Organelle OS 3.1 TB Beta

Ok beta 3 is here , with some new goodies :wink:

Improved MIDI

With 3.0 we introduced specifying midi devices with alsa device numbers… so your keyboard might be 28:0.
this is ok, but has an issue if you start plugging in multiple controllers, as the order you plug them in, will determine their device numbers
In Beta 3 this changes… now devices are ‘named’, so regardless of order plugged in, or if they are plugged into a usb port, they will still be connected.
so you will now see the config file contains lines like:

aconnect "Ableton Push 2:0" "Pure Data:0"

(rather than aconnect 28:0 128:0)
note: the old format is still compatible.

oh, Ive also removed the annoying ‘press encoder’ after saving a midi setup :wink:

Pedal support

There is a new configuration option for pedal support
Settings->Pedal setup

(tip: this creates a ‘config file’ called pedal-cfg.sh, and can be overriden in same way as other files like midi config/mother.pd)

Expression pedals - Expr Min, Expr Max

these specify the range of your expression pedal (min and max)

an example… you plug in your pedal, you find its not quite reaching maximum or minimum on a patch…
if you start PD, you’ll find it never quite goes to 0.0 or 1.0… how to fix, well simply turn up Min until you get 0, and turn down max, until you get 1.0

if you want to be precise a simple pure data patch can tell you the values., simply [r expRaw] -> [print]

this will now print the ‘raw’ values of you pedal , so put it fully up… (mine read 10), now press it fully down (mine rad 830) , set the ExprMin , Expr Max to these values (10, and 830 respectively)

you can also use these value to just reduce travel of the pedal if you wish.

added bonus, if you reverse Min/Max, (e.g. make MIN=1023,MAX=0) , it reverses the ‘polarity’ of the pedal :slight_smile:

Footswitch - Switch Mode

Current Modes:
Patch - is the current behaviour, when the footswitch is pressed, its passed to the patch to interpret
Favourites - when the footswitch is pressed (well actually released), it will switch to the next ‘favourite patch’

This was asked for before, so i implemented
if this is popular Ive a few other ideas in mind ,for other modes:
Sustain, OctaveUp, OctaveDown, Aux, and Freeze.

the idea behind these is is to give some ‘standard behaviour’ to the footswitch rather than leave it up to the patch, which often dont do anything useful (in my experience)

( a patch can select a mode e.g. to put it back in patch mode, send the message /pedal/switchMode 0)

4 Likes