HDMI Splitter

I currently run the HDMI from Eyesy to my Black magic Intensity Shuttle and it works great. I’d like to simultaneously run a monitor via HDMI so I am thinking about trying a splitter like this…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019C9UQTO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_BR7YDGTK6S7NBN0RW5TG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m using this “HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out - Techole” on RasPi and it works great so far. (this one is powered via USB - whereas the one you linked is not. I’m not sure if that makes a huge difference or no)

Hoping to test on EYESY hardware soon.

UPDATE/EDIT: based on another user’s experience, this Techole model does not appear to work with EYESY hardware (wrong resolution specs?). This spitter from Monoprice is alternative (more expensive at AMZN)

3 Likes

Thanks. I am really hoping I can get away with something that is passive because I already have a good amount of cable clutter! If not, then I will probably go with something like the one you are using.

I am using a passive HDMI splitter like this and it works great. One out goes to a monitor, the other to a capture card.

1 Like

Oh no.
Apologies for steering you wrong.

If you got it from Amazon it’s likely you can do a return if it’s not working.

I’ll have to check resolutions and report back.
@jjdeprisco EDIT: 1024x600 on my pi for the little 7in screen I’m using.

(Messages out of order due to edit)

Sorry, had to revise this…

@okeyron - I think it’s a resolution issue. What were you using on your Pi?

So I decided to get the Techole splitter you mentioned. Pretty disappointed. It’s not working to split the Eyesy to two devices. Maybe because the Eyesy is 1280 x 720p?? All of the cables I am using work independently of the Techole, so I don’t think it’s a cabling issue.

It IS working with another SD player, but only when set to 1080p.

I also noticed that if you unplug the USB power to the splitter, it remains powered by the incoming HDMI connection - so in a way this is nice.

Yep, definitely think it’s resolution:

4K Crystal Clear Picture - Techole 4K HDMI splitter supports resolutions, including 3D, 4K x 2K@30hz, 1080P @30hz, 1080P @60hz. You can share the most luxurious video and audio with your friends or families. Note: Not support HDCP 2.0 & 2.2.

1 Like

@jjdeprisco I am running the splitter with no issues on the Eyesy hardware, the same thing you are trying to do, split to a monitor and capture card. It’s bus powered, so doesn’t require extra power cables. I’m using a cheaper capture card than the Black Magic, works great with OBS and all other video apps I use. I stream with it regularly and record video & audio into Quicktime for easy jamming. I see my Monoprice link was reposted into the edit of the first reply, that is the exact model I am using. The model you originally posted looks like it would work too.

@okyeron is doing fancy things with a RasPi including openFrameworks builds, which don’t always behave the same as the actual EYESY hardware version in my experience. You definitely need something that will run at 1280 x 720p, that is the native Eyesy resolution.

Did a bit of research on splitters earlier and I’m wondering if the HDMI version matters here? The monoprice one says HDMI-2.0 while the Techole is HDMI-1.4. (Or is it the HDCP version?)

There also seems to be a “specs-gap” between 1080p and 4K in most of the splitters I looked at (anything above 1080 is not mentioned aside from 4K). However, the Monoprice one does specifically say “Supports 16: 10 computer resolutions up to 1920x1200p”.

My capture cards use HDMI 1.4b up to 1080p 60fps. I believe HDMI 2.0 is higher bandwidth for 4K UHD, but that is not necessary for the Eyesy at 720p.

1 Like

I ran my SD player at 720p and confirmed the splitter simply doesn’t work at that setting. Then when I changed to 1080p it was fine. Picts attached. So it is the splitter. Going to look for one with different specs.

1 Like

Continuing this thread of HDMI splitters, I have confirmed the Ferrisa model below works great with the Eyesy. It accepts the 1280 x 720 input just fine. I am using it to send signal to my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle as well as a large monitor so that I can always see the raw output at any time.

FERRISA 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch,4 in 2 Out Matrix HDMI Video Switcher Splitter +Optical & L/R Audio Output,Support Ultra HD 4K x 2K,3D 1080P,Audio EDID Extractor with IR Remote Control & Power Adapter

This was overkill for the basic 1x2 split that I needed before, but I also needed something that accepted multiple HDMI signals. So I am also using this unit with an SD player, Canon camera, and a few other things.

I also ordered the Monoprice splitter (mentioned earlier) and will report back once I can test with it.

1 Like

Happy to report that my Monoprice splitter got here today, and unlike the Techole splitter (which did not work), the Monoprice works great. Here I am using it to split Eyesy to an LCD and an LED projector.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15252&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhLq_hrPv7gIVQTytBh3HewYsEAQYBCABEgLTkfD_BwE

All ready for in-person jams and gigs… whenever that is. Until then… it’s virtual!!

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve been using a splitter as well. …split signal to projector and capture card into my computer. Super fun and have been able to use it for REAL. PUBLIC. GIGS!!

They are finally trickling back. (At least where I live anyway)

FWIW - I was able to make the Techole splitter work on EYESY hardware by changing the display configs a bit (which I needed for my little 7in display)

@okyeron Can you kindly give specifics? Do you mean you changed the Eyesy display output? If so, how?

Yes - changing the system level display settings by modifying /boot/config.txt

(Although I’m guessing this is not a “recommended” thing to do and could have other implications, so only try at your own risk.)

On EYESY you would need to remove the SD card, mount that on another computer and then edit `/boot/config.txt’

The little 7in display I use on my desk for preview has recommended settings as follows:

### 7in HDMI settings
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#display_hdmi_rotate=2
max_usb_current=1
config_hdmi_boost=10
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

So this is setting the system HDMI output to 1024x600

These settings are different for different displays, so I’d not suggest changing them unless your specific display requires it (and has specific settings recommended)

OK, thanks for sharing. That is definitely way too fiddly for me. Something like this has to work when I plug it in!

I don’t mind editing/programming my own modes, but when it comes down to changing the nature of the boot routine of the device - and in this case, taking a step backward in resolution - then that’s just to much of a PITA to get a silly splitter to work. I’ll just use a splitter that works properly right out of the gate!

It’s a set it and forget it type of thing… but yeah.

Understood, but in my case this specific display does not support the higher resolution and I’m not worried about only having 1080ish res so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

In the end we’ve established that one device does not work “out of the box” and than another one does work properly so that’s good overall. Luckily these splitter devices are pretty inexpensive.