ORAC Beginner Resources?

Hey, I’m recently picked up an Organelle and am wanting to better learn how to use ORAC. I’m a bit overwhelmed. I looked through the patch page on patchmanager and on critterandguitari.com, and watched the 30 minute video of technobear introducing ORAC 2.0.

However, I still don’t feel I have a good understanding of this wonderful beast, and I’m not finding it intuitive enough to learn as I play around in the patch. For example, I am not able to produce any output from any sample modules I’ve loaded. I understand how to run something like Euclidean Rhythms in the background and load another module, but things like module-module input/output is beyond me. I’m also curious about using one of the sampler modules to take audio in from the mic / external in and play with it, as I am with something like DJ Patch Record outside of ORAC.

Anyone have recommendations of resources / tutorials to learn ORAC more in-depth?

Thanks a ton!

4 Likes

Hi

it’s not particularly in depth, but this video really helped to me to get my head around Orac
https://youtu.be/fF9Ts7mKuBM
Also searching for posts on this forum for specific things like automating & midi learn helped a lot.

Did you ever figure it out? I am very much struggling with the complexity. It took me like 5 days to sort wifi.!! So ORAC 2 is very advanced. To date I have found zero step by step guides for ORAC.The Inventor tries to dumb it down but he speaks genius so it’s hard for him I guess. I think the community like that its hard to figure out, like a right of passage that once you get it you cannot just give it away.

I have an M FYI

1 Like

Hi, yes I feel like I have ORAC figured out for the most part, and feel very comfortable with multiple workflows using it. It took a few exploration sessions to get a feel for what it can do, and then it clicks and you are able to work with the system in a fluid way.

If I have some time in the coming days I can attempt to make some videos showing how I use ORAC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would also like to contribute some learning resources for ORAC :slight_smile: I’ll see if I can do a breakdown of how I go about converting patches and how I go about utilizing it along with some recommendations of user patches that I rely on.

2 Likes

Thanks @T8R that would be a great contribution :slightly_smiling_face:

Also since you did a great job with Oracloops would be great if you could share some tips from your experience with pd~ to help other people building more patches or converting existing ones for multicore.

1 Like

Thank you! Its a been a big project of mine for the past 3-4 months. I definitely will try to put together some kind of tutorial for utilization of multi core! I’ve also recently converted brds to multi core and am trying to get the process down to something that is repeatable but if it can become something everyone can use it could make ORAC amazingly powerful

2 Likes

Cool! I also was thinking about upgrading brds and macrosynth (plaits) with pd~ for multicore! They are amazing but also way too heavy on a single core…

2 Likes

Well just you wait… Macrosynth is the next one I’m tackling :wink:

1 Like

Alright here is my best attempt at a tutorial for Orac! Apologies for the somewhat unprofessional way I filmed this with the camera shake as I only have a little clamp attached to my desk to hold my phone but I tried to make sure the screen is bright and visible :slight_smile:

You can download all the modules and files I used in the video here GitHub - T888R/OracTutBundle: Orac tutorial bundle repo However I do not plan on keeping this repo updated

This is by no means a comprehensive tutorial in regards to all the possibilities of how you could set up Orac but I do make recommendations for modules and setups that I default to while showing you how to extend it further taking you from A to Z. If you want to learn more of the deep ins and outs though, be sure to go through the long threads on the forum to see what other people have done! I hope this serves you all well!

6 Likes

This is cool, thanks. Not quite what the OP was after, but I’ve got a rough tutorial here that provides some kind of step by step process for writing your own orac patches.

1 Like

Linking to a forum post on the main Orac thread where I uploaded my best attempt at written documentation for the platform.

4 Likes

Lots to digest! thanks

1 Like

Thanks, some written documentation was really missing! Maybe it should be added to the orac github and on patchstorage to help people get started? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe! This documentation is definitely more personalized to my workflow but I hope that I wrote broadly enough for it to be accessible as a good learning tool. As for getting it added to the GitHub, thats all up to @thetechnobear

1 Like