Multichannel sequencer / modular environment

Perhaps I need to wait for the video, but I put the s3subharm.pd into the folder (opened it to check it was pd and not a text file), deleted a sampler okay (number 4, the box with the sliders on, right?), that was okay, I made a box and typed ‘s3subharm’ and a new box with sliders appeared in the space I had made. I saved the changes to the patch. Were these the correct steps?

But then, when I tried it on the organelle, channel 4 just said ‘sampler’, but seemed empty and wouldn’t make a sound.

Could anyone tell me what I might have done wrong?

I think the problem might that little yellow number at the top right of the box. It should be a 4, but it is a 0 and I don’t know how to change it, or should it automatically change? I also tried adjusting the volume on the channel, but no sound on channel 4.

S3subharm 4

1 Like

THANKS! yes! I missed that damned little ‘4’! Now it works!

:slight_smile:

All I want to say is WOW - @Servandob you sir have not only made something incredible here, but provided very detailed, precise instructions both in terms of its use and how to edit it. This patch looks to be very possibly the most exciting new development for the organelle since Orac (which also imo deserves the very same, endless amounts of praise). I haven’t tried it yet, but super excited to give it a go - so for now just want to say THANK YOU. Also, I saw that you were considering offering pd private lessons through your patreon and I’d love to take you up on this as I tend to learn best through one on one instruction. Let me know if you’re still considering this, and thanks again for an amazing piece of work!

Had a few minutes with this. Really fun, as expected. Curious I saw that you had a plaits emulator going with it in one of your videos. Is this available? And other synths? I saw you ported the subharmonicon going to try that out. Thanks again for making such neat interface, below some feedback on possible future updates.

When switching from Mix to Instrument page parameter names don’t update (not a major issue but a little distracting/disorienting).

Extended sequence length reverts back to 16 if you navigate away from page or change the offset. It could be nice if for extended sequences the page updated every 16 steps so you see the steps being played.

I’m glad the muting works well for both internal voices and midi - maybe even better if for internal voices, muting didn’t cut off a currently playing note, but maybe this was on purpose and a matter of preference?

There’s also an issue where when unmuting a voice even if you had turned volume down, it comes back at 100% - this is an issue if you’re doubling an internal voice with something being sent midi, and just want to unmute the midi while keeping the internal voice off.

It’s cool that the sequence resets every 16 steps, would be nice if you had an option for how often to reset the sequence (or to never reset) - this could be nice use of the 3rd knob on metronome page :slight_smile:

edit: have to add - I love the loop mode Easter egg :laughing:

1 Like

Ok - I think I discovered a bug here: Was on track 5, went to fx, turned on vowel, then went to track 4 sequencer to adjust octave and it’s also still affecting the vowel of track 5’s fx. A fix for this would be rad. Actually seems that no matter where I navigate that knob is now continuing to affect the vowel parameter. I don’t think it’s doing it on the other fx.
edit: I should note that track 5 is the subharmonicon, I’m pretty sure it’s specific to that. The subtractive synth doesn’t seem to allow one to select from the fx… so I guess these issues are “module” specific. I hope this is helpful when considering next update that’s all!

1 Like

Will take a look to this things for the next update. Greetings

1 Like

0.36 Update Changelog:
*Un-muting a channel will respect the pre selected volume rather than bringing it to full.
*improvements into handling pages graphics in the display.
*Now it’s more direct / intuitive to use larger sequences (Shift + D1). Last line of the display will just display 1st bar though…
*In case of messing up the sync. in sequences with more than 16 steps, enabling recording will re-sync that sequence (sequence start in 1st beat)

*New input object (s3input), Octatrack style that allows for selecting channels L / R mixed or independently. There is a gain/distortion effect and also the usual insert fx . With that, together with the Aux effects in the channels, now its possible to use s3rquencer as mixer for external hardware .
I added an input object in channel 14 . It’s muted by default . Knob 1 selects input and Knobs 2 / 3 selects gain
Of course it’s also possible to add another input object to channel 13 and have totally independent L / R input controls / effects, etc.

Aaanddd… Newer easter egg in the sampler. go to decay parameter and twist it full to the right while there is some looping going on.

3 Likes

I will put this here because perhaps around half(?) of this weird, alternative soundtrack was recorded using Prince samples manipulated using Servandob’s S3rquencer.

Basically, it’s a GREAT, AMAZING, WONDERFUL SEQUENCER that I used to construct many of these STUPID, SCUZZY, BUZZY tracks …

---->

1 Like

I’m working super hard this days in order to get it finished as soon as possible!. But then the documentation is also important (1 xtra day I hope…)..

Again, a lot of the FANTASTIC S3rquencer used on this one!

A mess! But hopefully an interesting mess!

2 Likes

I just bought it and tried it out, very impressive @Servandob

Initial thoughts are that it is quite easy to use, maybe the display could be used a bit better to more clearly indicate the current mode?

Metronome is way too loud.

Sequencer start stop seems to continue rather than restart - maybe add a function for restart from beginning on the D# key?

Mute status could be a little clearer? Bigger character such as O for playing blank for muted?

Some of the punch fx keys in master seemed inactive? Great to see punch fx though!

These are just my initial thoughts, I only played with it for 15 minutes, I really look forward to trying it out some more, incredible work though, so don’t take my words as complaints.

A request for a nice acid synth with accents and slides, that would be awesome.

1 Like

Thanks!

Possibly I will find ways to indicate better the current mode, it’s a bit tricky though because I can’t use colors or Graphics combined with the currently displayed information.

Volume for metronome can be controlled using 4th knob

Sequencer start stop… there was a bug with that before I Implemented this new sequencers so I should try again to see if now it’s possible

Punch Fx, Slowly I will fill the gaps. there are so many options and so little keys … I’m thinking also about using the knobs to be able to adjust last pressed Fx but yeah, that will take a while.
Acid synth:. I have a roland sh-101 and a moog werkstatt clones working in plain pd so I just need to adapt them to organelle / serquencer.

3 Likes

Great news! For the metronome I knew it could be turned down but the max level is what I meant, it can be easy to inadvertently get blasted with it when not intended. Also the first half of the knob has no level and it starts from mid position but it seems that I have to turn it to max then back down before it will sound at all, ideally when the knob is at 1’oclock seems to be optimum default level, still plenty loud enough.

For the fx I think maybe a nice way would be to hold the punch key for whichever fx is chosen and turning a knob scrolls a preset parameter, for example a stutter with preset values of 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32/etc.

I’m hoping to have a good play with it this weekend, looking forward to that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! Are you still working on this a little? Did you move onto other things?

The longer, 32 step or 64 step sequence seems to get lost when you change the page. I don’t know if that is changeable.

Stutter effect would be amazing!

1 Like

Hej!,
I got a 7 days a week job for a while so I didn’t had extra time to work on this. Will update it soon but I have no dates yet…
I gotta check that error you are telling me. can you give me more details? . So, if you stay in the sequencer page, there is no problem? is it just an off sync or the error is accumulative? . Thx for the feedback

2 Likes

Hijacking this post just to give you props on a great patch/modular environment you created.

1 Like

thanks!.
I’m working on the next (free) update. I’m planning also to release in patchstorage / github a “free/ lite” version of S3rquencer so more people can get a taste about what this patch can do and if they like it they could go to Gumroad and support the project while getting many extra features.
Also since the patch is “modular” it would be cool if other pd coders decide to contribute with their different Fx / Synths / Sequencers, etc…
Anyway, still will take me a bit of time as I also want to improve documentation, etc…
greetings
S

4 Likes

Thats great, i think instruments like the organelle are the future of music performance and creation. I am contemplating teaching myself pure data to really get the full potential. I also have recommended your patch to a couple people as well, i prefer out of the box sequencers like yours instead of the normal 16 step grid. They tend to yield fascinating results. I think the most powerful part of your patch is how well your envelope can shape the sample while keeping audio quality intact. Is there a way to load user samples into the patch?

1 Like