Stoked

got setup today with usb wifi, syncing with ableton link, and jamming on the modular with it.
now i just gotta learn me some PD. looking into tutorial videos and stuff…any pointers on what to start with? i have some experience with max msp, and a huge amount with modular synthesis. so far, watching videos everything seems very close to max msp.

anyways, really stoked on all these wonderful patches!!!

3 Likes

if you know max/msp its very similar
(just make sure you use triggers, like max… as the default execution order is different)

main thing , I found, was getting used to new objects, you could use Cyclone (which gives you many max objects), but I preferred to ‘tough it out’ initially, just so i had a better understanding what was in PD Vanilla (organelle only has vanilla on it, not extended)

(somewhere there is a document, called something like ‘PD for max programmers’ … or similar :wink: )

I think best approach initially is to do a combo of, building your own basic patches, and extending existing ones.
when extending, start with simple goals, and simple patches, some of C&Gs early patches (basic poly) are great examples.

once you are happy with the basics, I highly recommend you look at some of C&G later patches, the ones that allow you to change FX etc. (like 1008) - these are a little complex to understand initially BUT they are extremely well structured, and flexible … if you can learn how to patch within that ‘framework’ , you will be really happy with the results :slight_smile:
(note: depending on your previous max/msp experience, time ,inclination this may or may not be a bit ambitious)

overall, like all programming… just get stuck in, save frequently … you only learn by doing… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

welcome man.
check out these videos C&G did:

1 Like

@wannop @thetechnobear
thanks a lot for the pointers. i’ll be diving in here and report back soon. reverse engineering is honestly the only thing i was good at in max. so i’ll do that here on poly, etc. really loving the simplicity of the organelle interface with the amazing openness of pd gutz!!!
excited to be part of y’alls community here. i’m an old monome guy and currently been making insane loopers/drum machines/samplers with the orthogonal devices er-301. these two will be so happy together along with the op1 :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks for this guidance, @thetechnobear. I started scratching into PD and wonder if there is a document that lists all the Organelle specific PD objects?

The Organelle runs Pd vanilla, which is to say it only has the basic set of Pd objects, the same you get when you install Pd on any other computer. It does have a few extra objects installed to help Pd communicate with the Organelle hardware, but these are not generally needed or useful for developing patches. There are however many objects you can install (from the Pd extended set for example) and use on the Organelle:

yeah, as others have said…
the Organelle hardware (knobs/screen) are updated using standard OSC messages, however to make this a bit easier, this is wrapped by mother.pd which is loaded at the same time as your patch… so if you look at a patch, you will see pure data sends and receives (just like max) , these are actually coming from mother.pd which is handling the sending and receiving of osc message.
the good news is, once you’ve look at a patch or two, the structure is pretty simple.
and as @Wannop pointed out, C&G have made a couple of videos which explain this very well.

one thing you will see, once you start looking deeper is that once you start getting into ‘multipage menus’ then various people have created ‘wrappers’ to handle setting up the pages, and also dealing with the knobs.
(e.g. you have to know that if your on page 2 , knob 1 is cutoff frequency, but if your on page 4 it might be reverb amount)
so when you start looking at this, then you become less interested in the OSC messages, and just more in how those PD abstractions work, e.g. what messages do they send your patch, and what do you need to do to set things up.

unfortunately, of course they all work differently, andi recommend just getting used to one for your own patches… but if you start adapting others, you’ll see a few slightly different approaches.
(don’t worry though, most are pretty straightforward, you only need to use them rather than how they work :wink: )

anyway, as I said in my first post, I recommend you just jump in, visual programming is really designed to do this, its not that hard once you get a few basics understood :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, @thetechnobear. :slight_smile: I’ve already started plinking around a bit. Fun stuff!

1 Like