Mutable Instrument patches

Okay. Thanks a lot for that! I’ve ordered the split cable so I can play around with my stereo Microkorg.

1 Like

This is seriously fantastic! I was just talking to Oliver himself about releasing a standalone synth like Shruthi-1 but for modal / physical modeling synthesis like elements or rings where i could save presets. And BOOM the next day i get and organelle and youve basically changed my life. THANKS SO MUCH.

I have a lot of these devices on my eurorack gear and I’ve gotten quite used to their various character. The biggest difference I’ve run into (and It is probably just the nature of the organelle’s controls) is that for example in brds, when i tweak a knob such as the “contour” or “timbre” the output is “stepped” as in the sound jaggedly changes instead of the smooth results that using cv on those parameters yields. It does tend to be smoother if i turn the knobs more slowly, but basically i was wondering if there is a way to implement some type of “smoothing” to the brds patch so that more drastic knobs twists wouldn’t make such jagged or “stepped” sounding results? Thanks for doing this seriously.

3 Likes

I’m glad you are enjoy it :slight_smile:

I’m new to PD and Organelle myself (though not DSP/programming ;)) so still exploring its limits/character.
There is a part of this that is due to the hardware - the organelle, is running at much larger audio buffer sizes than MI hardware, this means that the ‘control rate’ is also higher , i.e. we are only getting knob movements every 2ms (?) rather than on hardware where its sub ms, which is where the steps come from.

as you say, I can smooth the values, but this may make the knobs feel slow/laggy especially for larger movements… id need to test this. (this is a bit of ‘trivial pd’, so quick/easy to test)

another way (more complex) way might be to split the audio buffer up into sub buffers, then smooth the movement of the turn over those sub buffers … this should retain the feel, but will cost more cpu - how much will depend upon the external.

anyway, I wanted to get most of the patches/externals ‘out there’, but I do plan to refine them, and also to make different patches that use them in different ways, as you’ll know from your eurorack, these modules alone can be combined in so many ways to create fantastic instruments :slight_smile: (and we still have other PD things we can ‘throw into the mix’)

however… after the first pass of these modules, I want to work on something else (for organelle) that will help me dramatically improve the usage of these (and other) modules - but no details on that yet, as its still in the ‘idea/design/planning’ phase.

3 Likes

I posted this up on the elektron forum (I use an octatrack to sequence me organelle) mostly as a demo of the mutable instruments patches because I always see posts there of people complaining of being tempted into modular gear. Maybe not much use here as everybody probably already uses these patches, but hey - im now a content provider. Lose 10 minutes to watching me naively play around with some cool organelle patches.

3 Likes

great stuff. hey, i was wondering, did you load new samples into bash_bastard? did you make them or download some shared samples somewhere? i want to use it but the samples click a bit and it requires so many little .wav files.

The sounds are from a pack of microtonic samples i downloaded from the patreon page ‘cuckoomusic’. Blavatsky gave me directions on how to rename the files to be loaded into bash_bastard. You can find his directions in the comments on the bash_bastard patchstorage page. It’s only $1 to access the samples on cuckoos page - I recommend it!

thanks for the information!

here’s about 50 free ones from the vaults

4 Likes

I only get external sound while I’m pressing down an organelle note key. Is that supposed to be the way it works?

Also, Drive R doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

sorry, it sounds amazing. but leaves me with lots of questions.

DriveR is used, I need to double check when you hear it’s affect , it might only be for some algos.
( it’s drive2 … not sure if MI manual might provide some light )

Yeah, for WrpBrds I primarily set it up as a synth for the patch , so it’s going thru an envelope - I’m going to add a envelope bypass to allow for non keyed use.

1 Like

small updates:

• 0.2 of WrpsBrds now has a ‘gate lock’ on the extras page, and Ive also changed the ‘drive labels’ to reflect the MI documents. Gate lock is useful if you want to use Wrps as an effect.
    note: as it locks the gate, it still subject to the env, so you’ll probably want to put env sustain to 100%
  • 0.2 of lmnts, fix mod pitch which was being incorrectly stored/recalled
1 Like

These are awesome! I made a change to wrpbrds and lmnts handling of monophonic voice stealing ( I was getting a lot of notes cutoff when I released the previous key after hitting the next one).
I used some code from claudio here: https://forum.pdpatchrepo.info/topic/8697/midi-input-for-monophonic-sinthesizers.
I’ve included them here (they also have windows DLLs for the mutable instruments externals :upside_down_face:)
WyrpBryds.zip (3.0 MB)
ylymynts.zip (1.2 MB)

1 Like

this one doesn’t seem to unzip. I’m not sure why.

Hey @andy

Try using The Unarchiver for unzipping the file. Or some other unzipper program. I just did it with Unarchiver and it works here.

1 Like

strange. that’s what I always use and it worked for ylymynts. I managed to solve the problem by unzipping it through an online unzipper instead of unarchiver.

1 Like

I had to fiddle with 7zip settings to that one under the 3 MB limit, must not work with all unarchivers.
I split it into one archive with the patch and the pd_linux externals, and another with just the windows DLLs.
WyrpBryds_base.zip (1.7 MB)
WyrpBryds_dlls.zip (1.9 MB)

1 Like

cool…

a small reminder (Ive stated before…)

whilst my repo allows all the externals to be built for windows (dll), mac os (dylib, Linux (including non-arm) - they are for ‘use as-is’/testing.

I’ve limited time at the moment, so Organelle is the primary focus - I don’t have time to resolve/look into any issues you might find on other platforms. e.g. you may have issues where a pc/mac is using different sample rate/buffer sizes.
also, id point out these are not optimised for non-arm, and MI (afaik) only run this code for testing purposes on non-arm platforms, so it could be there are ‘sound artifacts’.

the lack of time for support/resolving issues, is the reason I have not released all the externals for all platforms… that and the fact, they are still under development, so will be updated ‘frequently’, so having to build for 4-5 different platforms becomes quite time consuming.
once… they are more ‘complete’, I will build/release a full set of externals, and ensure everyone knows where the source code is. (not hard to find , even now :wink: )

as I said, cool/happy for you to use ‘as is’, as far as Ive played with them in testing, they seem to sound ok. fyi - my main build/test platform is macOS, but I do the odd bit of build/test for windows/linux mainly to ensure cross platform compatibility.

also, if your a developer, I’m happy to accept pull-requests for issues you find need resolving on other platforms (just confirm they don’t break Organelle as well :wink: )

are there premade cld.pd_darwins out there?
i would be grateful for those so i can build organelle patches that use them on my mac too

Errr, read the post above !?

If you want just go to my github page ( hint my username is the same eveywhere!) clone the Mi4Pd repo and just type make.
Note: you need pd installed. … oh and dev tools on a Mac.

Just don’t start distributing them, or versions I’ve not released already - it will create issues, will also p*** me off :wink: