Turing Machina - Sequencer

Why not pick one and then have ability to dial in another octave or two using a knob?

yes - the intend is to set the quantization and octave range independently.

1 Like

Sorry have quite a lot work at the moment… so you need some patience with me! :sweat_smile:

In the mean time: heres a recording of my last live performance in which i used this
patch to steer curtain modules of my live setup.

beware its drownie :sleeping:

2 Likes

a question about the above scales: why is there a 12? when i count the keys of one octave there are 12 (0-11 in midi). i ask this because, i need to map the numbers to the octaves (octave 2-3 means > 24 - 47 in Midi), - but that 12 annoys me (0 - 12 are 13 keys) :confused: .

can i delete that 12? in the above scale list? i think so.

Heres a Midi chart for the notes:
LARGE

The 12 is so that it knows the size of the last interval.
EigenD ( which this is from) handles any scale, so actually the last note does not have to be 12, it could be 15.

So yes you could delete , if you are assuming a 12 note scale

@thetechnobear omniscient :raised_hands: Thanks man!

There is also the Octatonic aspect, but not needed in this case…

1 Like

nah, I’m just also an eigenharp fan :slight_smile:

a couple of other ideas for you… depending if you want to be fixed to 12 tone scales, or more flexible.

a) scala scale format (.scl)
probably the most supported format is scala
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
its a pretty simple format, and you can get pretty much any scale in this format.
but might be a bit overkill for this.

b) binary format
ok, this is my own format which i use for simple 12 notes scales, its kind of an implementation format, and will handle all the above… but not microtone scales etc.

simply put, imagine a 12bit binary number where each bit represents a semitone (high bit = tonic), and 1 = in scale, 0 - out of scale

chromatic 0b1111111111111
natural minor 0b1010110101011

why this format? well its really compact in memory a scale takes 2 bytes.
its also very easy to see if a note is in a scale : ((1 << notenum) & scalemask) and also quantising is then as simple as rotating note, till you get true
(where notenum = 0-11, is offset by tonic, and then modulo 12)
… so given how cheap bit operations are its much cheaper than using floats/ints, and comparing values.
(ive been using this in both MEC for the Ableton push scales, and also on axoloti, where memory is critical)

i don’t have a list of scales, but you can see its pretty easy to convert from the eigend format to it.

2 Likes

Sorry, just to say “wizardry“ and over n’out.

holy, this sounds like rocket science to me! for the moment i am happy when some scales are working within my patch :slight_smile:

apologies, i thought this might be simpler - but depends on if your familiar with binary logic/maths, so perhaps not for everyone.

anyway, go for whatever seems easier to understand, the organelle is not so constricted on cpu/memory… and if your doing in PD, that presents its own challenges.
good luck.

sorry to disappoint!

Version 3 is out!

https://patchstorage.com/turingmachina/

Multipage with even more control like clock divider/multiplier, quantised with 15 different scales to choose from and a reverb (audio through) to spice up your Synths.

*Page 1 – Sequencer
Knob 1: Select Steps to Random
Knob 2: Amount of change (randomness)
Knob 3: Octaves
Knob 4: Step length (2-8 Steps)

*Page 2 – Settings
Knob 1: BPM
Knob 2: Clock Multiplier/Divider
Knob 3: Key duration
Knob 4: Quantisation Scale

*Page 3 – Midi
Knob 1: Midi Channel

*Page 4 – Reverb
Knob 1: Room Size
Knob 2: Dampening
Knob 3: Dry/Wet
Knob 4: Predelay

Aux: Play / Stop / Clear (hold for 1 sec.)

You can set a starting Note by pressing it on the note keys then hold the Aux-Button for 1 second. Knob 3 on page 1 is also an octave changer for the keys of the organelle.

ENJOY!

10 Likes

Epiiiiiiic! This is great, man.

1 Like

Did a video with an overview of all functions of the Turing Machina patch. With my Volca Keys :laughing:

6 Likes

Quite wonderful, and thanks for taking the time to do a tutorial video. :smiley:

This acts as a midi controller, yes?
So I would need a device to receive the signal from the Organelle?
If so, does anyone know if an OP1 would be able to accomplish this on its own? Or would I need an interface of some kind bridging them?

The OP1 and Organelle work great together. No intermediary needed.

I didn’t think so. I was reading on the op1 forum that others have had to use some form of interface though, so I wasn’t sure.

Any ideas on how I can run through my op1. I tried connecting them. I’m sure I’m missing a step somewhere. Just not positive where.

Worked with me without any problems.

Here is what i did (in order):

• Started Organelle
  • Started OP1
  • Hooked them via USB cable together
  • Started TuringMachina Patch
  • Selected a Synth on OP1
    Done.

2 Likes