Squarp pyramid, USB, midi din

Hello

I am using a squarp pyramid with my organelle, and it works like a charm through the usb wire, which even power the pyramid. But for some reasons, I would like the midi infos to run via the midi din port of the pyramid, and reach the organelle through a midi usb interface. But I can get it to work, though the interface is recognized by the organelle, and recieves midi clock from thepyramid. The pyramid get no midi info from orgabelle midi in, and the organelle is not triggerd by the pyramid. I dont know what Ibam dping wrong, since I think I set correctly the midi chanels of all devices…
(I have a miditech midilink mini, and i did try with a prodipe)

Hoping somebody have an idea about this

1 Like

is it showing up in settings -> midi ?

if not run my diagnostic log , and post the results - this way we can see if its being recognised…

generally, if the usb midi hub is class compliant Ive not had any issues… Ive got various usb midi devices working include a blokas midihub… and the pyramid :slight_smile:

1 Like

@thetechnobear

Hi thank you very much for your help, and overall for making the organelle this good. I saw you also use a pyramid, but I assume you use the usb port right?

So I did what you said: my midi usb cable appears as “Midilink Mini MIDI 1” in the midi device setting, but I can’t get it to communicate with the pyramid via its midi din ports.

Here is the diagnostic log, hoping you might get a clue from this.

Thanks a lot!
diag_log.zip (2.5 KB)

you need to run the diagnostic tool, after you have run the PD patch, so I can see if it connects…

but from I can see in that log, it looks like it should work fine…

have you checked on the pyramid to see if its receiving any midi (settings->info-> midi in)

ive used the organelle with pyramid with both usb and midi din :slight_smile:

Hello

Thanks for your help! The pyramid doesn’t recieve midi from the organelle. Also I did test the midi out of a keystep via this midi usb interface on the organelle and it didn’t work. I think I will give a try buying a more expensive interface. Unfortunately the one recommended by critter and guitari is not available anymore.

Here is a new diag log with orac running… Hope it helps

diag_log.zip (2.3 KB)

Thanks a lot

ok, this time you diag does not show the midi device connected at all

so last time this is what your log file shows

ACONNECT 
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
	Connecting To: 15:0
client 15: 'OSS sequencer' [type=kernel]
    0 'Receiver        '
	Connected From: 0:1
client 28: 'MidiLink Mini' [type=kernel]
    0 'MidiLink Mini MIDI 1'
=================================================
AMIDI 
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:3,0,0  MidiLink Mini MIDI 1
APLAYMIDI 
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 28:0    MidiLink Mini                    MidiLink Mini MIDI 1
LSUSB 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1acc:1603 Midiplus Co, Ltd. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub[/code]

notice, how your midi device is displayed, and is available.
BUT I can see that pure data was not running, which was why I asked you to have it running…

this time, you have pure data running, but it appears your midi device is NOT connected
you can see PD is running , because it created the client 128 port
but clearly your midi device (midi plus) is now connected

ACONNECT 
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
	Connecting To: 15:0
client 15: 'OSS sequencer' [type=kernel]
    0 'Receiver        '
	Connected From: 0:1
client 128: 'Pure Data' [type=user]
    0 'Pure Data Midi-In 1'
    1 'Pure Data Midi-Out 1'
AMIDI 
Dir Device    Name
APLAYMIDI 
 Port    Client name                      Port name
LSUSB 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 4348:55e0 WinChipHead 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

instead you have WinChipHead device connected, what ever this is, it is not a USB class compliant midi device , we can see this from:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 4348:55e0 WinChipHead 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       128 
  bDeviceProtocol        85 
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x4348 WinChipHead

see how it says vendor specific class, this means its needs a special driver which is not supported.

so upshot, you should go back to the midi plus device, to me that looks like it should work,
you should just need to select it with settings -> midi on the organelle.

then run any patch, press some keys on the organelle, and monitor the input on the pyramid as i detailed above…

if thats not running, then run the diag tool, so we can see with the midi plus device if its connected to PD
(you can then look for the lines above in the log file, and check you can see both the midi plus usb device and the pure data client)

from what I saw on the first log this should work, you dont need anything particular with the Organelle, it just needs to be a USB class compliant midi device - we all use many different ones without trouble.

So grateful, it eventually works even though I am not sure why. I checked the midi setting, at first interface was not there as long it was plugged in the pyramid. Once disconnected, it appeard as a midi device in organelle, and it can be plugged in the Pyramid. And now it works as expected. The thing I don’t understand is how is this different from the setup of my first post… I am afraid it was somehow a very noob situation.

I will make sure to make a review of this cheap usb midi wire in the future.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. Looking forward bothering you in other threads with orac questions

1 Like

I still will give a try to another USB interface, this plugging

Immediate orac question, since I know you are an user of the combo pyramid/organelle: when sending midi sequences from pyramid to organelle, I have a lot of notes stuck in orac (I use basicpoly and sampler24). It was happening via USB, it is still happening via midi. Maybe you ran through the same issue?

Thx thx

nope, cannot say Ive come across this…
next time, I have it connected up, I’ll do a bit more of a stress test - but in normal use, Ive not seen it.

thats said , this assumes the pyramid is the only source of notes for THAT module.
if you start using the organelle keys or another (orac) sequencer on the same module (basicpoly/sampler24) then that would likely cause hung notes.
(similarly be very sure you don’t have things like midi loops)

personally, given the above… Id recommend you try to find a setup that works reliably,
in the above there are too many variables, to know whats causing your issues.
it’ll be much easier when you settle on a setup.

Hi Mark.

I just made a small video about these hung notes. It happen with the use of the stop pad of the pyramid. I can stop it by pressing a lot of keys. In this video, there is no sequencer module at all, only a s-basicpoly as first module in a 1x10 configuration. But it also happen in my usual 4x2 setup. I disconected the organelle midi out/ pyramid midi in for avoiding midi loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnwCj_EEeQ0&index=1&list=UUMm0F2ZZ7Er_5Wq1z58V2Ww

My solution so far is to use empty sequences instead of the stop button. This way, notes are correctly turned off.

It doesn’t seems to happen with non-orac patches, I did a test in the same condition with a basicpoly patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJkAgDI1D6Q&t=0s&list=UUMm0F2ZZ7Er_5Wq1z58V2Ww&index=2

I guess I can learn to avoid pressing the stop button!

Ah, yeah probably most patches don’t respond to all notes off

Oh ok, “all note off” is a specific message. I was thinking each note was receiving an individual “off” message. got it.