Help. Midi USB not working

Hi,

My impulse 61 stopped working with organelle. It did before. Organelle is not recognizing any midi device. It powers up the keyboard but there’s no Midi coming trough nor does it recognise it in Midi Devices. i’ve tried it with Midi man also which should be also class-compliant still nothing.
What am a doing wrong?!

Thanks!

need more info… what did you recently change? things don’t tend to just stop working :wink:
perhaps try a different USB cable?!

are you on OS 3.0/3.1? if so are the devices listed when you go to settings->midi?

if that still does not reveal anything, then you can run my DiagnosticLog (on patchstorage with instructions for use) and post the resulting file - this will tell us if the organelle is ‘seeing’ the devices.

Thanks @thetechnobear!

The only recent thing i did that might be the reason is WiFi network. Have been using Ralink 5370 dongle as suggested and i have entered the name of the network and pass in the .txt file. But that was about it. I did no patching or changes since I got it. Apart from adding patches and upgrading OS

• I am using OS 3.1. I have re-installed it again just to see if that makes any difference. It didn’t
  • No device is showing up in the settings midi
    Here are the Diagnostic Logs from three different midi devices I have plugged in. (Of Course, I’ve restarted the Organelle each time)

Impulse 61:

Diagnostic log
Sat Oct 17 01:08:03 UTC 2015
Organelle version 3.1

ACONNECT
client 0: ‘System’ [type=kernel]
0 'Timer ’
1 'Announce ’
Connecting To: 15:0
client 15: ‘OSS sequencer’ [type=kernel]
0 'Receiver ’
Connected From: 0:1

AMIDI
Dir Device Name

APLAYMIDI
Port Client name Port name

LSUSB

M-Audio MIDI man 2x2

Diagnostic log
Sat Oct 17 01:08:20 UTC 2015
Organelle version 3.1

ACONNECT
0 'Timer ’
1 'Announce ’
0 'Receiver ’

AMIDI
Dir Device Name

APLAYMIDI

LSUSB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Korg Nano Control

Diagnostic log
Sat Oct 17 01:07:37 UTC 2015
Organelle version 3.1

ACONNECT
0 'Timer ’
1 'Announce ’
0 'Receiver ’

AMIDI
Dir Device Name

APLAYMIDI

LSUSB

The name of devices in previous thread were written by me in order to divide the logs. Sorry if it seems confusing.

it’d be better if you upload the logs to something like dropbox, so I can see them in full
as the lsusb output appears to be missing on two of your examples…
and im pretty sure it usually has output from dmesg, which would be very useful.

is it possible to run again, ideally the steps would be
a) start organalle without device plugged in.
b) once its started, plug in device
c) run diagnostics log
(dont do anything between steps b and c)

(preferably do this without the wifi stick attached)

BUT…
from the looks of it, none of the devices can be see at all by the Organelle,
so this does not look like ‘software configuration’.

you definitely need to try with a different USB cable, one that you knows works with your computer.
also if possible, make sure any device that you have thats has a PSU/power input, use it…
(there can be issues with lack of power)

p.s. the korg nanokontrol others have working with the Organelle, so that we know should work.

Hi,

I’ve just tried to connecting trough powered usb hub and all works. So the issue was lack of power. I was plugging the controllers directly into organelle and that didn’t seem to work. I am sure it did previously. In theory there should be enough juice to run one midi keyboard. Do you think i should check something else (potential hardware malfunctions etc.) or this is just how it is?

Thanks for your help!!

Here is the link for diagnostics log with and without USB HUB

yeah, the logs are showing no activity without the hub.
so its definitely hardware related, rather than software/configuration.

depends on the keyboards, some keyboards without lights/display draw very little power… but some are pretty power hungry.
Ive seen before on Axoloti and rPI that some controllers only work with external power, hence why I suggested it.

what surprises me more, is your midiman and nanokontol, id have thought they would be ok (obviously on their own)

also, almost all the USB devices I have here, work ok from bus power on the Organelle, so its more common that they work, than not.

could it be hardware? hard to say, as I don’t have these devices so can’t test them on my Organelle to see if it works there.
i guess you’d have to see if you can bus power anything from the Organelle to know for sure.

I don’t think anyone else here has reported this as an issue.

I guess the good news, is at least you have it working now.

when I plug the impulse 61 it lights the keyboard up. Same with MIDI Man.
WiFi dongle seems to be working fine plugged just in the organelle. So it is powering the units but then it does not recognize them for some reason…
My layman explanation is that it doesn’t get enough power so it messes something up which results in incomplete diagnostics etc.

My last question would be: Is there a way to do a fresh install of the whole system on organelle and should i even consider that with my limited computing knowledge. The reason being if everything is reset to its factory state and the problem still persists I will definitely know it is a hardware malfunction.

In any case, it works for now and I really do appreciate your help!

yeah, pretty much, just because the lights come on doesn’t mean its working properly.

yes, all you need to do is download the OS 3.1 image, then install this on to an > 8gb sdcard, using something like “Etcher” on your desktop.
(you’ll need an sdcard reader to do this!)

Im not sure Id say its a hardware malfunction, it could just be that for whatever reason the Organelle cannot supply quite enough power - this may be the case for all organelles.
as I said, you’d have to really test the same devices with another Organelle to see if they behaved any better.

BTW: quick thought, what power supply are you using with the Organelle?
Id make sure its a good supply, with 9v with a minimum of 2 amp.
if your using power supply with not enough power, then this perhaps would cause similar issues.

Hi @filipsijanec

RE: Impulse
There is little information in the Impulse manual about the power consumption via USB so it is hard to know what the Impulse requires. There are two sections in the manual (screenshots below) that both mention issues if using an unpowered hub. It sounds like the impulse may draw close to 500mA which is all that the USB port can provide. If so, this may lead to inadequate amperage if more than one device is connected to an unpowered hub.

Screenshot 1:
Impulse%20Power%20Requirements
Screenshot 2:

Additionally, I am uncertain about how ‘class-compliant’ the Impulse is. Novation provides drivers for it for Mac/Windows here. In the last paragraph of the second screenshot above, the Impulse manual mentions the driver needing time to ‘become active.’ Class-compliant devices don’t need drivers by definition.

__
RE: MIDI Man
There has been some discussion about the MIDI Man / MIDI Sport being fully class compliant here:

The general takeaway is that class-compliancy seems to depend on when it was made…

@thetechnobear thanks for your expert help as always!

I am using the American power adapter that came with Organelle which is interestingly 9V 1A… Do you think it might change if i get 9V 2A?

Thank you!! i will try this also.

Mine works when it’s plugged to powered USB Hub. Thanks for the link though.

Thanks @chrisk.

Is the max for Organelle’s usb 500mA?

…please keep reading after that quoted phrase :smirk:

Was just about to write that you already posted the answer and I am a bit slow :)! Sorry about that

1 Like

sorry , scrub that, i should have said 9v @ 1amp,
I mixed this up in my head with the rPI which uses 5v @ 2-2.5a.
(half the voltage, so needs twice the amps)

if you’re using the supplied C&G PSU it’ll be fine.
(a few of us Europeans have switched out the C&G one to get a European version, so wasn’t sure if this was the case here)

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I’ll post if i find something that might be useful for all.