SunVox on M <3

as trackers now seem to becoming popular again, I wanted to give them a go…
time to install SunVox onto the Organelle-M for a totally portable solution

details:

• powered off Organelles’s 4 x AA batteries
  • 7" Waveshare hdmi touchscreen
  • small wireless keyboard

install is pretty simple:
(sorry, this is not a full guide/install at this time)

• install monitor (adjust boot/config.txt)

• remount sdcard writeable

• install SDL2
    sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0

• download sunvox
    wget https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox-1.9.5d.zip

• unpack it, I put in /sdcard/System

• run SunVox, adjust display settings
    basically scale the UI up, so that its useable on a small screen

• in sunvox config file add:
    softrender 1

• make music, have fun!

Ive got a couple of things I want to improve on it.
a) make so I can launch from organelle menu
b) allow the organelle keys and pots to be used to control stuff.

(b) requires creating a small program that outputs the Organelles keys/pots as midi, which can then be used/mapped within SunVox.

10 Likes

super cool! I presume it’s also possible on the Organelle 1?

No, I doubt it’d work on the organelle-1 as its single core, and not got as much memory.

aha ok thanks for the reply!
Maybe a dumb question but do you know if there would be a technically realistic way of super charging the Organelle 1? I very much prefer the original design :wink:

1 Like

Yes … and no

This brings organelle-1 close to specs of the M (*)
but the issue is the organelle-1 operating system ( arch linux) is much older and this gives some hardware issues ( eg this touchscreen doesn’t work on organelle-1), and upgrading the operating system proved difficult due to the SOM used by the organelle-1.
( see hacking category, I’ve posted lots of details there).

The organelle-m by contrast uses the RPI CM3 which is very well supported, and will be for a long time - a great move by C&G!
This means it’s much simpler to get new software on to.

——————
(*) Note : to be clear it’s not possible to use a CM3 on the organelle-1, as requires a different pcb.
The above ‘upgrade’ used the same family SOM, just a more powerful version.

1 Like

thanks for the info - Sorry I should have found your previous posts about supercharging too … very much appreciated that you took the time though! I’m a bit loathed to replace the 1 with the M but I can see why it would be worth it technically.

Where would one start with this Mark? A python script run at boot-up?
How does one reference the keyboard and pots?

Thanks in advance…

I could help you with a pd patch that sends midi notes and ccs from the organelle keys / pots. in different channels. Does Sunvox have midi clock sync? maybe it’s possible to run pd sequences in parallel with Sunvox tracks…

if you install from my instructions in the first post,

all you really need is a simple shell script to start this from the menu (no need for python)

using the keyboard/display/pots of organelle.
so without creating some specific sunvox module the interation would be limited to simple midi.

as @Servandob mentions you could do this with a simple PD patch, and have pd running at the same time as sunvox.
(becareful, iirc, by default mother host will kill pd when it launches script - so might be necessary to launch it manually as well as sunvox)

the alternative would be to write something (c++/python whatever) that listens to the osc messages sent by the ‘mother host’ and remaps these simply to midi messages.

which is better?
well pd is simpler, and possibly you could have fun creating different pd patches to go with sunvox.
however, it will consume cpu - so a separate process that listens to osc messages and creates midi would be leave more cpu for sunvox.
(not sure if sunvox is multi core - if not, then this doesnt matter much!)

Really surprised this didn’t get more attention at the time. . .
This would be an even easier intro for people as far as patching goes.
This would be really neat to have with preset loading from the organelle and still being able to connect a monitor to create your patches. Maybe a transport control and a pattern play/song play toggle,
I’m not really concerned about the sequencing features though.