / backspace.
Now in it’s place you put a new object by pressing Ctrl+ E and you type inside something like “s3sawfm 4” or “s3fm 4” without “” . to put a sampler module back, you would type “s3s4 4” and that’s it… I started to try a way to switch engines from the organelle just by pressing a combo but that occasionally leads into a disturbing sound so I stopped that until I figure out how to make it right.

Cool, I went into Pure Data replaced s3sawfm 7 with s3fm 7 and it works! Thanks so much for your work man.

And I see what you mean with the sequencer, but it’s nice to be able to set up chord changes with a solid bass line for example, and I can still offset the longer sequences without issue so it’s still really great!

Thank you! Super excited to check this out today :slight_smile: one question, am I able to midi map the fx to a controller to have access to more parameters at one time?

1 Like

yes, by default Fx-1(delay) is always cc-13 and Fx2 (Reverb) is cc-14 pan is cc15 and volume cc16, also, the four first parameters are cc1—cc4 and the midi channel is the same as the s3rquencer channel… This is actually the same midi mapping as the teenageengineering op-z sends out… I hope your midi controller allows for sending data in different channels… If not, a hack is always possible

1 Like

btw!, Looper module will be coming sooner than I expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks I’ll give it a try!

Hey I just bought your S3ruencer and wanted to say congrats on the incredible work!

I was hoping you could help explain how I could add a patch that exists in Orac (The Subharmonicon - https://patchstorage.com/subharmonicosc/)
to work on one of channels?
Was thinking your multi sequencer with easy and multiple polyrhymic sequences and the subharmonicon patch on multiple channels would be a pretty good representation of the actual beast itself.

1 Like

In the s3rquencer folder , there is a patch named “s3template” this object was made to ease the development and integration of new synths. It includes the input from the respective sequencer, gets inputs from the knobs and the buttons. it displays parameters in the display and sends the audio to it’s respective channel. It includes the same effects as in other channels and it has also an attack/ decay envelope, in case that someone wants to make a synth “from the scratch”. I will try making a simple video about this.

super ultra_quick adaptation of the subharmonicosc to s3rquencer: s3subharm.pd (21.9 KB)
Check in this thread in order to replace synths in s3rquencer
and btw, note that in the s3rquencer folder there is also a “s3subtract” synth. also “work in progress”., I’m editing a video now that explains how to use the s3rquencer template in order to import / create you own synths / sound sources

3 Likes

Thank you so much for setting that up so quickly! May tweak it a bit so I can control the harmonics more precisely but that with your s3subtract is a lot of fun already.

I have som questions regarding the sequencer and the synth/sample engine:

Is there a way to make the loop longer than 16 beats? I see a display saying bar 1 which makes me think there are more than 1?

I’m struggling to record in time with the click as the display seems to register my 1 on the 2nd beat. Gets a little confusing. Also can’t seem to get sequence to register note timings accurately all the time. Sometimes its making an 1/8th rhythm a 1/16th instead (Im guessing that has to do with quantizer?)

Is there an option to make the synth engine/sample polyphonic? Or have the ability to alternate between mono and polyphonic.

For the sampler recording a new sample is playing a weird trick. On channel 1 - 7 the sample I play is recorded 2 octaves lower than the sound. Channel 8 - 14 is 1 octave lower.
Also noted that I have to gain my samples quite high from my PO33 (organelle Input registers volume as almost clipping but it’s still pretty soft)
I Haven’t tried importing a sound yet.

It’s so cool how quick it flows when you get the hang of it and a cheat sheet card.
Lastly do you think you’ll add a preset function down the line? Although it is pretty nice how free it is.

Thanks again for the great work

Hej!

Shift + D should allow for longer sequences. (I gotta see if you have the last version) Quantizing is always 1/16. monitoring with latency could induce errors in the recording. I implemented a compensation for that but still I can’t tell if the quantizing it’s early or late…
there is the Old sequencer [s3sq ] that always get the timing right but it can just be 1 bar long that’s why I left it there and “forked” a new sequencer using other objects that improves certain things but brings new challenges… :confused:
voices are mono. in case of bringing a polyphonic synth, it would be possible to assign different sequencers to the same synth . maybe some day I will make a poly sequencer but there are other priorities on the list…
Recording new samples: Whatever you record in the samplers gets assigned to pitch= 60 (middle c) . But probably the issue has to do with the sequencers (the ones that don’t indicate the Bar are the old seq.)
Volume thing: I will take a look to that
Presets… Maybe, but probably just storing the sequences. Since the patch is modular, it’s more difficult to recall things and “saving” has always been a pain in pd… Maybe that’s why Orac uses javascript?. Anyway I don’t know much about Js so that’s not in the list…