Orac 2.0

Hello @thetechnobear :slight_smile: first i’d like to thank you again for Orac, you and everyone involved, it’s a wonderful journey for me so far. i know you don’t have time for this right now but i have a humble pair of suggestions for improving the experience on the Organelle :

• when switching between pages and modules there is a pop-up box showing the slot/module/page names (ex. a1:Grids or Chain A Gain) that adds 0.5sec. for us to see the desired module/page because it shows in the middle above everything

0.5 second can look like nothing but when playing with Orac i feel it’s a lot, and beside from the user-experience it also takes me time when patching module with graphics to deal with these boxes and avoid UI issues.

after thinking about it, my best suggestion would be either to remove these pop-ups or to place them at the top or bottom of the screen, on 1 line at a normal text size (8), they could replace the VU-meter infobar to show these messages for 0.5sec, it would be able to contain more caracters but most importantly would allow us to switch pages instantly :slight_smile:

• when the encoder is pressed to show the Orac menu, it takes near 3 seconds to go back to the module

what i would do if i could is to remove this [delay ±3500] thing, bypass aux when entering the Orac menu and use it (aux) to go back to the module.

i looked into the patch to see if i could do these myself instead of asking you, but i didn’t found (i think it’s hidden in the KontrolRack or something that i don’t know how to open), but even if i alter my Orac for the pop-ups i would have issues sharing my modules…

hopefully you’ll give your feedback about this…? (anyone)

happy 2020 :v:

Hey y’all, thanks for all your work and dialogue, great forum. So, I just got a sustain pedal (yamaha FC5) for use with the Organelle and I’d like to implement it with some Orac patches (in a different way than “r aux” functionality). For instance, I’d like to add basic sustain to brds, and have depression of the pedal activate the freeze in clds. Any input into how to do this would be great, I’m struggling (very basic PD user here). I understand “r fs”, but I don’t know where to put it in the patches. Again, thanks so much, happy new year!

#2 - I agree that the wait to get out can feel a bit slow. I think changing the aux behaviour would maybe be confusing (no other controls change when the menu is active). Maybe there could be a top level shortcut to close the menu.

Most of these changes would need to be done in the externals in: https://github.com/TheTechnobear/MEC/
I would think about trying out the change above, but unfortunately due to a move I wont have access to my gear for a while.

1 Like

i must admit we would have to get used to it, but i don’t think losing the aux control in the menu is a big deal, as long as we can exit it quickly, we would have to press aux twice (once to get back to it, once again for its action), at least that sounds better to me than having to wait 3sec.

i thought about a top-level shortcut to close the menu too but it wouldn’t be benefic while navigating in a middle of a list…

i think that this automatic menu-closing thing is annoying anyway, because sometimes it’s the opposite : we can’t take a break more than 3 seconds when selecting a module otherwize we have to navigate thru folders again…

1 Like

Any reason this shows up as a .zop file on patchstorage?

hi @jonbuzzard :wave: a .zop file is an installer and should be placed in the /Patches folder, it will appear in the patch list (as “Install orac.zop” for instance)

Sorry away at the moment , back next week

I’ve made the delay time on the menu configurable in some parts ( in orac.json) but can’t remember if this is released yet and if it’s in the organelle part of the code - I’ll check when I get back it’s a pretty trivial change.

Irony is here, it was made configurable as some users complained the exit time was too fast for new users :wink:

1 Like

hello Mark, just an update about my concern for the pop-ups when changing pages/modules, after thinking about it even more and so to avoid imposing my need to anyone, i think the easiest change would be if you could send these message boxes to [s oscOut] if possible, so we (module developpers) would have the choice to keep them or to use [s oscOutRaw] (and send a 0 to the Gate) to bypass them.

i hope you will consider this… thank you :v:

P.S. oh and by the way, there’s nothing about the menu delay time in my orac.json file so i guess it’s unreleased :wink:

Menu timeout - ok, it’ll be in next release then :wink:

OscOut - not possible - I use an optimized threaded model inside kontrol to ensure decent performance - pushing back these messages on to the PD control thread would result in too much lag, and increase cpu utilization.

1 Like

So this might be far fetched, but would it be possible to make a clock module with an integrated clock multiplier where the multiplied clock is only being sent to midi out, bypassing the other modules?
I use the organelle as the master clock for my modular and it would be cool to be able to have my sequencers running on a multiple of the clock frequency without having to buy a clock multiplier module.

This is not that hard to do …

You a few choices :

• copy current clock module, and add a parameter which allows you to choose which clock division to output over midi (clock)

• create an new module, which listens to internal clock and outputs midi clock of a chosen division. You can use the midi output module as a starting point.

• for eurorack:)
    Only one midi clock can be output, but if you are using eurorack, what I do is output notes instead of clocks ( eg using an arp or sequencer) , and then use the ‘gate’ of that note as the clock
    Only possible on modular, as it’s ‘all voltage’ to modular - doesn’t realty care if it’s a clock or not :wink:

That’s great news! :slight_smile:

I have done some experimenting with option #3 in the past with the stock C&G euclidian patch and Turingmachina and it worked great. However for some reason my 2hp MIDI module only receive clock from orac. Neither pitch nor gate information. Also I’m pretty sure it’s set up to receive midi on all channels, so even if I could get it to work properly with orac I don’t think I would be able to mute incoming midi messages from the other orac modules.

So I guess it’s option #1 or #2 then. For someone who’s never done any work in pd, has an 8 month old and about 1-2 hours of free time in the evenings - which of the two do you recommend? :see_no_evil:

For option #1, would it be possible to use this div-mult from the turingmachina?
If so, where do I put it? :man_juggling:

Skärmavbild 2020-01-30 kl. 21.06.48

#1 is probably easier - just copy the clock module into a new module directory.

inside clock, you can see the section where it sends out midi clock messages based on 24ppqn pulses.

so if you want a sub division of that tempo, you just need to divide that 24ppqn down from that.
(examples are actually shown above where things like sixteens are send out from the module)

of course, if you want to make this ‘configurable’ then you will need to start adding parameters etc, as shown elsewhere… but you can start by just ‘hard coding’ a division as a proof of concept.

Ok! So say I want it to send sixteenth notes, all I have to do is change the number 24 to 6? Like this?

Skärmavbild 2020-01-31 kl. 19.30.16

Cause I just did that and the midi connection between the two devices is cut when loading the new clock module. So there must be something I’m missing, right? :thinking:

Sorry for going on about this… Still trying to get this to work :point_up_2: Is there any pd-savvy person who can shine some light on this multiplier thing and please help me out?

Hi–I’m trying to send midi notes out from the Organelle to my O-Coast–works just fine with all the regular C&G patches Ive tried (polybeats, genny, midi file player etc) but I’m having no luck getting midi out from any Orac modules–say polybeats in A1. Tried adding a midi0ut module at the end of the chain with no luck. Can’t figure where else in Orac to look.

Hoping/assuming it’s something obvious I’m overlooking–thanks for any help!

EDIT— Nevermind found the midi section of the router module and figured it out!

1 Like

Latest incarnation of orac…
This is why I like portable platforms, create your modules and patches on organelle, then run them on your modular :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Whoa that looks cool!! What is the module that runs Orac? The Little Traverse Bay? Is it some kind of Raspbery Pi based module?

Nice work!

Terminal Tedium is raspberryPi running orac the displays are connected via i2c to that.
I’m thinking of adding an i2c encoder, to give a bit more flexibility with the UI.

1 Like