More Organelle MIDI sync woes

Hi,
I’m using a Singular Sound BeatBuddy as a master clock for my system, which is:

Beat Buddy --> Mio interface IN --> Organelle USB --> Mio interface OUT --> Modular

The problem I’m having is this: when I start the BeatBuddy and begin sending clock, sometimes the Organelle comes on in perfect sync with it: other times, it is a little bit off. FWIW, the sync between the BeatBuddy and Modular always seems rock solid, regardless of what the Organelle is doing.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is sometimes not properly synced. If I keep pressing the pedal on/off, eventually I will get it in sync. This brings me to my next issue, however: sometimes when it seems like it’s in sync, it will add an extra beat to the end of any loop I create.

For what it’s worth, I am using the sequencer built in to the “Basic Poly” patch from the SEQ-03 pack. I made a short video demonstrating exactly what’s happening, in case it’s helpful:

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Andrew

Additional thoughts upon further investigation:

The BeatBuddy is outputting a 4tr note pulse. It kind of seems like the Organelle is on its own 16th note pulse, which is sync’d to the BeatBuddy’s incoming clock, but at the 16th note resolution. Consequently, when I press the BeatBuddy pedal to start the clock, the Organelle gets in sync, but frequently on a different 16th note subdivision of the beat, and not necessarily the downbeat.

I really have no idea if this is what’s actually happening, but it’s my best guess based on the fact that I will, on occasion, get everything to be in perfect sync. Then, if I stop the BeatBuddy and start it again, it’s anyone’s guess as to whether I will get it to be in sync on the downbeat again. Eventually, if I stop and start it enough times, I’ll get it back in sync.

Is it possible that the Organelle is ignoring the “Reset” command that the BeatBuddy is sending, and if so, is there anyway to modify the Sequencer 3 patch so that it essentially “restarts” on receipt of the first clock pulse? I know the BB is sending a Reset signal, as it’s showing up on the µMIDI downstream from the Organelle whenever I start the BB.

So, this morning I tried a little experiment, and set up the Organelle to receive MIDI from Pro Tools via my computer. I’m thinking that perhaps the BeatBuddy is doing something weird that the Organelle doesn’t agree with. Unfortunately, the problem persists, even with the BB out of the equation.

I then took it a step further, and swapped the Mio interface for my MidiMan 2x2. Alas, the problem still persists.

This leads me to think that the problem is most definitely with the Organelle, and not the BeatBuddy.

Sorry to keep flogging this horse here — I have owned the Organelle for about a year now, and unfortunately, I have never really been able to get it to sync to external beat clock successfully (i.e. consistently). It seems like getting the Organelle to sync to a 4tr note MIDI beat clock would be one of the most basic of tasks, and I’m sure I’m to blame. I just don’t know what to do.

This does sound like a problem with the Organelle patch. It looks like the sequencer 3 stuff is in fact ignoring the MIDI start command. The problem is in the file metronome360.pd which is located in CG-Pd-Library-Local/metronome folder. Can you try replacing that file with this one. The fix is simple, but I have not tested it.

metronome360.pd (8.3 KB)

Thanks so much, Oweno. I will give this a try later tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes. I’m glad my diagnosis seems more or less plausible to you.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi oweno,
I wanted to confirm that this fixed the issue I was having. Thank you so much! I am very grateful.

One question if you get this: does the Organelle prefer to see MIDI clock in any particular PPQ format, or are they essentially all the same to it?

Best,
Andrew