Super noob/green question about Organelle + DAW

Hellooo, what would be the most direct/easiest method for recording on-board sounds into Ableton? Would that method differ from using the Organelle as a MIDI controller?

Hi Hawkbite,

The Organelle has a few kinds of outputs; the two you will likely be using in your green stage (not to imply that I am any less green) is the midi out and the line out. The line out is a quarter inch cable, often seen used with guitars/amps. This carries whatever sounds the box is making directly out to an amp, an effect pedal chain, a mixer, or a USB audio interface. You will likely need to be using a USB audio interface to record your sounds in ableton (this is the most direct method that will still have a solid sound quality imo, you could mic the organelle but that would sound a lot thinner). I’m using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which you can find on amazon for ~110$, but there are a lot of choices out there.

Your Midi out sends “Midi data” out to a device, which usually entails note information and tempo information. That being said, the notes are totally devoid of any of the sound characteristics of the Organelle. This is useful if you are trying to synch up several instruments with a chain of midi in and midi out, like a drum machine running midi out to a synth with an arpeggiator so the arpeggiator stays in sync with the beat.

This is a super rudimentary answer but I hope it was somewhat helpful.

1 Like

Super-rudimentary is my first language at this point, so your explanation was exactly what I needed. Thanks!