New Patch - Rebound (from Norns orig by enneff)

edit: fixed issue where ball2 was panned hard hard left on x axis sounds
Reboundd1.1.zip (24.9 KB)

If you know the Norns patch you know what this is:
Spawn orbs that trigger samples when they hit the screen sides
Each orb has its own controls via holding one of the first 5 black keys.
Hold one of the keys and press aux to spawn a ball, and control speed, ball size, and volume with the knobs (you must keep holding down the key as you turn the knobs- each ball has it’s own black key that opens access to the knob controls when held down)

Hold the 6th black key to control reverb settings (size, damp, stereo width, wet/dry)

Any feedback is more than welcome I am sure it’s not perfect yet!

edit: drop samples 1.wav etc up to 5 into the folder

8 Likes

Great !
I don’t know the original patch because I don’t have Norns but anyway yours is really awesome !
It reminds me of the PONG patch for organelle too which has precisely certain settings which, in my opinion, would make your patch even better. And then here’s my feedback.

1. It would have been really cool if the ball settings had an effect on the sound. For example, the size of the ball could define the pitch of the sample. Maybe also when the ball hits a horizontal edge the sample is played forward, and when the ball hits a side edge the sample is played backward. Or maybe just one of the 4 edges… Maybe there’s something to do with it.

2. It would be useful to be able to put off the balls after having thrown them.

3. Would it be possible to add an effect page? Even one effect per sample would be super cool!

4. What about a sample envelope ?

5. Last point, it may be my use that does not lend itself to it, but I never understood the point of bringing out the reverb on one channel and the dry on the other. Is a merged output possible?

Anyway this patch is really amazing and the display makes the stuff super fun.

Hey thanks for the kind words and feedback/suggestions!

I should give credit to @varicela for the counter system that dictates the ball movement while taking the ball radius into account. That was taken directly from the pong patch.

I’m curious though what features pong has that you’re wanting implemented here, if you could be more specific about that.

As for everything else they’re all good ideas but the point of this patch was to be relatively simple and also the truth is I’m not very good with pure data yet so wouldn’t be sure how to do most of your suggestions.

I do agree that being able to disappear a ball might be a good addition.

The reverb should be mixed in both channels left and right- knob 4 increases wet level as you turn the knob from 0 to half way, then decrease dry from half way to fully clockwise. Is it not working like that for you?!

Hey, thanks for the patch but I was not able to use it on my O1. Normal? I have a total blank screen…

Blank screen is normal when you load up the patch. See the instructions in my original post above- the patch works by holding down each of the black keys to access different controls for each ball. Make sure you load samples into the patch folder as well named 1.wav, 2.wav etc up to 5.wav
Please let me know if you still have any trouble :slight_smile:

I should add that this isn’t an exact replica of the original - but I saw a video and liked the idea of it so decided to give it a try. It’s also my first patch other than simple mods of existing patches so I hope there aren’t any issues/bugs but if there are im glad to try and work them out

thanks for sharing with us your patch :grinning:

1 Like

You’re welcome. I like how you’re using it. Nice IG - I am Vires on there in case ur wondering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I have great balls running around the screen, but they don’t play samples. I created a folder with five one-shot samples of 1.wav…5.wav. Uploaded this folder to the “Reboundd” folder. What did I do wrong?

1 Like

The samples need to be directly in the patch folder, not a separate folder within the folder

Hurray! Everything worked out!!! Thanks!!!

1 Like

Very interesting sequences are obtained! Cool!!!

1 Like

@chrisk I am attempting to add external input, but when nothing is plugged into the input jack the reverb begins feeding back on itself when it’s at higher levels. Is this a hardware issue or am I patching something wrong. I have the input objects going into the reverb, parallel to the audio from the samples. Reverb then goes to throw out… If a hardware issue, are there known workarounds?
Thanks if you can help!

It’s not a hardware issue. Can you post a screenshot of your code?

I tried both of these - in both cases the reverb feeds back on itself at higher levels. I double checked and seems I was mistaken, it occurs whether or not something is plugged into the input jack - so yeah my bad, not a hardware issue. Thanks for helping out!

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 12.46.27 PM
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 12.47.24 PM

1 Like

@chrisk any idea what could be causing the feedback?

I’ve reinstalled version 1.1 and prepared 5 wav files. this is sickly good. Thank you for this patch. The graphic and simplicity yet random result is exactly the feeling I like when I first bought my organelle.
Maybe, a simple splash screen with the name of the patch as a validation that it is loaded would be welcomed. but thanks again.

I tried the following patch but wasn’t able to get any feedback on my Organelle M (with or without the osc~ or audio input connected to the freeverb object):

Maybe you had a [throw~ allL/R] & [throw~ outL/R] mix up?

@chrisk did you try with room size all the way up? I also have both left and right inputs idk if that would make a difference. I will post the patch with the inputs added so if you want to test further you can without having to try and recreate a similar situation. I do also have a weird phasy feedback on the tail end of sounds when I use my headphone output, so it may be something is not 100% right with my unit after all :woman_shrugging:

Yes, with all the controls to the maximum. Still no feedback.

I tried it with both inputs connected using the Organelle M’s mic ([r~ inL]).