Organelle USB Midi and MPC Live as a host

Hi there,

I’ve just updated my MPC Live to version 2.8 that now handles multi-MIDI, Yeah! As external devices, I have a 0-Coast which I can connect to Midi PIN out of my MPC and it works as expected and I’ve wanted to connect the Organelle as a synth via USB but niether the MPC or the Organelle is recognized. On the MPC Live, there are 3 ports: 2×USB Type-A ports + 1× USB Type-B port. Which one do I have to use and which kind of cable?

Many thanks.

USB Type-B port
so you use the same cable as you would to connect your computer to the MPC.
(so USB-A into organelle- USB B on MPC)

note: this will only work if the MPC is fully USB midi class compliant over that usb port.
( I don’t own an MPC, so don’t know how much about it)

I’ve checked on MPC forums and it seems that when you’re in standalone mode the MPC doesn’t allow the USB type B port to do anything (mount midi, audio, storage, etc…) Some user has had success connecting via one the USB type A port. On the Organelle manual, I’ve read something like:

Please remember that the Type A port is indicative of a USB host*. That is to say, the Organelle is a *host to USB devices like USB-MIDI cables and WiFi adapters. Your computer is also a USB host. You cannot connect two hosts directly together! Do not purchase a special USB A-to-A cable to connnect the Organelle to your DAW. It won’t work and you may damage your Organelle, computer, or both!

Does that means I’m stucked? Why the Organelle won’t allow USB Type A to A cable?

It seems also that both OP-1 and OP-Z are working with that type of connections.

Thanks in advance for any other useful infos,

Cheers,

Nicolas

if you cant use the USB-B, then yes you would need to use something capable of connecting two usb hosts. there are a few around, which have been mentioned on this forum (like this one )

you could also use a usb-midi adapter , connect the organelle and Mpc with this and then use the midi out of organelle to re-route midi from the mpc to the 0-coast

Hi there, I already tried this one, the MIDIMate eX
It works but… normally the 2.8 MPC firmware was supposed to get the USB midi to work but I dunno. All these connections between wifi, bluetooth, midi DIN, minijack, USB is really a bit a mess. I don’t have girl troubles like the Violent femmes song but cables troubles. :wink:

I’ll take a break from there for today and get back with new fresh mind soon.

Take care.

Does this thing will do the trick? Prost! diy device for connecting 2 midi hosts - #5 by nicolasbulb

Thanks.

@nicolasbulb I unfortunately don’t have an MPC to validate, but with the small collection of USB Midi devices I do have Norns: Fates, Arduinoboy, Organelle, and Mac running Ableton I’ve had no troubles. FWIW I’m waiting for 0-Coasts to be back in stock (they’re out of stock everywhere I’ve looked), once I have that I could test with what I have.

Building one is pretty easy, but if that’s tricky for you and you’re not in a rush I’m wrapping up a PCB design and hope to have the boards in hand by early July. Assuming there are no flaws or issues I would be willing to build you one for the cost of materials (e.g. 2 Pro Micros) and postage.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Does the Prost! a bit like this device?

Nicolas

As far as I’m aware (i.e. discern from reading on the interwebs), yes.

You can see me using the prototype version here (the thing with 4 red lights on the right).

Based in Switzerland, I’ve finally ordered the Sevilla USB MIDI USB device and it works like magic. The possibility to trigger the Organelle from my MPC Live are going to be so good. thanks for all your information @thetechnobear and @frederickk your prototype looks promising as well. Stay healthy.

2 Likes

Bumping an old thread to share my solution. Using a cheap USB Midi adapter plugged into the Organelle (E-MU XMidi 1x1) that terminates in a 5pin MIDI In/Out. These are plugged into my MPC One and are easy to route to. I’m currently experimenting with having the MPC run semi-automated visual accompaniment via @thetechnobear’s fantastic OTC 1.5.

Easy to route simple midi for the trigger modes - now to control the knobs as parameters in the MPC’s step sequencer.

Oh and if you really want to get crazy with MIDI routing - I highly recommend looking into the Blokas Midihub - you can plug in via USB to either the MPC or Organelle to massively increase your midi abilities (the little dang thing can even supply it’s own midi processing!)

Anyway - i hope you’ve been enjoying the MPC and Organelle!

Just to second @emosapien - I have an Organelle and an MPC One talking to each other via the Blokas Midihub, which works great. In fact, I can’t recommend the Midihub enough. In addition to simplifying my routing life, using the midi fx to experiment with generative music has been very fun!

Thanks to @emosapien and @eno_morricone for the feedback. This is where I feel this kind of forum is super useful when we share real solutions. I wasn’t aware of the Blokas MidiHub. It looks really well made. Do you have any video you can share when you’re using it with MPC and organelle? Many thanks. Nicolas

1 Like

@nicolasbulb - I don’t have any video at the moment, but next time I get all those pieces working together I’ll attempt to document it!

1 Like

Hey @eno_morricone, I hope you’re doing good. Any chance to see the combi of MidiHub and the Organelle? Cheers

1 Like

Hi @nicolasbulb , sorry to leave you hanging. Anything you’d like to see in particular? I’m probably going to sell the MPC soon, as I have decided I prefer the DAW experience. Currently I mostly use it to playback midi files, and then use the midihub to randomly distribute the notes to different synths on individual orac channels on the organelle. I’d be glad to take a quick video of how that works out if you’d like.
Cheers!

Hi @eno_morricone thanks for getting back to me. Well, some real live interactions between the MPC and the Organelle. If we stick with the initial idea of my post, I’ve wanted to control the Organelle as a slave, as an external synth where the MPC would lead. I’m specifically curious about MidiHub functions that the MPC couldn’t achieve. Many thanks.

Apologies for the offTopic question.
Does the mpcOne provide enough power for the blokas midihub?

Hi - it does provide enough power, so you could setup a preset in the editor (via your computer) to do what you want and then run it off the mpc’s power without needing to use a computer in the future.

1 Like