Organelle OS version 4.0

This is expected - the file system on the MicroSD card is not readable by MacOS. Using the WiFi adapter is the best way to customize files on the microSD card’s storage partition: https://www.critterandguitari.com/manual?m=Organelle_Manual#43-using-internal-microsd
If you don’t want to use WiFi, you can use a USB hub so that you can still use a USB drive for patches and open up a USB port.

Just installed this on my M and it seems to be working great!

Now how do I install the ELSE library? I did it on my old sd card, but can’t seem to find it in Deken now.

Edit: I can’t remember if I installed it with Deken, or some other way last time…

Edit2: I did it manually by copying the files from the old sd-card.

In Organelle M when I use ORAC the Output VU meter don’t work with OS version 4.0

Everything else works great.

I posted it again, sorry.
The solution works great.

Thanks @thetechnobear !

1 Like

Hey quick question about preserving my patches. Can I simply copy them to a usb stick and then back to the sd card after I get 4.0 flashed. Is it enough to copy the patches and media folder?

Yes I did this! If you have used any externals you also need to install those.

Externals as in? Sorry I don’t fully understand. VNC?

Externals are Pure Data objects that does not come standard with PD but that can be created, installed and used in PD.

If you have not installed or used some then don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

Hey guys, brand new to the Organelle! Picked up an Organelle M a few weeks ago and updated to 4.0 today. Everything seems to be working fine besides the built in speaker, which is whisper quiet when cranked to full volume. Wasn’t like this before 4.0, is this a known issue? Headphone jack and mains output are working just fine.

There’s nothing in the OS update that would affect the speaker. (The OS (and patches, etc.) doesn’t even ‘know’ there’s a speaker connected at all.)

Can you check that the speaker switch found on back panel is set to ‘On’?

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. The speaker switch is set to on, and was working just fine before the update. I reflashed the SD again and now the system won’t even boot, gonna try and reflash again. No idea what the issue is.

Running a Mac w/ unarchiver and balenaEtcher, followed the manual exactly.

Got 4.0 to work now, but same thing as before. Very very low volume when the speaker is on and fully cranked (basically inaudible unless you put your ear right up to it). Speaker cuts out when turned off with the switch.

This does not sound related to the update. Please contact us here.

I opted for a 16GB card, all works fine, but I cannot use the remaining 7GB unallocated space, cannot extend the partition where the patches are, or even make an usable one. How can I solve this? Should I go back to an 8 GB card instead? I’m on Organelle1.

If is fine to use the 16GB card, even without extending the partition. What steps did you take to enlarge the partition? There are a few ways to do this if you need the extra space, but it isn’t necessary.

i’m running into issues with the organelle 1 and vnc. xvnc cpu utilization without any patch loaded seems to spike 20% or so ever couple minutes which causes increasing latency leading to packet loss and then a drop in the connection for 10 seconds or so. it gets a little better if i kick the resolution down to 1024x768 in the start-vnc.sh script, but “better” means it just takes a little longer for it to drop. i have an M sitting next to it with the same dongle connecting to the same 2.4ghz AP and its operating fine with a low and consistent ping and no session drops. are there any optimizations to the server that might help me out? or services i can disable to free up some resources?

organelle-1 is using tigervnc, so you could checkout its documentation (vncserver), id assume depth and geometry will make biggest differences.
( i doubt there are services you can stop that will make any difference - you can use top/ps to look to see if theres anything else consuming large cpu/mem but its unlikely)

generally, though we have to remember organelle-1 is only a single core, so its having to run an X session, vnc, pure data and your patch all on that one core - whereas organelle-m can split that over its 4 cores. also the organelle-1 has less memory, so also potentially contention there.

I will say, however, I’ve run quite a bit bigger displays that 1024x768, and never altered depth and not had any issues, never had a connection drop or ‘hang’.
so id have suspected networking issues - but given your M is ok, that seems less likely - so not quite sure whats going on.

(disclaimer: generally, I only run VNC only to test, debug and fix patches, most of the time i do my main development on a mac)

I’m using Windows 10, and Mini tool partition wizard. It doesn’t even let me try to enlarge any partition, only move. I imagine I have to try something else, like on a Linux system and some other software. It’s not exactly necessary to me all that space (even tho maybe having it just for samples and recordings would be useful), I just want to use all the card, seems like a waste not to. I want to limit my USB to new patches, and use the ports for midi and wifi.

You can extend the partition by running gparted on a linux mint live running from a usb drive.
At least I did it from a macbook booting mint live without any issues.

1 Like

From what I gather here, there’s no reason for a less-than-technically-inclined Organelle-1 user to attempt to move to 4.0 at the moment, but if anyone wants to educate me, feel free!