OTC v1.5 - ETC on Organelle

@chrisk @thetechnobear everything is working great - I was making a very silly mistake. I mixed up the concepts of an AP and connecting to an existing wifi network: while renaming the wifi.txt, I thought I was creating a new network for my computer to log in instead of connecting to my own home’s network.

I have two usbs, one running 3.0 and the other 3.1. It worked on both and, as mark said, the AP showing only while running the latter.

I’m sorry that I jumped to conclusions regarding the functionality of C&G’s dongle before actually understanding the concept and testing it. I’ll be more careful the next time.

thank you guys very much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

this is phenomenal work here.

1 Like

Hello, Organelle noob here

First of all thank you @thetechnobear for all the super cool patches, i’ve been enjoying my organelle journey thanks to you

I just have one question and it might sound stupid but i’m kind of new to connecting gear together…
so my question is : is it normal to have no audio out on OTC ? For some reason i thought that by plugging my OP-Z in the audio input of the organelle would allow me to use OTC and listen to the audio signal at the same time ! Am i missing something ? Is it supposed to work like that and i need a mixer or some kind of gear in between ?

Sorry if it sounds stupid, thank you for your attention :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a good question. There’s no audio sent out of the HDMI.

yes this is ‘normal’

OTC was a direct port of ETC code, which had no audio output , and also radically downsamples the audio input (8khz), as it doesn’t need more to update the graphics (and higher would increase processing time considerably)

its a probably not going to work if we try to bring this up to 44khz, even if we downsample, as I believe is currently single threaded, which means we cant use PWM_NORMAL (blocking mode) to transfer the input to the output…

however, it maybe we can just use the python alsa mixer control, to just let the audio pass thru alsa from line in to DAC/ HP_OUT. but Id need to test this…

I’ll say I never really thought of it much, as normally, my Organelle has it input connected to a send on my mixer … (and obviously outputs to an input mixer channel), so if Im using the Organelle for FX or for OTC, I just turn up the send level from any sound source I want to use :slight_smile:

but for sure, I can see useful in a portable setup, without a mixer.

ok, a quick test :wink:

so I can do this from the command line , so you could add this to the ‘run.sh’

this will mean that the headphone output will now come directly from the LINE_IN (input jack) rather that from the DAC (i.e the audio engine)

amixer cset numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Headphone Mux' 'LINE_IN'

obviously after you’ve finished its probably a good idea to set it back, to the DAC, so you can listen to organelle synths in your headphones :wink:

amixer cset numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Headphone Mux' 'DAC'

p.s. you’ll be please to know, it will revert back to DAC, if you reboot your organelle… so if you forget, rebooting your Organelle will get you back to normal.

… and before anyone asks, this ‘trick’ is only available for headphone output, you cannot do the same for main outputs, this would required something running to do an audio passthru.

(@chrisk/@oweno might be worth adding a few of these alsa mixer controls into the menu options - particular things like gain levels)

3 Likes

great question.

1 Like

great answer.

1 Like

Should the non-C&G ETC patches/modes work on the OTC? Is it just a matter of copying them to the appropriate OTC subfolder? I only just realized there are quite a few user modes available, and would like to try them out, but I’m away from my ORganelle, so can’t check it myself at the moment :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Lukasz

yup, they all should work fine

1 Like

Thanks, mate!

Holy shit! I’ve only tried my Digitakt with the OTC yesterday – 5 LFOs from 5 MIDI tracks controlling the OTC parameters make for some brilliant results. Once again, thank you @thetechnobear!

I’ve one question, though. Is it possible to have some way of controlling the clear the background switch?

1 Like

I would love to see the results! have you got any video of it?

not yet – I’ve no capturing device yet. will try and film something with my phone sometime this week. will post it here for sure.

1 Like

Hi @thetechnobear ! Thanks for your hard work on this.

I’m attempting to load the OTC_Mother.zop from the Patches folder, but am receiving a “Install FAILED. unable to unzip” message. Here’s an image: https://imgur.com/a/SOptVUq

I successfully installed the OTC_Install package. I did that by putting it into the patches directory and running it with no issues. I have not installed it more than once. I think downloaded all of the Modes from C&G’s website and put that in a “Modes” folder at the root of the USB stick.

I then downloaded the OTC_mother.zop and put that in the patches folder. I booted up the Organelle and scrolled down to where it says “Install OTC_Mother.zop” and when I choose that I receive the message above. I’ve tried redownloading the file and readding it to the USB stick (the stock one that came with the Organelle) several times with no luck.

Here is the otc_install.log:

installing otc
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) sdl-1.2.15-7

Total Installed Size:  1.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
installing sdl...
Optional dependencies for sdl
    alsa-lib: ALSA audio driver [installed]
    libpulse: PulseAudio audio driver
loading packages...

Packages (8) recordproto-1.14.2-2  cython2-0.27.3-2  libasyncns-0.8+3+g68cd5af-1  libmikmod-3.3.11.1-1  libpulse-11.1-1  libxtst-1.2.3-1  sdl_mixer-1.2.12-4  smpeg-0.4.5-3

Total Installed Size:  13.13 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       2.79 MiB

checking keyring...
loading package files...
upgrading cython2...
installing libasyncns...
installing recordproto...
installing libxtst...
installing libpulse...
installing libmikmod...
installing smpeg...
Optional dependencies for smpeg
    glu: to use glmovie
installing sdl_mixer...
Optional dependencies for sdl_mixer
    fluidsynth: MIDI software synth, replaces built-in timidity
loading packages...

Packages (4) portmidi-217-5  sdl_image-1.2.12-3  sdl_ttf-2.0.11-3  python2-pygame-1.9.1-10

Total Installed Size:  5.84 MiB

checking keyring...
loading package files...
installing sdl_ttf...
installing sdl_image...
installing portmidi...
Optional dependencies for portmidi
    java-runtime: for using pmdefaults
installing python2-pygame...
checking dependencies...

Packages (1) python2-pygame-1.9.1-10

Total Removed Size:  5.56 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 
removing python2-pygame...
Processing ./pygame-1.9.3.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: pygame
  Running setup.py install for pygame: started
    Running setup.py install for pygame: still running...
    Running setup.py install for pygame: finished with status 'done'
Successfully installed pygame-1.9.3
Processing ./psutil-5.4.1.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: psutil
  Running setup.py install for psutil: started
    Running setup.py install for psutil: finished with status 'done'
Successfully installed psutil-5.4.1
Processing ./pyalsaaudio-0.8.4.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: pyalsaaudio
  Running setup.py install for pyalsaaudio: started
    Running setup.py install for pyalsaaudio: finished with status 'done'
Successfully installed pyalsaaudio-0.8.4
install done

Thanks in advance for your help!

Are you mentioning the white small USB stick?

Yep, exactly. The small white one.

So, its notorious to NOT be very reliable and fail…
Can you please use a branded good quality USB stick and repeat all of the above.
(you can also move to a SD card only containing “everything”)

check the first/second post

1 Like

Ahhh got it. I will try over the weekend and report back. Thanks!