Need help finding OS download for microSD card (ETC and Organelle trouble shooting)

My Organelle and ETC both stopped working at the same time. The only thing i can think of that mightve caused this issue is poorly controlled temperature management in my attic studio space. This issue started in the summer when it was particularly hot and I noticed that the both microSD cards had slightly warped. Could that be the reason for why the ETC is showing the red trouble shooting light? Or why my organelle will not boot up past 99%? Im just spit-balling ideas here. Anyways, I bought new MicroSD cards and am trying to find a download link to flash the OS onto the microSD card. If anyone has that link please forward it. The only link I have found was “Index of /etc/diskimages” and it does not open on my computer. I am also struggling to figure out how to properly flash the OS onto the microSD card once I find the OS. Besides “balenaEtcher”, is there any other programs I need to be able to properly flash my OS? I’m not the most skilled troubleshooting/programming expert. All I’m trying to do is replace my MicroSD card and get my OS running properly. I’ve been having a difficult time contacting Critter and Guitari for potential repairs. Does Critter and Guitari still do repairs? And what would be the easiest way for me to contact them? I’ve tried through email and have not heard back in a couple of weeks. They have repaired my organelle previously and I am obviously willing to pay for the repair if a repair is needed. Any help is very needed. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, excessive heat in your attic could have caused damage to the SD cards! Must have been hot if they warped! :grimacing:

In the case of the ETC, the red LED on startup will be shown if there is a problem loading the OS. Similarly, the original Organelle’s boot progress will hang at 99% if there is an issue loading its OS. The OS is located on the respective instrument’s SD card and if the SD card is damaged, it would make sense to get the red LED/99% behaviors.

We just updated the ETC manual with instructions on burning the OS to a new card:
https://critterandguitari.github.io/ETC_Manual/#Chapter_Five_-_Appendix

The instructions for burning the original Organelle’s OS are here:
https://www.critterandguitari.com/manual?m=Organelle_Manual#71-burning-sd-card-disk-image

If you have any issues, please contact us via email - I just replied to your email.

Hi, wondering if you can help me. Trying to boot up the ETC for the first time in a year or two. At first, I was getting numerous errors during boot up (see attached), and would end up at the Test Mode page, but from there I couldn’t load any scenes or do anything. After trying a few more times, the LED now just turns red and doesn’t start up at all.

I’m trying to follow the instructions you posted, but pushing in the black microSD with a pin does nothing… it doesn’t “spring out” like it says it should. Is it stuck? Not sure where to go from here and would appreciate help, thanks.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 12.33.37 AM

A download link is here:

http://thepeacetreaty.org/etc/diskimages/20170310-etc.img

(posted by @oweno here)

To write the image to the card I use the balena etcher on Mac OS.
On Linux I simply use the command “dd”

Oh, and about the getting the microSD card: the SD card can be stuck on the corner of the slot in the enclosure. I use the blade of a screwdriver. I first push the SD-card into(!) the slot (about a millimeter), and then I let it “jump” out; in fact it won’t jump out really but its end will reach outside the enclosure.

If you still can’t get it, you have to remove the eclosure:

• pull the potentiometer knobs from the shafts
  • remove the nuts and washers from the potentiometers
  • remove the USB stick and the WIFI stick
  • remove the five small screws on the longer sides (three on the rear, two on the front)

Now you should be able to remove the enclose
You will see the SD card holder. And assumingly now you will see also how it works (and will be able to remove the SD card without dismounting the whole thing - at least that is, how I learned it).